Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 15 2013, 09:48 AM   #391
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

There's just not enough Jedi action this season and I do miss seeing more of the Clone troopers. I'm not hating this season but I think that last season was better. This droid arc has soured me on the season.
Old January 17 2013, 06:12 PM   #392
billcosby
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
..this arc would have been infinitely better if Threepio were in it.
The problem was that there were too many clowns. You can't play the story right without the clown and the straight man. This was a horrible mess.

Last night I re-watched the series opener and maybe there is hope after all... that story is excellent. Maul and Savage, flying around the galaxy being dicks and killing for sport... Obi-Wan overwhemed.... oh, I want to go to there! Wash over us and let us forget the suffering that was this first half of season 5.
I also rewatched The Mortis Trilogy again to make sure it was the worst... and it still is.

[QUOTE=Enterprise is Great;7534696]
Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post

Every arc this season has been a 4-parter. Even the seemingly standalone season premiere was actually a bumped-up part 1 of an arc that resumes next week. I guess the 4-part arcs last season such as the Umbara arc and the Obi-Wan undercover arc were well enough received that they decided to do the whole season that way. Or maybe they're "writing for the trade" -- doing 4-part arcs that can be released on home video as movie-length stories.
It's happening already. Just last week they released a DVD of all 4 Darth Maul episodes from last season cut together as a movie called Star Wars The Clone Wars: Darth Maul Returns.
Hmmm... I think you guys are on to something. That sounds about right.

Last edited by billcosby; January 17 2013 at 06:31 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:23 PM   #393
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote:
Last night I re-watched the series opener and maybe there is hope after all... that story is excellent. Maul and Savage, flying around the galaxy being dicks and killing for sport... Obi-Wan overwhemed.... oh, I want to go to there! Wash over us and let us forget the suffering that was this first half of season 5.
I also rewatched The Mortis Trilogy again to make sure it was the worst... and it still is.
That's the good thing about the next arc, its likely to have the rest of the good stuff from the season 5 trailer.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #394
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Holy cow, that was visually sumptuous! I need to pay attention to who directs and storyboards episodes because some are really better. I suppose they probably choose which ones to dump more resources into as well but man that was gorgeous. I really dig those Mandalorean ships and Maul's eyes are fantastic.

Maul and Savage are a lot more interesting than Plankton and his droids I have to admit. It should be fun to see this one play out.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 06:46 PM   #395
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The body count for this episode was rather high. I love how this series can have very light-hearted, almost kiddy arcs and then have the next one be totally hardcore.

Maul is a far more better villain in this series than he was in The Phantom Menace, IMO.
Old January 19 2013, 06:54 PM   #396
Janus VI
Captain

Considering what the brothers were able to accomplish, I'm surprised the body count wasn't much higher. Wow so much happened in this episode in comparison to the last 4 which seemed to move along at a Gonk droid's pace!
Janus VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 06:55 PM   #397
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Maul is a far more better villain in this series than he was in The Phantom Menace, IMO.
Not very hard since all he did in TPM was jump around and get sliced in two by Obi-Wan.

I guess Satine is going to die down the line. Was really expecting the two bounty hunters to die, but glad they didn't kill them just to make the Savage-Maul-Vizsla troika more threatening.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:48 PM   #398
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Finally the Clone Wars is back on track this season.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 04:20 AM   #399
Saul
Rear Admiral

Smoke if you got em. Back to business here, if only the entire season could be as good as this. Or have scenes from this episode sprinkled throughout season 5 to show the building momentum of Maul and Savage.
Old January 20 2013, 05:23 AM   #400
JD
Admiral

Damn, now that's more like it. Definitely the best episode of the season so far. Was that Katie Sackhoff again as the female Death Watch member?
Old January 20 2013, 05:31 AM   #401
davejames
Vice Admiral

The droid arc might have gone on a bit long, but I thought it was rather fun myself. Especially the final ep.

Enjoyed it much more than that boring ass arc earlier this season wih the clones training people on the planet. Ugh.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 05:41 AM   #402
JD
Admiral

^I actually thought the Onderon arc was pretty good myself.
Old January 20 2013, 06:18 AM   #403
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Damn, now that's more like it. Definitely the best episode of the season so far. Was that Katie Sackhoff again as the female Death Watch member?
I happen to still have this on my DVR and yes it is along with Sam Witwer, Jon Favreau and Clancy Brown in the genre-y cast.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 08:57 AM   #404
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote:
Not very hard since all he did in TPM was jump around and get sliced in two by Obi-Wan.
Exactly my point. He was just the muscle in Episode I while Sidious was the brains. But The Clone Wars is showing Maul as capable of being both. Even though Maul really didn't have much dialogue in Episode I, I like that they took what little there was about the character in the movie and fleshed it out.
Old January 20 2013, 04:06 PM   #405
Christopher
Writer

I didn't find the story all that interesting, but Sam Witwer is a remarkably good voice actor. All his line readings as Maul were fun to listen to, and the nuances he put into it seem to have inspired Maul's key animator(s), since the facial performance of the character was pretty well-done too.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote