Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade & Discuss
A 3 30.00%
B 2 20.00%
C 1 10.00%
D 1 10.00%
F 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19 2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: MLP:FiM S3E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Grading & Discussion

She... made DisQord cry!

ETA: Fluttershy is... wow. She's better than Data!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Hahaha, I knew that was the plan all along. Fluttershy guilt-tripped Discord into behaving. What a pony.

They did lay it on a bit thick at the end although I loved how he said, "Friendship is magic" but all in all, I think this was pretty awesome. They also made it clear that he isn't totally reformed and that he might cause some chaos in the future. I hope we'll see him again.
I chuckled at all the other ponies' reaction to Fluttershy's monologue at the end.
Old January 19 2013, 05:05 PM   #18
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Huh. That...huh. I already miss asshole trickster Discord, and his conversion was implausibly sudden. And yet I enjoyed it anyway.

Wish we'd had more princess Celestia. I was expecting more than a cameo at the beginning and end. Ah well.

@CZ: I think we'll be seeing him again. Zap2It dropped the title and synopsis for the season finale, and the premise lines up with a couple of rumored Discord lines that were leaked on 4chan. If those leaks are accurate, Celestia does imdeed have a plan for him, and for Twilight.
Old January 19 2013, 05:08 PM   #19
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^Remember that he said, "most of the time," Gep. Oh no... he's going to join forces with Pinkie Pie!
Old January 19 2013, 05:10 PM   #20
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Yeah, it was a bit rushed although I didn't find it really implausible. This was probably the first time someone trusted him and was nice to him and he grew to like it and then missed it when he was about to lose it. But the story would have benefitted from getting more time, that's true.
Old January 19 2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

If we'd had an hour, we would have seen a lot more of Fluttershy's Friendship Boot Camp.
"What do I have to do to prove to you that I'm willing and able to change?"

"Banish yourself to the moon!"
Old January 19 2013, 05:19 PM   #22
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was a bit rushed although I didn't find it really implausible. This was probably the first time someone trusted him and was nice to him and he grew to like it and then missed it when he was about to lose it. But the story would have benefitted from getting more time, that's true.
Yeah, as it stands I have to give this one a low "B." It was good but the premise was better than the execution, I think. There was a lot of needless and repetitious exposition that took time away from characterization that could have made the whole thing more plausible. It honestly surprised me, as up until now Polsky has been very good at writing natural-sounding conversations. A lot of the exchanges in this one were very clumsy.

Still, there was plenty to like here: good premise, good gags, lots of Q references, and interesting possibilities for the future with a good guy Discord.

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
If we'd had an hour, we would have seen a lot more of Fluttershy's Friendship Boot Camp.

My one other wish for the episode: an explicit Deja Q shout-out. "So Rainbow Dash, eaten any good books lately?" Oh well.
Old January 19 2013, 05:23 PM   #23
DarkHorizon
Captain

I didn't really like it. I'm sorry. It was far too rushed, and felt a bit... off. The animation seemed of lower quality than usual in places, and some of the voice acting as well. The premise was hard to swallow anyway, and the sudden shift in Discord's attitude fell completely flat for me. It seemed like there were many ideas developing as to how Discord would use the situation to separate Fluttershy from the others, and yet they kept screeching to a halt and being replaced with another one.

The only bit I really liked was the revelation as to why Discord was eating paper. That was the only time I laughed.
Old January 19 2013, 05:32 PM   #24
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Yeah, as it stands I have to give this one a low "B." It was good but the premise was better than the execution, I think. There was a lot of needless and repetitious exposition that took time away from characterization that could have made the whole thing more plausible. It honestly surprised me, as up until now Polsky has been very good at writing natural-sounding conversations. A lot of the exchanges in this one were very clumsy.

Still, there was plenty to like here: good premise, good gags, lots of Q references, and interesting possibilities for the future with a good guy Discord.

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post

My one other wish for the episode: an explicit Deja Q shout-out. "So Rainbow Dash, eaten any good books lately?" Oh well.
Unfortunately, stabbing with a fork, showing up naked (difficult when nobody wears clothes on a regular basis) and telling a character to die are not acceptable for children's programming.

ETA: I have a humorous image now. Discord, Pinkie and Dash joining forces in the most epic prank war Ponyville has ever known.

Last edited by Peach Wookiee; January 19 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old January 19 2013, 07:36 PM   #25
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yes! I gave it an "A". Discord was completely within character, Fluttershy once again confirms she is best pony (for now), and we get a fun episode with John DeLancie, which makes it all worthwhile. Also, such language!

Hahaha, I knew that was the plan all along. Fluttershy guilt-tripped Discord into behaving. What a pony.

They did lay it on a bit thick at the end although I loved how he said, "Friendship is magic" but all in all, I think this was pretty awesome. They also made it clear that he isn't totally reformed and that he might cause some chaos in the future. I hope we'll see him again.
I chuckled at all the other ponies' reaction to Fluttershy's monologue at the end.
Well, to be fair, he did say it begrudgingly.
I actually like how this works out. This makes Discord more like Q. You never knew what kind of entity Q was going to be, whether it was malevolent or helpful. It added an air of mystery to him, and I think it did the same here. Yes, he likes friendship, but he's also a trickster, so that will play into future roles, I hope.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 10:57 PM   #26
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

F

I will change it to C if they reveal he's still playing them and using this "reform" as a ruse true to his actual character.

Otherwise F-
Old January 20 2013, 12:17 AM   #27
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I still say it's a "Deja Q" thing. Oh no! Draconequis Continuum!!!
Old January 20 2013, 12:20 AM   #28
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Discord is the embodiment of everything disharmonious, chaos, destruction and entropy. The anethema of society, friendship, love, etc

This will end with his permanent imprisonment or destruction, and Celestia better finally grow a pair and do it. This is getting ridiculous, Twilight was right to chew her out, in fact she went no where near far enough and it's time she got over her feelings for Celestia.
Old January 20 2013, 12:24 AM   #29
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Discord is the embodiment of everything disharmonious, chaos, destruction and entropy. The anethema of society, friendship, love, etc

This will end with his permanent imprisonment or destruction, and Celestia better finally grow a pair and do it. This is getting ridiculous, Twilight was right to chew her out, in fact she went no where near far enough and it's time she got over her feelings for Celestia.
Or maybe to give into them.

What?! Who said that? I certainly didn't! That's crazy!

Seriously though, yeah, I get the feeling this episode is going to be a "love it" or "hate it" for the older fans. Me, I love it, because I don't think Discord's done being Discord.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 12:42 AM   #30
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Besides, the world needs some measure of chaos. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Without it, nothing would ever change or evolve.