Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 29 2012, 05:57 PM   #496
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Re: Ancient Aliens

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I don't think humans are 100% extinction-proof, however, I do think we could survive a lot of things that most other species could not. Besides, there are billions of us. Even if you whittle that down to a few thousand, that is a survivable number of people to prevent extinction.
For most extinction scenarios, we've become nearly invincible for the moment being. But one has actually increased substantially with the ease and abundance of travel – a global pandemic. A devastating one is more likely than ever, and it can cripple our civilization to a point where we are vulnerable. It can become difficult to sustain it as it is now, and we can revert by necessity to a more simple way of life where survival is less likely.

Now, you can be optimistic that the memory of the great past, including the surviving physical records and artefacts to support it, will inspire the fallen civilization to rebuild and restore everything, even if it takes many generation to do so. So it should take much much much less time than what it took us to get where we are now (which was not that much to begin with). But you never know...
Old December 29 2012, 07:59 PM   #497
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

There was a scientific study done late in the Cold War during the 1980's that postulated that if somebody could construct a thermonuclear device so powerful that its explosive yield would reach or even exceed 50,000 megatons that its detonation on dry land would cause enough of a catastrophic blast effect and global fallout that it would kill every single human being on the face of the planet except those who were in survival bunkers and shelters deep underground and who didn't emerge for at least two to three years after the explosion.

The key point of that being, naturally, that somebody would survive a nuclear war. At the height of the Cold War the cumulative explosive power of all the world's nuclear arsenals was somewhere around 16,000 megatons, less than a third of the power of the theoretical "Mankind Killer" and with the exception of the most dire anti-nuclear activists of the time it was assumed that there would still be a substantial human population on the planet even after the wake of a Cold War nuclear conflagration (albeit one thrown back to the time of the steam engine if not the Dark Ages).

The chances of every single human being perishing short of a major asteroid, meteorite or comet nucleus collision on the scale of or even worse than the Yucatan impact of 65 million years ago are pretty slim. Not impossible, but they're not great.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 08:01 PM   #498
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
From another board I frequent:

Are we sure this guy ain't related to Londo Mollari? Man, we've made contact with the Centauri!
Old December 29 2012, 10:38 PM   #499
publiusr
Commodore

You might be on to something.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 12:33 AM   #500
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

I found myself wondering the other day who the bigger loon was, The Hair or David Hatcher Childress.

I came to the conclusion it's Childress. I think Tsoukalos is simply in it for the money, he's marketing himself and his show and having a laugh all the way to the bank. I'd be surprised if he honestly beliefs a fraction of what he says. Childress on the other hand, I get the impression he genuinely believes everything he says.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 12:29 PM   #501
Lonemagpie
Writer

Warped9 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
From another board I frequent:

Are we sure this guy ain't related to Londo Mollari? Man, we've made contact with the Centauri!
As post #492 of the thread says:
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=492

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:50 PM   #502
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I don't really want humanity to go extinct next weekend, but the fact that we eventually will is not particularly troubling.

I mean, given that every single one of us as individuals becomes extinct, what's the big deal?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:06 PM   #503
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
And to the ones who believe in the ancient alien theory as I myself do, don't be discouraged by the skeptics and naysayers. Like what Mr. Van Daniken himself said, "there's always going to be skeptic and critics" so to hell with what they say, and stick to your beliefs. Hell, when Copernicus and Galileo talked about the earth going around the sun, the authorities went after their asses. No real differences today....when a topic like this is brought up, there's always going to be venom towards it, but stick to your beliefs, and don't cower from it because the mainstream might get upset at you or ridicule you. Remember, we're in a world, unfortunately, that's so authority driven that they won't believe anything, unless a figure high in authority says it, even though we get lied to and deceived by said authorities....which makes no sense to me......I mean if your best friend sleeps with your girlfriend or boyfriend, you're not gonna still trust the fellow, right? Stand up for your beliefs, cause who's gonna if you don't, yes?
Like you, I find the show interesting. I don't necessarily believe all of their hair brained theories and they defiantly lose me when they start talking about how the Pyramids were ancient Nicholas Tesla like power plants.

However, I think they ask some great questions especially related to how very ancient people were able to move stones in some cases weighing over 100 tons up a mountain without even pulley technology available to them.

For those very critical of the show I really don't find this type of conjecture demonstrably different then the faith that Christians have that Jesus made water into wine and even he brought Lazarus back from death.

Nor is it any different that both Christians and Jews believe that Moses heard "god," speaking from a burning bush and/or he inscribed commandments to be followed onto stone.

Both stories are told both in churches and on television as 100% fact and not to be questioned.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:53 AM   #504
RAMA
Vice Admiral

"Extinct" is a limited term, probably won't have much meaning in the future.

RAMA
Old January 11 2013, 05:41 AM   #505
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

You don't say?
Old January 11 2013, 01:41 PM   #506
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I don't really want humanity to go extinct next weekend, but the fact that we eventually will is not particularly troubling.

I mean, given that every single one of us as individuals becomes extinct, what's the big deal?
That the human species will go extinct is no big deal. That the human civilization will go extinct is a bit troubling. Although if we explore all that we could in the universe, there wouldn't be much point to us continuing anyway... One day we might even start repeating ourselves.

Besides, our past is there to be whether we're still there in the future. It is very unlikely that our perception of time matters outside of our universe, thus for an outside observer it is the same whether we stop existing after a certain point in time or a certain point in space – it is therefore our obligation to occupy as much of time and space as possible, but not care much about eternity.
Old January 20 2013, 10:51 PM   #507
Balrog
Commodore

The Castellan wrote: View Post
And to the ones who believe in the ancient alien theory as I myself do, don't be discouraged by the skeptics and naysayers. Like what Mr. Van Daniken himself said, "there's always going to be skeptic and critics" so to hell with what they say, and stick to your beliefs. Hell, when Copernicus and Galileo talked about the earth going around the sun, the authorities went after their asses. No real differences today....when a topic like this is brought up, there's always going to be venom towards it, but stick to your beliefs, and don't cower from it because the mainstream might get upset at you or ridicule you. Remember, we're in a world, unfortunately, that's so authority driven that they won't believe anything, unless a figure high in authority says it, even though we get lied to and deceived by said authorities....which makes no sense to me......I mean if your best friend sleeps with your girlfriend or boyfriend, you're not gonna still trust the fellow, right? Stand up for your beliefs, cause who's gonna if you don't, yes?
Old January 21 2013, 12:42 AM   #508
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I was abducted last night at around four in the morning. The commander of Probe Ship 49 instructed me to tell you guys that all your silly Earth theories are dead wrong.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 12:55 AM   #509
ITL
Vice Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I was abducted last night at around four in the morning. The commander of Probe Ship 49 instructed me to tell you guys that all your silly Earth theories are dead wrong.
Oh, I'm sure it's quite, quite safe...

Old January 21 2013, 04:34 AM   #510
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There's no face on Mars. "Ancient Alien theorists" appearing in the media are idiots, con men and loonies. Von Daniken is a crackpot and the entire premise that extraterrestrials were responsible for a single thing we know about the history of this planet is moronic beyond belief, pabulum for the credulous.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote