Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 9 2013, 06:07 AM   #76
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: First time watching Enterprise!

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
In the pilot Archer was openly hostile and insulting to Vulcan diplomats and threatened to knock one on her a$$ so him inviting the Vulcan captain over for a meal instead of immediately telling him to p!$$ off was friendly and diplomatic. It was just unfortunate that that particular Vulcan captain seemed to be as loath of humans as Archer is of Vulcans.
Friendly and diplomatic for him maybe. Archer really was a terrible choice to represent humanity in deep space making first contact for Earth.
Old January 10 2013, 02:19 AM   #77
NeedsOfTheMany
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View NeedsOfTheMany's Twitter Profile

I like Archer but those first 2 seasons were hit and miss with his character development.
NeedsOfTheMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:16 AM   #78
R. Star
Rear Admiral

NeedsOfTheMany wrote: View Post
I like Archer but those first 2 seasons were hit and miss with his character development.
Yeah, at least when he acted insane in season 3 and 4, there was a reason behind it.
Old January 10 2013, 05:42 AM   #79
NeedsOfTheMany
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View NeedsOfTheMany's Twitter Profile

It seems as if Scott overcompensated for the lack of character development by over doing it a lot in the first 2 seasons to create drama with his character.
NeedsOfTheMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 01:38 AM   #80
Merlanthe
Commander

Civilization

Classic trek story of the Enterprise crew observing a pre-warp civilization and finding that all is not as it seems. The bad guy was stereotypical clichť and obvious. Should have made his species more alien imho. Then they could have pulled his rubber mask off at the end and he could have proclaimed Ďand I would have gotten away with it too if it werenít for those darned humans!í

I adore the fashions in this episode except for Archers which looks overly flamboyant. Típol looks like an elf Is it mere coincidence that she and Trip have complementing outfits?

I really like the alien doctor lady she has a really pretty dress and a genuinely nice personality with a touch of eccentricity. Itís a shame they couldnít bring her with them but she was needed to help cure the sickness plus she was obviously one of the great minds of her world and of great value if her people were to advance in the field of medical science. They would probably still advance but more slowly without her gentle genius there to speed things along.

I also really like that they left the Vulcans to look out for these people. It shows that Archer is growing up a bit and more accepting of help and is consistent with the bit of development that he got in the previous episode. Overall this episode gets three and half stars the clichť villain failed to impress but everything else was great.
Old January 18 2013, 12:04 AM   #81
Merlanthe
Commander

Up next is the Fortunate son!

Nausicaans yaaay Seriously these guys do not get enough screen time or development as a species imho although these Nausicaans are kinda different than those seen on previous trek series. Shorter, greener and with forehead spikes?

Anyhow I really liked this episode. Sure it was obvious the freighter crew were hiding something and a little frustrating that Archer and his crew spent so much time helping them instead of investigating what was wrong. But its not like they spent the entire episode just accepting the freighter crew assurances that nothing was wrong at face value. Archer and co were suspicious fairly early on they just didn’t act on it until they had solid evidence to justify their suspicions. And that whole fixing the ship and adding useful upgrades then using it as leverage later to get the freighter crew to come clean was a pretty smooth move Archer actually impressed me this episode.

I think the acting freighter captain is suffering from PTSD. His conversations with Travis reveal that he survived some kinda tragedy so horrific people are scared to speak of it. I think that’s a big part of why he seems so bitter about the Nausicaanas and about Mayweather having left his freighter family to join Starfleet. He lost his family and friends not through choice doesn’t want to lose them again and cant understand why anyone would willingly give that up. Also hes out for revenge and since he cant get the guys who took his original family he will settle for the nausicaans.

It’s a shame cause he and Travis seemed to be getting along great until the freighter captains past tragedy was brought up. Its interesting how Travis gets developed here as he comes across as an over eager child for most of the episode (How old is he meant to be? Is he the Checkov?) but he stands up in the end and manages to convince the freighter captain into letting the Nausicaan go. He could have been more coherent in his speech but hes winging it and not used to speaking so publicly so he did a good job under the circumstances. I definitely think that if Archer had delivered the same speech it wouldn’t have had as much impact on the freighter guy and they would have continued fighting but with Travis being a boomer and former freighter person it worked.

I’m gonna give this episode five stars cause I really enjoyed it the only real moment that annoyed was when Archer got tricked by the freighter crew and ended up adrift in a container with a hole in it and when he contacts Enterprise come rescue us is the last thing he says! But that moment was just so stupid it was kinda so I can overlook it.
Old January 18 2013, 12:50 AM   #82
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I don't get how Archer acts at all in that episode... "What gives you the right to take prisoners?" "Well they were trying to attack us and steal our stuff..." "But you'll make the Naussicans angry" "Angry enough they'll start attacking our cargo ships?"

Starfleet clearly wasn't defending the Earth Cargo Ships, as the episode clearly states Enterprise is the first long range ship and responding to a distress call so far out is something new. So if they don't take care of themselves, who's going to?

I think it was Sfdebris who called this the "Archer Maneuver" siding with your enemies against your allies. Archer should have taken the Naussicans into custody and taken them back to Earth for trial and get on the phone with Forrest and get him to start raising hell with the Naussican government over this one.
Old January 18 2013, 04:00 PM   #83
Merlanthe
Commander

Yeah that part of the plot was a bit dumb not very well thought out by the writers but i was so impressed that Archer kept his cool and wasnt immediately suspicious or hostile or doing something impulsive and irresposible that i overlooked/forgot about the complete stupidity of the whole 'you cant defend yourselves against hostile aliens even when they attack you' attitude of Archer and his crew.

As for the Naussicans i dont think they have a government do they? At any rate this episode has made me think that the Naussicans we see in the previous trek series are female and the ones in Enterprise are male and the two genders live mostly seperate lives and they reproduce like seahorses with the male carrying the offspring.

Dont ask where that theory came from it just popped into my head whilst i was thinking on how different the Naussicans are in Enterprise to how they were set up in previous series.
Old January 21 2013, 12:59 PM   #84
Merlanthe
Commander

Just out of curiosity would anyone be angry if i skipped the episode Dear Doctor?

Its one of the handful of episodes i caught when the series was first airing and is probably one of the reasons that i put off watching the series for so long. Its also only a couple of episodes away on my rewatch and the prospect of rewatching it has been making me drag my heels on watching Enterprise even though im enjoying the episodes leading up to it.
Old January 21 2013, 02:47 PM   #85
Mutai Sho-Rin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I would suggest watching it again with fresh eyes. IMHO, it is one of the best of Enterprise 4 years and a riveting character study for Phlox, Archer and Hoshi. The mere mention of it makes me want to go watch it again.
Old January 21 2013, 05:39 PM   #86
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Just out of curiosity would anyone be angry if i skipped the episode Dear Doctor?

Its one of the handful of episodes i caught when the series was first airing and is probably one of the reasons that i put off watching the series for so long. Its also only a couple of episodes away on my rewatch and the prospect of rewatching it has been making me drag my heels on watching Enterprise even though im enjoying the episodes leading up to it.
It's your watch thread... if you don't want to watch it, then don't. Being one of the more morally bankrupt episodes of the franchise, it's certainly already gotten it's share of discussion.
Old January 21 2013, 08:16 PM   #87
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile

Just out of curiosity would anyone be angry if i skipped the episode Dear Doctor? ....
Do what you like.
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 01:08 AM   #88
Merlanthe
Commander

Cold Front

The return of the plot!

That is the return of the weird time travel plot that didnít make much sense before and after the events of this episode have become even more confuddled. I like the captain of the pilgrim ship hes grumpy and funny and seems like he would be perfectly happy if an accident befell the pilgrims so that he didnít have to ferry them about anymore. He certainly isnít worried about the one that disappeared. I also really like the device that lets you walk through walls shame they couldnít keep it around longer but then it could have very easily become a dues ex machina device also Archer and Trip would no doubt have been using it to play pranks and spy on the female locker room.

I really like Dr Phlox in this episode how much he enjoys learning about and interacting with other cultures really shows and he looks so adorably happy when he gets given the honor of leading the pilgrims in their prayer chant thing.

Silent Enemy

I love this episode. It revisits the idea seen in Flight or Fight, that not every race the Enterprise encounters will want to be friends or even talk and that there is quite a lot of races that humans know nothing about that will be hostile and better armed than Enterprise. This episode handles the idea a bit better imho. Enterprise isnít coming to the rescue of another ship and they arenít gonna have a friendly race show up in the nick of time to save them. Their the ones in trouble and they have to save themselves.

I really love the working relationship/growing friendship that exists between Malcolm and Trip. They clash a bit on how to go about installing the phase cannons but they manage to figure it out in the end. I think the friendship between Trip and Malcolm works better and is a lot more genuine than the friendship between Trip and Archer. Im not sure why I think this but I do.

There are a couple missteps imho. They didnít need to show what the hostile aliens looked like. The scene where they invade Enterprise was tense up til I got a look at how goofy the aliens looked. They were a better threat when they were faceless. Also the subplot about Hoshi being given the job of discovering Malcolms favourite food is silly. They have a communications relay to sort out and are being harassed by a mysterious ship and not only does Archer give the senior communications officer the kinda task usually reserved for an ensign but he makes it priority over sorting out the communications relay. But there were some great scenes out of it. Like Malcolm mistaking Hoshiís attempt to subtly extract the information from him through casual conversation as her expressing an interest in him. Also the end scene where they he discovers the cake is pineapple, his favourite! He has a really nice smile.

I may have started shipping Reed and Hoshi cause of this episode. Anyhow i hereby award Cold Front two and a half stars and Silent Enemy five stars.
Old March 5 2013, 03:22 PM   #89
Merlanthe
Commander

So after much dithering I eventually decided to rewatch the episode Dear Doctor. And promptly rediscovered why I disliked it so much.

Its not really the mangling of evolution which the writers seem to have confused with creationism (seriously nature does not select a species to die it does everything it can to help them survive) or that Phlox is so proud of Archer for choosing not to help a species suffering from a terrible fatal disease when he had the cure in the palm of his hand. The excuse that by letting the Valekians die out will allow the Menk to flourish or that the Valekians might discover the cure for themselves before they die out is total weaksauce. The whole point of the episode is that the Valekians donít have the level of technology needed to develop a cure and the Menk themselves state within the episode that everything is provided for them by the Valekians so if the Valekians all perish the Menk are gonna be left without any famring/survival skills and a whole buncha technology that they cant reproduce or use properly.

But for me perosnally its more that the first half of the episode where weíre following Phlox during his day to day stuff, seeing his budding friendship with crewman Cutler, hearing his observations about human compassion, is quite enjoyable. If I were to judge this episode on the first half alone I would say it was great. Then they ruin it with the whole Menk might be better off without the Valekinas and we found a cure but wont give it to them stuff. Imho it would have been a lot better if they had never been able to find a cure, that the symptom suppressing vaccine thing was the best they could do and despite promising to help Enterprise was eventually forced to leave and continue their mission of exploration simply because they couldnít stay at that world helping those people forever.

They took what could have been a great episode and totally ruined it. And yet that first half was good enough that im giving the episode 2 stars. But only the first half. The stupid second half gets zero stars.
Old March 5 2013, 03:25 PM   #90
Merlanthe
Commander

I feel obliged to mention that just because i havent been posting my thoughts on a very regular basis doesnt mean i havent been watching. Im only four episodes away from finishing the first season. I just keep forgetting to post my thoughts but will hopefully rectify that this week and bring to thread up to speed with where im actually at.