Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 19 2013, 12:12 AM   #46
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

Doing the finger-touch thing would have been dramatically stupid. You want the audience to care at that moment; servicing trekkies is not the point.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 05:09 AM   #47
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

What if they did the Q finger-touch thing?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 11:29 AM   #48
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

We know what a kiss is, we know what it stands for, we enjoy kissing, there is an emotional impact in showing a kiss that is completely absent from a made-up sci-fi gesture like the Sarek finger thing.

And no, showing emotions in a movie is not "offensive". It's pretty much the only way to make sure that the audience feels any connection to the characters. Yes, apparently, some people can't connect with fictional characters, others can't relate to other people's emotions, but tailoring movies for these minorities wouldn't be a smart idea.
Old January 19 2013, 11:52 AM   #49
Gov Kodos
Admiral

TOS finger touching or snogging Zoe Saldana... tough decision... I can imagine the audience reaction to the kiss: Cool, tough luck Kirk, oooh... and other responses. To finger touching: What the hell is that? Vulcan kissing sucks ass...
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched

Last edited by Gov Kodos; January 19 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 01:15 PM   #50
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Does the ending of Casablanca lack emotional impact because they don't suck face?

Plus as I said, they could establish the finger touch as a sign of affection earlier in the movie. Plus, while I would prefer the finger touch, it's the fact that the scene goes on for as long as it does that is my main issue. It showed the characters as too self-indulgent - an unintentional theme that runs through the whole movie in fact.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 01:35 PM   #51
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Sarek was very uptight so of course Amanda never talked him into kissing.

Spock though.. he's still in his "live long and prosper" aka fuck you phase to the establishment. Making his human lady happy with kissing was probably some rebellion to start out with and now he's a bit of a convert. I'm sure they secretly touch fingers when they are alone.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; January 19 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old January 19 2013, 01:39 PM   #52
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Worrying about the accretion of lore from hundreds of hours of films past is what made Trek progressively uninteresting to folks at large and brought the franchise to a dead halt. I'm quite happy they made it as they did, playing for a new audience rather than playing to the small audience of hardcore Trek fans who care about such minutia.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 01:58 PM   #53
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Plus, while I would prefer the finger touch, it's the fact that the scene goes on for as long as it does that is my main issue. It showed the characters as too self-indulgent - an unintentional theme that runs through the whole movie in fact.
Every single emotional scene that takes place in a movie right before something is about to potentially blow up is self indulgent.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 19 2013, 02:07 PM   #54
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Worrying about the accretion of lore from hundreds of hours of films past is what made Trek progressively uninteresting to folks at large and brought the franchise to a dead halt. I'm quite happy they made it as they did, playing for a new audience rather than playing to the small audience of hardcore Trek fans who care about such minutia.
While it's a valid point about lore overall, I don't thnk it applies to finger touching. It's something visual that takes all of two seconds to establish in the lift - they touch fingers just before Uhura leaves - it really, really isn't that confusing - he's a touch telepath - that is established in the movie as well. And once again, the point is not about the minutia - it's about the characters, a degree of realism even within a fantasy franchise, and the general approach to schmaltz in Hollywood.

The scene with Han and Leia in Empire Strikes back was just about perfection as far as timing and emotion was concerned. The scene in NuTrek dragged at a time of crisis. Or at least that was my perception.

Old January 19 2013, 02:37 PM   #55
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Does the ending of Casablanca lack emotional impact because they don't suck face?

Plus as I said, they could establish the finger touch as a sign of affection earlier in the movie. Plus, while I would prefer the finger touch, it's the fact that the scene goes on for as long as it does that is my main issue.
The scene is 28 seconds long, and they're not "sucking face", they're kissing. If you don't care about the difference, you may belong to one of the minorities that I talked about earlier.
Old January 19 2013, 03:05 PM   #56
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
McCoy is not an action character
And Uhura is?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 03:06 PM   #57
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Quite so.

teacake wrote: View Post
Plus, while I would prefer the finger touch, it's the fact that the scene goes on for as long as it does that is my main issue. It showed the characters as too self-indulgent - an unintentional theme that runs through the whole movie in fact.
Every single emotional scene that takes place in a movie right before something is about to potentially blow up is self indulgent.
And if we were to excise every film that includes such a scene from the vast collection of films in the world--the remaining list would be rather short.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 03:37 PM   #58
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Oh well, there's no point in a circular debate I suppose. But once again, I'm NOT advocating excising every romantic scene in every movie I'm simply saying that some romantic scenes drag when shoved in and allowed to be too long and indulgent during times of crisis.

Maybe the majority liked the scene. It does not automatically follow that that they would not have liked it more if it had been more urgent, more desperate, and more tragic like Leia being pulled away from Han just before he goes off to potential death in the carbon freezing chamber.

IMHO.

Old January 19 2013, 03:41 PM   #59
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Again: 28 seconds.
Old January 19 2013, 03:59 PM   #60
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Again: 28 seconds.
Still, 28 seconds is more than enough for Narada to raise shields.

I haven't watched the movie recently to debate which parts of the scene I felt needed to be trimmed or altered. But again that doesn't mean the scene could have been improved upon again IMHO. The whole scene was definitely longer than 28 seconds and the kiss was unhurried. The scene felt too indulgent, like some other scenes in the movie.

Last edited by Pauln6; January 19 2013 at 04:11 PM.