Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 18 2013, 03:56 AM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: American Comedy Vs. British Comedy "TV"

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
And all in of themselves historically aired first run.
Not sure what you mean by this.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 04:15 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

OLD.

They're all really really old.

Unless some of those shows are so new I haven't heard of them, about %20 are so old I haven't heard of them.

I live in a country with two channels and no reruns while I was growing up, so everything except Fawlty Towers and M*A*S*H* only aired once, and if you missed something, go fuck yourself.

Seriously, if something old was magically rerun, it was at a difficult time of day and a sheer treat.

Things have improved.

We have maybe 5 "real" channels now and an inexpensive Cable option that is nothing but 90 channels of rerun crap and reality asshattednes in syndication.

I'd like to give a shout out to two Britcoms that are so funny and no one talks about here...

Campus

Phoneshop

Ironically one has the mother from one of the kids form the Sarah Jane Adventures and the other has the tv-dad of the same kid.

Life after science fiction.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 04:31 AM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

OLD.

They're all really really old.

Unless some of those shows are so new I haven't heard of them, about %20 are so old I haven't heard of them.

I live in a country with two channels and no reruns while I was growing up, so everything except Fawlty Towers and M*A*S*H* only aired once, and if you missed something, go fuck yourself.

Seriously, if something old was magically rerun, it was at a difficult time of day and a sheer treat.

Things have improved.

We have maybe 5 "real" channels now and an inexpensive Cable option that is nothing but 90 channels of rerun crap and reality asshattednes in syndication.

I'd like to give a shout out to two Britcoms that are so funny and no one talks about here...

Campus

Phoneshop

Ironically one has the mother from one of the kids form the Sarah Jane Adventures and the other has the tv-dad of the same kid.

Life after science fiction.
Yeah, Black Adder is old too. The first series came out in 1983 and the last one in 1989. Hyfen_Underskor didn't mention age in his post. So what's your point? That you missed out on some American TV shows?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old January 18 2013, 04:41 AM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

My point was, blunt as it was, is that Americans have stopped making historical comedies, a very, very long time ago.

That 70s show?

Okay maybe they haven't stopped completely.

Old January 18 2013, 05:04 AM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My point was, blunt as it was, is that Americans have stopped making historical comedies, a very, very long time ago.

That 70s show?

Okay maybe they haven't stopped completely.
Maybe you just missed them.
Old January 18 2013, 05:10 AM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Amasov wrote: View Post
Keeping Up Appearances was my first exposure to British comedy. I became an instant fan. I've seen each episode a dozen times, but it never ceases to make me laugh. Love that Bucket woman.

It was even said a recent thread about Frasier, that it was the most British American sitcom we've ever had.
I think a lot of Americans think British comedy consists of Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances and Benny Hill.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 05:34 AM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I've been watching reruns of Are you being served (shut up) since I was 4 years old off and on... The older I get, the less undoable Mrs Slocum becomes.

Old January 18 2013, 05:36 AM   #23
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My Dad liked that show.
Old January 18 2013, 05:54 AM   #24
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Keeping Up Appearances was my first exposure to British comedy. I became an instant fan. I've seen each episode a dozen times, but it never ceases to make me laugh. Love that Bucket woman.

It was even said a recent thread about Frasier, that it was the most British American sitcom we've ever had.
I think a lot of Americans think British comedy consists of Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances and Benny Hill.
They think of them as something on PBS. British television is a staple of the public broadcasting stations.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 06:06 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I've been watching reruns of Are you being served (shut up) since I was 4 years old off and on... The older I get, the less undoable Mrs Slocum becomes.
And you are unanimous in that.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 11:07 AM   #26
Relayer1
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

I don't know what is more surprising - that these aired in the States or that people over there like them...
Old January 18 2013, 11:59 AM   #27
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Some shows are just funnier than others, irrespective of whether they're British or American.
Old January 18 2013, 03:11 PM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

This is the internet! Reason has no place here!

Andy Sandberg did a Britcom late last year.

A hippy American who marries a good little English Girl, and her parents hate him.

Barely funny.

But after 6 episodes I did accept that i was enjoying the interplay between the characters.

Old January 18 2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Pingfah
Admiral

Hyfen_Underskor wrote: View Post

5. I don't think we have anything like Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Britain has a plethora of sketch comedy groups, many of which have been given their own TV shows, but yeah, I can't remember ever seeing anything similar on American TV. Saturday Night Live seems to be the closest you have, although the cast is constantly changing on that, it does feature a fair bit of absurdist comedy though.

Kids in the Hall remind me a lot of Python, although they are Canadian of course.
Old January 18 2013, 03:45 PM   #30
Bob Karo
Captain

They both have hit or misses. There's probably some filtering for quality or at least popularity before Brit shows get distribution over here. We get dozens of crappy new shows every season that get quickly cancelled off. I'm sure the same is true over there and we just don't see them.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote