CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old January 17 2013, 12:33 AM   #136
teacock
Admiral

Re: Am I the only one who loves SGU?

I had my big complaints about it. Too much earth time via the stones diminished the isolation and disconnection of not knowing if they would get home. At least on VOY it was only 2 minute staticcy conversations that weren't guaranteed, not whole episodes from day one with people working out their relationship issues on earth. Their very boring relationship issues.

I'll rewatch it some time though. I would have loved a Season 3, Season 2 was certainly getting better.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 18 2013, 02:31 AM   #137
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

^
I thought it added a very interesting dynamic to the show by having characters interact with loved ones back home while inhabiting another's body knowing they may never see them in person again.

Then again, i thought it was quite odd that Stargate Command would allow so many people to know about the Stargate and Destiny. I know it was done for storytelling purposes, but SG1 gave us the impression that it was a pretty big deal to let a civilian in on the secret.
Old January 18 2013, 03:27 AM   #138
The Wormhole
Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
I thought it added a very interesting dynamic to the show by having characters interact with loved ones back home while inhabiting another's body knowing they may never see them in person again.
But then you get into the stupidity of everyone accepting blindly that some complete stranger is their loved one. Esepcially when you realize that conjugal visits were the norm for stone swaps.
Old January 18 2013, 05:00 AM   #139
AJ86
Captain

I reckon a guilt-free means of having sex with someone who is seemingly not your partner would be alluring enough for people to believe it slightly more easily. That's why Eli's mother wasn't having any of it!
Old January 18 2013, 05:23 AM   #140
teacock
Admiral

I can see the earth based partner putting in requests after checking out the Destiny yearbook.

".. wow that Greer is hot, much better than that scrawny kid they sent me last time.. I think I'll have him next."

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 19 2013, 06:18 PM   #141
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

But then you get into the stupidity of everyone accepting blindly that some complete stranger is their loved one. Esepcially when you realize that conjugal visits were the norm for stone swaps.
I don't recall Eli ever having sex!

Or Scott for that matter.

Either way, I agree. The only person we saw having serious issues accepting that her loved one was in another body was Eli's mom, who was shown to be not exactly level headed to begin with. Allowing the crew to have sex while inhabiting another person's body was obviously done for dramatic sake. Ignoring the obvious question of possible disease and pregnancy (seriously, judge! It is my kid, but when she got pregnant my body was taken over by someone in another galaxy!), we saw how awkward it was to have the connection interrupted mid sex!

It was cool that they showed what would happen if someone didn't want to return to their body, or found out that their body now has a healthy dose of radiation poisoning. Overall, I felt like the stones were a good idea, but kind of which they, along with the disconnected from loved ones motif were used far far more on Atlantis with that show taking a more dramatic turn instead of being cancelled for another series.

Don't get me wrong - I really liked SGU - but it seemed like wasted potential to cancel one show for another with virtually the same premise (lost crew on alien city/vessel in another galaxy) just to have a more dramatic style.
Old January 19 2013, 06:34 PM   #142
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Scott didn't need to have stone sex, he was having sex with Chloe in his own body at home on Destiny, and Eli got to with his cute redhead on Destiny, at least once, I think

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old January 19 2013, 06:45 PM   #143
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Eli got to with his cute redhead on Destiny, at least once, I think
All we know canonically is that he took his shirt off while in her room.

Hey, I'm sorry, canon is canon.
Old January 19 2013, 07:17 PM   #144
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Man, that's cold. Dude gets play once in 2 years, and you wanna take it away from him

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old January 19 2013, 08:56 PM   #145
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yes, I miss SGU. The 'stones' were a mistake, just as Atlantis managing to get back to Earth so soon was a mistake.

Voyager, Atlantis, Universe - one day someone's going to do the 'stranded far from home' story well.

That being said, Universe was definitely getting better with season 2.

A shame that there was no season 3, and an even bigger shame that there's no new SG fullstop now......
Old January 19 2013, 11:38 PM   #146
teacock
Admiral

Man, that's cold. Dude gets play once in 2 years, and you wanna take it away from him
AND she was the perfect gamer boy fantasy.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 20 2013, 02:09 AM   #147
The Wormhole
Admiral

All I'm saying is that canonically speaking we don't know for a fact that any hanky-panky took place. All we know, canonically speaking is that he went into her room, took his shirt off, and was not seen when Wray dropped by and saw the shirt laying there.

This is a Star Trek forum, that means we have to be anal and accept only that which is made clear and definitive on screen as actual canon.

Or we can take this a step further and suggest that it was actually someone else in the room. Do we know for a canonical fact that no one else on Destiny had a red "You Are Here" t-shirt?

I can go at this all day.
Old January 20 2013, 02:30 AM   #148
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Or we can take this a step further and suggest that it was actually someone else in the room. Do we know for a canonical fact that no one else on Destiny had a red "You Are Here" t-shirt?

Maybe they swapped shirts. She wore his red one, and he went around wearing size extra-small, women para-military garb. Ya never know!

Which brings up another nitpick that always bothered me about SGU - two years, and nobody at any point (at least that we saw on screen) said to themselves and others "ya know... I am starting to stink a bit. Maybe we should find a way to make some new clothes so we don't have to wear the same shit all the time!"

I mean, I realize resources were limited, and that there was no doubt some way to clean their clothes as well as bathe (it was a wonder Eli's shirt didn't fade at all in two years), but still. Wasn't there any ancient sewing machines around? They clearly had bedding, and other sources of fabric. Someone make Eli a new shirt for God's sake!
Old January 20 2013, 03:06 AM   #149
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

When SGU first aired in 2009, I was really reluctant about it because I thought they were just trying to imitate BSG. So I went into it with this preconception that it was just going to be a BSG clone. I watched the premiere and the first couple of episodes, but after "Light" I decided I'd had enough and I gave up on it. I found the show to be really dull and cliched, with bad caricatures and overplayed angst. Basically clone of BSG without the quality, like I'd imagined it would be.

But now I really regret dropping the show. On a whim I decided to give it another shot and started watching the first season again a few days ago. I don't know what's different, but now I absolutely love the show. I've already burned through most of Season One (just watched "Lost," episode fifteen, earlier today) and I can't wait to see how this one ends and how Season Two turns out.

I feel like an idiot for giving up on the show when I did, and I'm also really disappointed that SGU only got two seasons. I guess a lot of people reacted to it similar to how I did and the numbers just dropped too much. Too bad.
Old January 20 2013, 06:26 AM   #150
teacock
Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post

Maybe they swapped shirts. She wore his red one, and he went around wearing size extra-small, women para-military garb. Ya never know!

Which brings up another nitpick that always bothered me about SGU - two years, and nobody at any point (at least that we saw on screen) said to themselves and others "ya know... I am starting to stink a bit. Maybe we should find a way to make some new clothes so we don't have to wear the same shit all the time!"

I mean, I realize resources were limited, and that there was no doubt some way to clean their clothes as well as bathe (it was a wonder Eli's shirt didn't fade at all in two years), but still. Wasn't there any ancient sewing machines around? They clearly had bedding, and other sources of fabric. Someone make Eli a new shirt for God's sake!
Resources were not limited when it comes to fabric. They should have all ended up dressed in those quilts of which there were clearly an abundance.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne