Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 16 2013, 05:09 PM   #226
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Brian Wilson to...Mets? Linky

God knows, the bullpen could use somebody like him.
Old January 16 2013, 05:24 PM   #227
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I read the Mets want nothing to do with him. Dude's a head case coming off tommy John surgery.
Old January 18 2013, 03:36 PM   #228
Use of Time
Commodore

Michael Morse to the Mariners. Strange.
Old January 19 2013, 03:01 AM   #229
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Looks like MLB will institute the new balk rule voted on in 2012 and the Players Association vetoed. The Third to First step-off will now be a balk. While I agree with it being a balk, I wish they would add the Step Towards First as well. Usually left handers who raise their leg and then step towards First, catching runners breaking on motion. I think that all "pick-offs" should require Stepping Off the rubber.

Another little tidbit is teams will be able to add additional coach, an interpreter and this coach can visit the mound with the Manager. Now when the Manager yells at the Pitcher to just thrown the fucking ball, the non-english speaking Pitcher will understand.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old January 19 2013, 05:35 PM   #230
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Earl Weaver has died. Linky
Old January 19 2013, 07:47 PM   #231
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Earl Weaver has died. Linky
Just saw this myself. I always liked him as a manager, will be missed.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old January 19 2013, 08:26 PM   #232
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Earl Weaver was ahead of his time. He understood that outs were precious, and stealing / bunting were giving up outs. In a way, he pioneered Moneyball.

For any baseball fans in general, I highly recommend picking up Palmer and Weaver: Together We Were Eleven Foot Nine by Jim Palmer and Jim Dale, which discusses Palmer's career with the Orioles and hundreds of his interactions with Earl.

His language goes from colorful to off-color to only words that rhyme with duck.

And you don't have to be at Earl's table to hear him. In fact, you don't have to be in Minneapolis to hear him. Blue hair is turning bluer. Salesmen are blushing. Women gasp. Men gasp. Then nobody gasps because everyone is silent.

Earl rocks back in his chair, just about to come forward and pound the table for emphasis and a refill. Nature phones in. Earl's gotta relieve himself. Right now. A little too loud, about the volume of a good p.a. system, he bellows, "Where's the toilet?"

A guy at the table next to him says, "The toilet's in your mouth."

Earl rocks forward. Hmm. He's pretty sure that's not the location he was looking for. He makes his way from the table, across the room, and over to the door with the large "M" and little plastic man on it.

While he's in there, he must be thinking, Maybe, just maybe, I was a touch louder than I should have been. Possibly, my language wasn't quite as delicate as it could have been. Perhaps, I was a vile pig.

Now, Earl really never meant to hurt anyone. Okay, maybe the players and the coaches and the umpires and most of major league baseball, but no real people. So, he feels bad. He better make amends.

He comes back into the dining room. On his way, he stops at the offended table. Not all of them. That would have taken all night. But at the one where the guy suggested that Earl's mouth only needed a handle in order to flush.

Earl looks at the people at the table with every ounce of sincerity he can muster. His voice is low and discreet. His manner is dignified. He leans over intimately and says, "I'm sorry. You lose a tough one and you can't get a table in the dining room and you have a few drinks and pretty soon the 'cock suckers' and 'mother fuckers' just come out."
Old January 20 2013, 03:09 AM   #233
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

And now Stan "The Man" Musial has passed.

Story
Old January 23 2013, 12:55 AM   #234
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Phillies sign Delmon Young.

Oh, Ruben Amaro, I love you and you are the gift that never stops giving, please continue your fine tradition of "Rube gonna rube."
Old January 23 2013, 01:27 AM   #235
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Oh God, not this shit again... Linky

Old January 23 2013, 02:14 AM   #236
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Timby wrote: View Post

Oh, Ruben Amaro, I love you and you are the gift that never stops giving, please continue your fine tradition of "Rube gonna rube."
Well, it shows our outfield is shit. In spite of the off the field issues, he's still a low risk player (one year, 750,000). And his competition isn't heads and shoulders better. I think it makes sense.
Old January 23 2013, 02:27 AM   #237
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Oh God, not this shit again... Linky

C'mon, those aren't as bad as the old Astros uniforms....at least that's something.

Plus the throwup version has a belt, so it won't be as easy to pull a Steve Lyons.
Old January 23 2013, 02:37 AM   #238
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

Well, it shows our outfield is shit. In spite of the off the field issues, he's still a low risk player (one year, 750,000). And his competition isn't heads and shoulders better. I think it makes sense.
The problem is that the Phillies already have their quota of "longshot right-handed no-defense corner outfielders who probably shouldn't start" filled, and that there's an actual chance that both of those players will in fact start a significant number of games. There's also Rube's inexplicable hatred of Dom Brown, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

In any event, the Phillies might actually have the worst defense in baseball, now. I mean, their infield:

1B: Ryan Howard
2B: The deceased remains of Chase Utley
3B: Michael Young
SS: Jimmy Rollins

Their outfield is Delmon Young, Ben Revere, and who the fuck cares -- even if you had Mike Trout out there, that defense is going to give up so many unearned runs.

The infield alone might be the worst infield in recent memory, even worse than Cabrera, Fielder, Peralta, and Raburn. The Phillies have basically 3 DHs and they're starting them all in the field. This is going to be amazing.

There's also that whole "FUCKING JEWS!" thing with Young. I mean, I'd understand interest in Young if he were "just" a horrible human but still had redeeming qualities as a player. But he's almost as bad a player as he is a person, so what the fuck could Rube possibly see in him? The Mariners kicked the tires on him and decided to pass, for heaven's sake.
Old January 23 2013, 04:18 AM   #239
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

My only point is that, in the past, the scary thing is that Amaro bets the farm on players with huge contracts or by trading key prospects. This isn't that. They can cut him if they wanted to without many adverse consequences the second someone else is clearly better or he starts becoming a distraction.
Old January 23 2013, 05:07 AM   #240
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
My only point is that, in the past, the scary thing is that Amaro bets the farm on players with huge contracts or by trading key prospects. This isn't that. They can cut him if they wanted to without many adverse consequences the second someone else is clearly better or he starts becoming a distraction.
Rube went full retard, outside of the AAV. It's just that "Delmon Young is an awful person" and "Delmon Young is an awful baseball player," and that decision will have to be made in a 2013 in which Young is projected to be the everyday RF, so it's hard to understand what on Earth the Phillies were thinking with this move. I cannot see any good way in which this ends well for the Phillies.
Closed Thread