TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 19 2013, 10:54 AM   #46
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Re: American Comedy Vs. British Comedy "TV"

Yeah, that top 10 was always suspicious. (Dad's Army should have been number 1 for a start!)

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 01:21 PM   #47
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Those show tell great stories and have fantastic characters but half of them are very rarely funny. I'm surprised It ain't 'alf 'ot mum, Hidey Hi or You Rang MiLord made the list or the original Adrien Mole? (Isn't Sue Pollard just lovely?)

Although if my ageism can spring up again those shows were reruns in my childhood.

White Van Man is hilarious, and Miranda is the funniest sitcom in the universe, and the Thick of It makes Frazier look like a monkey hammering at the typeface with his penis... Which translated into Americanese well with the movie In the Loop which followed through with the new Julia Lewis-Dreyfuss project "Veep" which is a yank britcom if ever I saw one... But then that's exactly what Episodes is with Stephen Madigan and Tasman Grieg from Green Room are matching wits against Matt LeBlanc all too successfully... Black Books!!!

How the hell can there be a list of the funniest (just the beeb? meh?) britcoms with out Space coming up? EVERYBODY loves Simon Pegg! ... Shit even that was something that happened last century.

I suppose the list isn't like a Dead Sea Scroll completely since the Vicar of Dibley is only 20 years old, but Dawn doesn't have that many tricks, and she's really the runt of the Comic Strip Presents litter and Jennifer Saunders carried for for years... Puns unintended. Sorry.

Even Inbetweeners which I still assume is new, finished 3 or 4 years ago if you don't count the movie.

That list is ridiculously narrow made for people who only watched tv as children or 50 years ago.

Has any one ever seen How not to Live your Life?

Any episode of that is funnier than Frank Spenser falling down ten toilets... And I'm quite enjoying Not going out even if it did cheat by having Miranda Hart on board for two seasons.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 06:00 PM   #48
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

I don't know what is more surprising - that these aired in the States or that people over there like them...
I have to admit that I don't understand the appeal of Are You Being Served. It seemed that the producers found any excuse they could find to create some sort of a fashion show with the main characters. With the exception of maybe Miss Brahms(?) (some of the names escape me: Lucas, Mrs. Slocumbe, Captain Peacock?), I didn't find too pleasant of a sight.
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:18 PM   #49
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I watched the Inbetweeners in its first run, Guy Gardener, and it was one of the funniest shows I'd seen in years. I still refuse to get my head around the idea there's not one but two American remakes (one of the TV series, the other of the film).

Also Only Fools and Horses? Really? That beat Fawlty Towers?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Who can take seriously the views of a man who's country gave us Mrs. Brown's boys?

It was because of that show that Q put humanity on trial in TNG.
Ah, but we were exonerated by Love/Hate!
Old January 19 2013, 08:33 PM   #50
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

White Van Man is hilarious, and Miranda is the funniest sitcom in the universe

Miranda is as funny as lung cancer.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:44 PM   #51
MacLeod
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Those show tell great stories and have fantastic characters but half of them are very rarely funny. I'm surprised It ain't 'alf 'ot mum, Hidey Hi or You Rang MiLord made the list or the original Adrien Mole? (Isn't Sue Pollard just lovely?)

Although if my ageism can spring up again those shows were reruns in my childhood.

White Van Man is hilarious, and Miranda is the funniest sitcom in the universe, and the Thick of It makes Frazier look like a monkey hammering at the typeface with his penis... Which translated into Americanese well with the movie In the Loop which followed through with the new Julia Lewis-Dreyfuss project "Veep" which is a yank britcom if ever I saw one... But then that's exactly what Episodes is with Stephen Madigan and Tasman Grieg from Green Room are matching wits against Matt LeBlanc all too successfully... Black Books!!!

How the hell can there be a list of the funniest (just the beeb? meh?) britcoms with out Space coming up? EVERYBODY loves Simon Pegg! ... Shit even that was something that happened last century.

I suppose the list isn't like a Dead Sea Scroll completely since the Vicar of Dibley is only 20 years old, but Dawn doesn't have that many tricks, and she's really the runt of the Comic Strip Presents litter and Jennifer Saunders carried for for years... Puns unintended. Sorry.

Even Inbetweeners which I still assume is new, finished 3 or 4 years ago if you don't count the movie.

That list is ridiculously narrow made for people who only watched tv as children or 50 years ago.

Has any one ever seen How not to Live your Life?

Any episode of that is funnier than Frank Spenser falling down ten toilets... And I'm quite enjoying Not going out even if it did cheat by having Miranda Hart on board for two seasons.
Well if you note I did say it was done in 2004 as for the full list

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/top/

And of course with any poll it's results are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

And wasn't it Spaced not space that Stared Simon Pegg which aired on CH4?

And sometimes as people get older they get nostalgic about things.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 09:13 PM   #52
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Kegg wrote: View Post
I watched the Inbetweeners in its first run, Guy Gardener, and it was one of the funniest shows I'd seen in years. I still refuse to get my head around the idea there's not one but two American remakes (one of the TV series, the other of the film).
The film wasn't American or a remake. It was a British continuation/finale for the series. Rumour has it the second film is being written now. And the American remake failed in every way imaginable.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 09:25 PM   #53
lurok
Commodore

C4 has had some pretty good ones with Spaced, Black Books and Green Wing.

I wonder what the US version of Are You Being Served? was like?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 10:51 PM   #54
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
The film wasn't American or a remake.
I said they're remaking the film, not that the film is a remake. The film remake of the Inbetweeners will apparently be unrelated to the MTV remake.
Old January 19 2013, 10:51 PM   #55
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I wonder why the Americans never took to Last of the Summer Wine - it certainly had a heck of a lot of episodes compare to the usual British comedy show - 295 in all. Perhaps it was the accents/dialects, insufficient cultural overlap, or perhaps it was because it was the same old jokes, repeated again and again and again...
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 10:59 PM   #56
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
The film wasn't American or a remake.
I said they're remaking the film, not that the film is a remake. The film remake of the Inbetweeners will apparently be unrelated to the MTV remake.
Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. Didn't realise they were going ahead with a remake of the film after the series failed.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 11:04 PM   #57
MacLeod
Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
I wonder why the Americans never took to Last of the Summer Wine - it certainly had a heck of a lot of episodes compare to the usual British comedy show - 295 in all. Perhaps it was the accents/dialects, insufficient cultural overlap, or perhaps it was because it was the same old jokes, repeated again and again and again...
295 episodes of 31 series running from 1973-2010. So around 10 a year.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 11:12 PM   #58
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You say last of the Summer Wine, I say Golden Girls.

(First of the Summer Wine, I'm not kidding, was just sad.)

I have 5 episodes of Amanda by the Sea, the American remake of Fawlty Towers starring Bea Arthur that I am just afraid to watch.

Old January 19 2013, 11:17 PM   #59
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
295 episodes of 31 series running from 1973-2010. So around 10 a year.
But just fine for syndication - not HD though, most of it.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 11:41 PM   #60
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

HD of Compo?