Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 18 2013, 06:24 AM   #166
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Grant wrote: View Post
But it IS bad. I atribute it to them both acting less and less and the fact that for Takei it was a really big deal. I think he was trying too hard and not being natural.

Thinking--"I'll show them I can carry a show!"

Agreed, but I find myself wondering if there was an aspect of sibling rivalry involved. The VOYAGER writers, producers, director, etc., might have subconsciously wanted the prior "generation" guest stars to come off badly so that VOYAGER itself would look better by comparison. And if they want you to look bad, you are going to.

I'm sure this suspicion is mostly or entirely wrong, and the guest stars really were just wooden that day. Stiff acting was a staple ingredient of the Classic Cast films.

Last edited by ZapBrannigan; January 18 2013 at 06:35 AM.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 02:37 AM   #167
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Ah, the legend of Shatner's ego...almost as big as the legend of his toupee!
Old January 20 2013, 03:42 AM   #168
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I don't know what happened with George. In the series, he was believable and did what few character scenes he got really well. But during the films, his style changed. Maybe it was all the convention appearances. He developed a pompous, orotund speaking style that younger Sulu never showed. He started sounding increasingly phony, as if in love with the sound of his own voice.
Old January 20 2013, 03:59 AM   #169
jayrath
Fleet Captain

May I humbly offer an alternative point of view?

Let's all appreciate TOS for what it was, at the time. Gossip and accusations are not doing anyone any good. Let's all think the best of everyone back on the Desilu (and then Paramount) lot, and get on with it. I, for one, do not want to fight battles over anyone's 40-year-old memories.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 04:25 AM   #170
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

It felt more like George was "emulating Kirk" in the films. Especially in his Captain role, he was very "Kirkish." That could actually be a character development; he learned under Kirk and obviously admired the hell out of him.
Old January 20 2013, 05:11 AM   #171
Melakon
Vice Admiral

That would make sense. Very early, maybe it was in Whitfield's Making of ST, or Gerrold's World of ST, Takei said Kirk was Sulu's role model.
Old January 20 2013, 07:06 AM   #172
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
I don't know what happened with George. In the series, he was believable and did what few character scenes he got really well. But during the films, his style changed. Maybe it was all the convention appearances. He developed a pompous, orotund speaking style that younger Sulu never showed. He started sounding increasingly phony, as if in love with the sound of his own voice.
That's it; I'd say you put your finger on it. Having been a bloviator in local politics and an eagerly applauded speaker at ST conventions, Takei infused film-Sulu with a level of vanity and pomposity that even Shatner himself couldn't carry off. That's why film-Sulu seemed mannered and artificial.
Old January 20 2013, 06:36 PM   #173
Grant
Fleet Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
That's it; I'd say you put your finger on it. Having been a bloviator in local politics and an eagerly applauded speaker at ST conventions, Takei infused film-Sulu with a level of vanity and pomposity that even Shatner himself couldn't carry off. That's why film-Sulu seemed mannered and artificial.

I agree with you both. In the series, he seemed to be trying to play, oddly enough, the 'average joe American' even though the show was in the future, of course. No attitude, no airs, just a competent officer who happened to be asian.
Then during the movies, he became more and more poumpous and affected.
It's like he watched too many Kurosawa movies and decided that he should be this 23rd century samurai. The ego boost he got from the fans and perhaps him thinking too much about "who is this man?", made him forget who the character was in the series.

You got to hand it to Koenig, despite being stuck with the accent and the silly way he was written in the series sometimes--he just went with it in the movies, never trying to reinvent Chekov.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 07:42 PM   #174
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It has since occurred to me that the later-movies Sulu sounded very much like afflicted Sulu's D'Artagnan in The Naked Time: "You either leave this war bloodied, or with my blood on your swords."
Old January 20 2013, 07:45 PM   #175
AtoZ
Commander

An excellent, sharp point of observation.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 08:20 PM   #176
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
...almost as big as the legend of his toupee!
The Shatner Turbo 2000.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 02:11 AM   #177
trevanian
Rear Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
It felt more like George was "emulating Kirk" in the films. Especially in his Captain role, he was very "Kirkish." That could actually be a character development; he learned under Kirk and obviously admired the hell out of him.
That's even borne out indirectly by Koenig. At one point in TMP, they had Chekov in the captain's chair (not in the final cut, though, probably watching would have been Kirk attacked by vger antibodies) and he caught himself running his finger down the side of his face and realized he was unconsciously emulating Shatner's Kirk.

I thought Takei's Sulu in TUC was a revelation; he had a grounding to him that seemed like real military, a little more by the book than Sisko but a for real performance (and about the only one of note I can ever recall seeing him give.) He didn't seem like a Kirk-clone at all, but a genuine character.

Upthread people were saying stuff about 'sulu for captain' being a campaign from well into the TOS feature era, but if you've read MAKING OF TREK CONVENTIONS, which came out in 1980 I think, it is pretty clearly stated that the 'sulu for capt' thing started during the early major cons in the 70s.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 08:00 AM   #178
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Upthread people were saying stuff about 'sulu for captain' being a campaign from well into the TOS feature era, but if you've read MAKING OF TREK CONVENTIONS, which came out in 1980 I think, it is pretty clearly stated that the 'sulu for capt' thing started during the early major cons in the 70s.
I didn't know that. But I'll bet Takei is the person who started Sulu for Captain, in much the way Roddenberry personally engineered the letter writing campaigns that delayed STAR TREK's cancelation.
Old January 22 2013, 01:12 AM   #179
trevanian
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
I didn't know that. But I'll bet Takei is the person who started Sulu for Captain, in much the way Roddenberry personally engineered the letter writing campaigns that delayed STAR TREK's cancelation.
Learning from the master.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 01:23 AM   #180
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this was touched upon... but the Shatner ego?

Star Trek V, written by Shatner... Kirk is of so epic proportions that the proper antagonist for him is God... and God dies. How much bigger of an ego can you get than that?