Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 16 2013, 01:36 PM   #16
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: DS9's 20th Anniversary

They're out to get you, Andrew!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:57 AM   #17
JD
Admiral

I just checked on S&S and it does have Revelations and Dust down as just Star Trek: The Fall. So it looks like it will probably just be "The Fall" with no series specific logos.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 03:26 PM   #18
Jarvisimo
Commander

On the literary treks audio thing, Una said that her Fall book was Picard and Garak on Cardassia. Sounds exciting
Old January 17 2013, 03:27 PM   #19
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They should call it Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Typhon Pact: The Fall: Revelations and Dust. Rolls right off the tongue.
Old January 17 2013, 04:50 PM   #20
ryan123450
Commodore

Sounds like a big seller to me!

Old January 17 2013, 09:40 PM   #21
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

The Section 31 novels were each labelled with the series logo, so there isn't a reason The Fall couldn't be the same.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 11:06 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
The Section 31 novels were each labelled with the series logo, so there isn't a reason The Fall couldn't be the same.
That's not a very good analogy, since the S31 books were all completely independent of each other, connected only by the fact that they all involved that group in some way. (Not unlike the first four Typhon Pact books, in fact, showing that whether the series titles are used or not has more to do with the marketing department's decisions than with story content.) The Fall sounds to me like it's more akin to Gateways, in that its volumes are exploring different phases of a single quadrant-spanning event.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Gateways, which also featured each series' title.

That said, I think in a lot of ways it's better when they leave it off. The whole "Star Trek: The Next Generation # (whatever): Invasion #2: The Soliders Of Fear" chains of titles thing is a bit cumbersome. With Typhon Pact, for instance, it was fairly trivial to tell looking at the covers which series got focus in each entry. As long as they keep doing that, and don't just throw ambiguous space scenes or something on the cover, I say keep the text simple.

I realize this is an extremely minor detail either way.
Old January 18 2013, 01:47 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Gateways, which also featured each series' title.
Which, as I already said, doesn't prove anything, because the title choices aren't about a difference in content, but about a difference in marketing strategy between then and now. Years ago, before Destiny came out, something like Typhon Pact would've had individual series titles. But Destiny was a crossover that wasn't subdivided by series, and it sold big, so the sales department wanted to make Typhon Pact look like Destiny even though the initial four books were really more of a loose thematic crossover like Section 31 or Day of Honor had been.

So since The Fall is another Big Event miniseries, I'd expect it to have no individual series titles.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

A slight misunderstanding of the point you were making; I apologize. We're on the same page here.
Old January 18 2013, 10:30 PM   #26
Odo
Lieutenant

King Daniel wrote: View Post
They should call it Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Typhon Pact: The Fall: Revelations and Dust. Rolls right off the tongue.

Regarding the whole how much a logo really matters thing - I don't really care normally about such things, it's just a logo, what's important is the story.

However, in this case, the fact that novels haven't been labeled as DS9 for so long is indicative of that series' stagnation, for reasons which have been discussed at length before. Fortunately, DS9 has continued on in TrekLit crossovers/events, with great writers continuing those stories. But I would still like to see the continuation of DS9 outside of the wider TrekLit events (which themselves owe much to the DS9 relaunch in some ways), not for DS9 to be simply subsumed into the wider TrekLit world and loose its identity.
Old January 30 2013, 09:44 AM   #27
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Only slightly related to the topic of the thread, but this was the most fitting recent thread:

KRAD has confirmed that he will do a DS9 rewatch for tor.com, once his TNG rewatch is done.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:21 PM   #28
ryan123450
Commodore

Wow for a second there I hoped you were going say "do a DS9 novel". Then my hopes were dashed.

Old January 30 2013, 01:25 PM   #29
Relayer1
Commodore

Odo wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post

Regarding the whole how much a logo really matters thing - I don't really care normally about such things, it's just a logo, what's important is the story.

However, in this case, the fact that novels haven't been labeled as DS9 for so long is indicative of that series' stagnation, for reasons which have been discussed at length before. Fortunately, DS9 has continued on in TrekLit crossovers/events, with great writers continuing those stories. But I would still like to see the continuation of DS9 outside of the wider TrekLit events (which themselves owe much to the DS9 relaunch in some ways), not for DS9 to be simply subsumed into the wider TrekLit world and loose its identity.
Another way of looking at it (and bear in mind I'm an unashamed Niner) is that rolling DS9 into the wider Trekverse has improved the rest of the Trekverse !
Old January 30 2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Wow for a second there I hoped you were going say "do a DS9 novel". Then my hopes were dashed.
I would have definitely opened a new thread for that.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote