Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 18 2013, 09:53 PM   #1951
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Burnett's argument -- that HTV met the requirements of the job and that CBS Digital exceeded them -- would be more persuasive if CBS hadn't removed HTV from the project after the negative reviews came in for their work on season two.

Of course, since he's still working for CBS, it's hard to imagine him answering the question any other way.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 10:18 PM   #1952
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
Burnett's argument -- ...-- would be more persuasive if CBS hadn't removed HTV from the project
Maybe HTV wasn't removed at all. How can we know? Why aren't they telling us the name of the "new" company?
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 10:31 PM   #1953
MickJo1701
Commander

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Burnett's argument -- ...-- would be more persuasive if CBS hadn't removed HTV from the project
Maybe HTV wasn't removed at all. How can we know? Why aren't they telling us the name of the "new" company?
It was confirmed on TrekCore that HTV was to have no part in remastering further seasons. We can only hope history does not repeat itself with the new unnamed FX house.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 11:45 PM   #1954
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
CBS is a corporation and corporations don't like leaks. Look what happened when Burnett let it slip that they were planning to bring TAS to Blu-ray -- CBS went apoplectic and asked him to contact TrekCore and claim he was only assuming and giving his opinion.* They only want us to know when they want us to know.

* Just want to clarify that this is only my opinion.
Old January 19 2013, 12:14 AM   #1955
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I think theres a clue in the fact were getting a BD release of Best of Both Worlds One AND Two on the same day they release Season 3.

My money is on CBS-D keeping it in house this time out, at least for 4 and 5. Maybe they'll lease it out again come Season 6 though.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:35 AM   #1956
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

I wish that Robert Meyer Burnett would realise that directing Free Enterprise and producing bonus materials for a series filmed over two decades ago doesn't make him a Star Trek insider or anything more than a high-profile fan. His opinions matter about as much as Bjo Trimble's.
Old January 19 2013, 08:39 AM   #1957
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
I wish that Robert Meyer Burnett would realise that directing Free Enterprise and producing bonus materials for a series filmed over two decades ago doesn't make him a Star Trek or anything more than a high-profile fan. His opinions matter about as much as Bjo Trimble's.
what's wrong with someone giving an opinion in an interview. That's what we do here all the time. If it has anything to do with a holier than thou attitude, then that's been part of the trek franchise since the original series. Nothing new there.
Old January 19 2013, 10:19 AM   #1958
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Dac wrote: View Post
I think theres a clue in the fact were getting a BD release of Best of Both Worlds One AND Two on the same day they release Season 3.

My money is on CBS-D keeping it in house this time out, at least for 4 and 5. Maybe they'll lease it out again come Season 6 though.

Nope, Season 4 is being done by an external post-house. 5 is being done be CBS-D, perhaps 6 too depending on schedules.
Old January 19 2013, 11:47 AM   #1959
Scotty
Rear Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post

Nope, Season 4 is being done by an external post-house. 5 is being done be CBS-D, perhaps 6 too depending on schedules.
I thought that only the visual effects were being done by an external effects company for season 4 and that CBS-D was still supervizing the remastering.
Old January 19 2013, 12:47 PM   #1960
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

Scotty wrote: View Post
I thought that only the visual effects were being done by an external effects company for season 4 and that CBS-D was still supervizing the remastering.
CBS-D are working on the conform for S4, VFX are indeed outsourced. They hope to be able to guide the VFX if time and resources permit.
Old January 19 2013, 01:09 PM   #1961
NewHorizon
Captain

They hope to be able to guide the VFX if time and resources permit.
They only 'hope' to be able to guide the VFX? Has their parent company CBS not learned anything from Season 2? They're still insisting on holding CBS-D to impossible timelines?

For goodness sake, this is ridiculous. CBS, give CBS-D an extra month per season at the very least, and allow them to ensure the quality is consistent this time. Do they not care about their investment? This is a complicated project, it can't just be slapped together.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 03:09 PM   #1962
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
They hope to be able to guide the VFX if time and resources permit.
They only 'hope' to be able to guide the VFX? Has their parent company CBS not learned anything from Season 2? They're still insisting on holding CBS-D to impossible timelines?

For goodness sake, this is ridiculous. CBS, give CBS-D an extra month per season at the very least, and allow them to ensure the quality is consistent this time. Do they not care about their investment? This is a complicated project, it can't just be slapped together.
Don't rush to judgement so quickly! Season 4 is a way off yet, we haven't seen the work, it's a different company and - as I mentioned - CBS-D hope to guide the VFX.
Old January 19 2013, 03:21 PM   #1963
NewHorizon
Captain

Don't rush to judgement so quickly! Season 4 is a way off yet, we haven't seen the work, it's a different company and - as I mentioned - CBS-D hope to guide the VFX.
Oh, I'm not judging the final product yet but rather CBS's apparent insistence that CBS-D and whatever companies they outsource too meet these tight deadlines.

It's one thing to have set some initial guidelines before they knew just how much work there was, but now that two Seasons are finished CBS should have the sense to reassess the deadlines and grant a little extra breathing space to protect the quality of their investment in this project.
Old January 19 2013, 07:49 PM   #1964
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

TrekCore, thanks for posting pics from The Schizoid Man.

When watching, I noticed an odd choice from HTV. When the Enterprise warps away from Graves' World, there is no transition to the 2-foot model. It remains the 6-footer.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...man_hd_059.jpg

Compared to CBS-D's work:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_042.jpg

They 'cheated' the effect by using a still image, and then stretched and shrunk it. I don't understand why they would redo a stock effect completely from scratch without using the correct element.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 08:33 PM   #1965
NewHorizon
Captain

Unreal. They've got some real pros at HTV.