Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 19 2013, 09:08 PM   #121
lurok
Commodore

Re: Going Veggie

I see it passed the spoon test Looks yummy.

Where do veggies here stand on organic vs non-org issue? Rip-off or genuine health/taste difference?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 09:37 PM   #122
CorporalClegg
Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
Where do veggies here stand on organic vs non-org issue? Rip-off or genuine health/taste difference?
That depends on the definition of organic. The "organic" produce one would find in a supermarket is not the same as the "organic" one gets at a local Farmers' market.
Old January 19 2013, 09:47 PM   #123
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I try to buy organic out of ecological concerns when I can but most of the time I can't afford it. Never detected a real difference regarding the taste but that might be different in the US. (I keep hearing your supermarket food is weird from friends/acquaintances.)
Old January 19 2013, 10:48 PM   #124
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^ With chili you live and learn! Each time you make it you'll be able to hone it more to your personal tastes. And I DO like it spicy!
I did rather like it, even the beans worked well, but not as spicy for me next time. Bro liked it, even though he too agreed that it was a bit spicy.

Also, I think your native american blood helps you with the spicyness
Old January 19 2013, 11:58 PM   #125
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I remember I made a huge pot of chillie once and I had a liter of red wine that my dad had left at my house (he was impressed with the bottle it came in and the price.. it was vile) and I just kept adding the red wine for moisture until the chillie had a whole liter of red wine in it. I cooked that chillie for 8 hours. It was magnificent.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 12:29 AM   #126
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
^ With chili you live and learn! Each time you make it you'll be able to hone it more to your personal tastes. And I DO like it spicy!
I did rather like it, even the beans worked well, but not as spicy for me next time. Bro liked it, even though he too agreed that it was a bit spicy.

I think it's more likely the cajun on my dad's side. When you grow up eating jambalaya that can clear your sinuses -- on the days dad cooked we kept a tissue box on the table! -- and snacking on sliced jalapenos during movies (seriously, sliced jalapenos was my favorite movie/TV snack), you end up with a high tolerance for spicy.

lurok wrote: View Post
I see it passed the spoon test Looks yummy.

There's no good evidence that organic foods are any healthier or nutritious, and I've only ever noticed a flavor difference when buying direct from the farmers' market, but I highly doubt that has anything to do with whether or not the food is organic, rather that it's just fresh. I also think that the label "organic" is pretty arbitrary, as it encompasses a wide variety of practices that are really unrelated, some of which I agree with, and some of which don't matter. Ultimately, as it is now it's just a clever marketing term, and I'm certainly not going to pay twice as much for organic. Also, as someone who appreciates science and what it has taught us about the world, the term "organic" annoys me by its misuse alone.

Lastly, I saw this on buzzfeed today and thought it was relevant to this thread:

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 12:34 AM   #127
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Old January 20 2013, 12:44 AM   #128
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

I usually just get the "oh, she's crazy, let's be nice" look.
Old January 20 2013, 01:03 AM   #129
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

So far I've received the "so you think meat is murder?" line once, and the "You think you're better than us?" question twice in the past couple of days. Things are going swimmingly.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 01:09 AM   #130
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Oh yes, when I became vegetarian it was still more of an odd thing to do than it is today with young people. I also had to listen to all the silly 'counter-arguments'. My favourite one still is "So, you don't feel sorry for this tomato?"
Old January 20 2013, 01:31 AM   #131
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I think it's more likely the cajun on my dad's side. When you grow up eating jambalaya that can clear your sinuses -- on the days dad cooked we kept a tissue box on the table! -- and snacking on sliced jalapenos during movies (seriously, sliced jalapenos was my favorite movie/TV snack), you end up with a high tolerance for spicy.
Cajun as well will do it. Jalapenos as snacks, now that's spicy! I honestly feel like such a wimp. I used to be able to handle spicy stuff much better but I guess I've lost my tolerance.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
So far I've received the "so you think meat is murder?" line once, and the "You think you're better than us?" question twice in the past couple of days. Things are going swimmingly.
Some people. To the latter I would've said "Yes, since you're asking, I think I am."
Old January 20 2013, 01:40 AM   #132
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Oh yes, when I became vegetarian it was still more of an odd thing to do than it is today with young people. I also had to listen to all the silly 'counter-arguments'. My favourite one still is "So, you don't feel sorry for this tomato?"
To which my answer would be "No, because it knows what it did." Then I would point them to this documentary:

Some people. To the latter I would've said "Yes, since you're asking, I think I am."
Just to spite them? Sure. I don't have a problem with people eating meat, but someone takes an inferiority complex and points it at me, I'm going to run with it.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 01:42 AM   #133
Emher
Admiral

^I so would. If they're so narrowminded, I'd totally turn it around.

Also, I had to:

Old January 20 2013, 01:53 AM   #134
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I'd just say, "No, but I know my cholesterol is lower."
Old January 20 2013, 01:56 AM   #135
Emher
Admiral

Not a bad one.

I realized I'm coming as very belligerent. Guess I have just have trouble with people who are set in their ways and can't think outside the box. I mean, if you told me a year ago that I was gonna go for a mainly soup based diet and making chili with beans and all that stuff, I'd told you didn't know me very well. But I've taken the leap and tried it and really like it thus far. Hell, I even made some good old pancakes the other night kinda thought they where a bit much. So somethings changing in my pallet.