Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old January 15 2013, 02:07 PM   #16
USS Einstein
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Was The Expanse really 50 ly from Earth, and 2000 ly across?

LOL

It can't have been a 2000 light year sphere anyway - because the disk of the Milky Way is only 1000 light-years wide outside the galactic core

We can thus infer, that the Expanse, at the very least, had a smaller depth, if not a small diameter.
USS Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

USS Einstein wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Why? The Expanse was gone before the Federation even came into being, so why does it matter?
For the reasons mentioned above - like the removal of the Expanse would have been the most important event in history - yet nobody has even mentioned it.
Nobody mentioned it because it was never relevant to anything that happened in the other shows. (And also because ENT hadn't been produced yet, obviously.) The Delphic Expanse was 50 light years from Earth and extended over 2000 light years, regardless of how little sense it might make.

By the way, Trek BBS has a multiquote function that allows you to respond to multiple quotes without having to post four times in a row (which is kind of frowned upon).
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:59 PM   #18
USS Einstein
Lieutenant Commander

I've never understood why that is frowned upon in forums, as it hardly adds to the server's workload or anything - I think it only applies when someone is blatantly spamming for post-count, and not contributing anything to a discussion.

I've always found it easier to make a different post for a different reply, then it's easier for the person being replied to, to differentiate their discussion, from another one, if they are just skimming the topic

Anyway, on topic, like I said, I can't find where the reference for "50 light years" comes from - it might have been some Memory Alpha editor's personal 'theory', based on travel time/warp speed.

The 2000 light year region might not be quite as awful, if it's far away from the Federation, Klingon Empire, Cardassian Union, and Romulan Star Empire.
USS Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 06:06 AM   #19
BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic
love me and despair

USS Einstein wrote: View Post
I've never understood why that is frowned upon in forums, as it hardly adds to the server's workload or anything - I think it only applies when someone is blatantly spamming for post-count, and not contributing anything to a discussion.
Actually, it also applies to a multiple posts that can inadvertently or deliberately give the appearance of one poster dominating the discussion without letting others get a word in edgewise. So that's another reason we ask you to use the handy-dandy Multiquote function.

I've always found it easier to make a different post for a different reply, then it's easier for the person being replied to, to differentiate their discussion, from another one, if they are just skimming the topic
Humor us.
Old March 27 2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Paper Moon
Commander

So I've been giving this question some thought recently for a story idea I'm working on.

(Writers who may be lurking, be forewarned: story ideas ahead.)

What if the Delphic Expanse was extremely wide (maybe not 2000 ly, but wide nonetheless), rather tall, but not very deep (maybe 5, 10 light years)? A bit like a pizza cutter cutting into the Milky Way. It would be a nearly impenetrable wall. Extremely influential in local astrography, but not necessarily overwhelming in the number of planets contained within.

Assuming it was about 50 ly from Earth in the opposite direction from Qo'noS, it could explain why Earth et al was never overrun by the Cardassians, the Tholians, the Tzenkethi, or the Breen: they couldn't get past the Expanse (and had no incentive to do so).

Indeed, if the Expanse was frightening enough, it could've encouraged the Romulans and Klingons to expand in the other direction long ago, again, leaving Earth et al free to develop.

And it would explain why it took so long for the Cardassians et al to encounter the Federation (and vice-versa); even after its destruction, I bet all the Local powers would've given the former Expanse a wide berth, choosing to focus their efforts elsewhere.

In some ways, the existence of the Expanse for a millenium between ca. 1150 and 2154 explains something that's bothered me for a while now: why did these great empires (Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Breen, whom we know have existed for centuries before the Federation developed) conquer Earth before we had even invented electricity? The Expanse suggests an explanation.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote