Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 16 2013, 01:45 AM   #16
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: All the Doctors in one.

gastrof wrote: View Post
You know, River said she was "concentrating on a dress size". Romana was able to change her form several times before the regeneration settled in (apparently without using up extra regenerations), even CHOOSING the face she ended up with.

Is it possible the Doctor might be able, if he has the time and circumstances, to CHOOSE his next face? In that case, might he, on whimsy, CHOOSE David Morrissey's face?
I hope not. I liked his character in The Next Doctor but I don't think he has enough 'Doctor-iness' for a full-time gig.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Konata Izumi
Commander

Is it possible the Doctor might be able, if he has the time and circumstances, to CHOOSE his next face? In that case, might he, on whimsy, CHOOSE David Morrissey's face?
More fun if the fake Doctor was retconned into the real Doctor somehow.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 12:10 PM   #18
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

There was also the Master in "Utopia", who specifically aimed for a "young and strong" body like the Doctor's.

I think the general idea (if unstated) is that in the best of circumstances Time Lords do have some level of control over their next appearance. But with his dangerous, adventurous lifestyle, the Doctor doesn't usually have the time or concentration to think about it too much, and pretty much ends up with what he ends up with.

"Still not ginger."

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
There was also the Master in "Utopia", who specifically aimed for a "young and strong" body like the Doctor's.

I think the general idea (if unstated) is that in the best of circumstances Time Lords do have some level of control over their next appearance. But with his dangerous, adventurous lifestyle, the Doctor doesn't usually have the time or concentration to think about it too much, and pretty much ends up with what he ends up with.

"Still not ginger."

Yea, that's the way I've always justified it to myself. The Doctor typically regenerates from a fatal event (Bad fall, Poison, getting shot, nuked, etc)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:28 PM   #20
beneldon
Lieutenant Commander

I always figured that young Time Lords had that control as it was their first regen, thought the Doctor runs into someone on Gallifrey who spoke of his regen design matter-of-factly so perhaps there is a degree to which they can control the process but as the Doctor has a somewhat chaotic lifestyle, it seems reasonable to assume he can't really control his.
beneldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:16 PM   #21
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It seems reasonable that the more traumatic the death, the less control over the regeneration they would have. A Time Lord who decides they're simply getting too old and it is time to regenerate can probably put time and effort into guiding it(Casually shifting from body to body before settling on one), whereas a death by any more immediate means would be far more limiting(focus on a dress size), or uncontrollable at all (I'm a girl!?!)
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

In Mawdryn Undead, we see technical equipment used in regeneration crises, stolen from Gallifrey, which would seem to indicate that Time Lords usually (or often) regenerate in hospital.
Old January 20 2013, 12:43 AM   #23
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

It's also quite possible that the Doctor only barely scraped by the basics in regeneration class, much as he nearly flunked out of every other class at the academy.

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Redfern wrote: View Post
Interesting how the multiple "backgrounds" surrounding the composite Doctor's face in that first image resembles (to me at least) regeneration energy or a "zoom: effect for an opening credits sequence.

Has anyone seen the video clip that "blends" doctors Hartnell through Tennant into a composite. Similar concept, but animated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BEFOe57kEY

Sincerely,

Bill
What strikes me about seeing that is how SUBTLE some of the key and defining differences in features between people are.
Yeah, those transitions are pretty damn eerie going from the subtle, almost imperceptible changes during Doctors 1-6 and 8-10. Sylvester McCoy is the only one that really doesn't look a thing like any of the others.

One thing that struck me especially was during the McGann to Eccleston transition, midway through, it looked quite a bit like how McGann looks in the more recent publicity photos he shot for the audios.