Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 9 2013, 10:29 PM   #91
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

If anyone has questions relating to Enterprise's Blu-Ray release, especially the bonus features, just drop them to me in a PM... we'll be talking to one of the producers of the bonus features for a future interview feature at TrekCore. Questions, comments, suggestions, criticisms, compliments - all welcome!
Old January 11 2013, 02:21 AM   #92
RAMA
Vice Admiral

So apparently there was no consensus on the winner of the bluray cover, so they chose an old publicity pic...and I love it! It speaks to me of what Enterprise was early on...early galactic explorers.
Old January 12 2013, 04:51 AM   #93
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
DS9 needs it more than anything IMHO.

X-Files would be nice too.
X-Files is underway!
I don't mean to veer off-topic but is there anything you know about The X-Files? Wonder what they'll do with the effects.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:57 PM   #94
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

groundhog wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
DS9 needs it more than anything IMHO.

X-Files would be nice too.
X-Files is underway!
I don't mean to veer off-topic but is there anything you know about The X-Files? Wonder what they'll do with the effects.

I never watched the X-Files, but from what tvshowsondvd.com says the series was shot just like TNG with everything being shot on film, but then it was edited on videotape.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 10:47 PM   #95
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

We've been putting out an in-depth interview with Robert Meyer Burnett, one of the producers working on Star Trek Blu-Ray bonus features right now. In the latest part, I asked him about Enterprise - you can read his comments towards the end of this part:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01152...rburnett5.html
Old January 16 2013, 10:23 AM   #96
LtChange
Commander

I really think it is fascinating that they wanted to set the first year on Earth. Man, that would have been a huge change/chance for the show. I'm so sorry they never got to do that ...
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:20 AM   #97
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

It would have been interesting, no doubt. Though I think setting the entire first season on Earth might have been a bit too much. Maybe just the opening story arc, six episodes or so. Berman and Braga had some intriguing ideas for the show in its earliest stages; it's too bad UPN wanted them to just do another generic "starship exploring space!" show.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:11 AM   #98
NeedsOfTheMany
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View NeedsOfTheMany's Twitter Profile

A whole season on earth would have been interesting but it's really unlikely they could have had compelling stories for that long with the cast they had. It would have been entertaining to have a few episodes prior to the launch more so than that Klingon landing and the Suliban in pursuit.
NeedsOfTheMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 02:58 PM   #99
LtChange
Commander

Without pushing to much the idea into offtopic I think it could have worked. We don't have to think like Earth-Earth stories, but more set on the Sol system. Like some stories testing ships tech, with smaller ships, some Moon and Mars based stories, some exploration of the Solar System (just imagine an episode exploring through Star Trek's eyes Titan or maybe Callisto - the story would have been they are testing the environment suits or something), also, they could have pushed into season 1 some Terra Nova as well Section 31 episodes, also the story of FIrst Flight could have been part of Season 1 as two part episode. I really think that it would have worked ... I really understand this as not a season without ships and Trek stuff, but a season without Enterprise.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 11:09 AM   #100
throwback
Captain

Though Enterprise is interesting to me, as the first real attempt to reboot the franchise, it never really caught my attention. (I view TNG as a relaunch of the franchise on TV. It continued and expanded the universe first seen in TOS and the first four movies.) In Enterprise, they either deliberately or inadvertently decided what to edit out was established previously and went in a new direction. The show could have worked; it had potential.

I think the problem with Enterprise is that it didn't break new ground. If you are going to reboot the franchise, then take risks. JJ Abrams took a major risk by smegging Vulcan, and the mainstream audience and critics lapped it up.

Additionally, the time war arc was a dud. It didn't work, and it hung around the series neck like a albatross. The arc might have been used as a method to explain the changes in the timeline, but instead it ended up with Space NAZIs and wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey technobabble.

Finally, the people running Enterprise had funny ideas about what the fans wanted. They literally referred to the last show as a valentine for the fans.

If the season was charged less, like a 1/3 of the retail price, I may buy this season. However, TOS and TNG are at the top of my list.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 11:19 AM   #101
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

ENT was not an attempt to reboot the franchise.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 11:34 AM   #102
USS Firefly
Commander

J.J Abrahams didn't reboot the franchise either
Because prime Spock was in XI, it was just a time travel movie were they didn't return to the future.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 11:45 AM   #103
throwback
Captain

I see it as a reboot. If you don't, hey, that's ok. Like I said, they pretty much mucked up the timeline. It could be argued, like the rumored statement that Braga made that the timeline was changed after First Contact, or that the timeline was changed by the time war arc. Some of us go with the flow, and some of us don't. I am one of the latter.

I am far more open to ST '09. It's two hours of mindless adventure wrapped in Star Trek with a bow on the top.
Old January 21 2013, 11:51 AM   #104
throwback
Captain

TV Trope lists ST '09 as an example of Continuity Reboot. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ntinuityReboot)
Old January 21 2013, 08:44 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
ENT was not an attempt to reboot the franchise.
Sure it was. They used the Temporal Cold War as an excuse to tell the stories they wanted to tell, much the same way Abrams used time travel to tell the story he wanted.

Archer was suppose to be Kirk, T'Pol as Spock and Tucker as McCoy.

Unfortunately, they just didn't have enough faith in the concept to follow through.