Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 18 2013, 02:14 AM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Kamdan wrote: View Post
They also changed the color of Thelin in Yesteryear.
How so?
I would assume they corrected his skin color to blue. Due to the director's colorblindness, he was originally rendered with gray skin. (A tie-in novel in which he appeared a few years ago explained this by saying he was half-Aenar.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 03:51 AM   #32
Kamdan
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Kamdan wrote: View Post
They also changed the color of Thelin in Yesteryear.
How so?
I would assume they corrected his skin color to blue. Due to the director's colorblindness, he was originally rendered with gray skin. (A tie-in novel in which he appeared a few years ago explained this by saying he was half-Aenar.)
The LaserDisc edition had him caucasian colored, giving me the impression that he was half-human, like Spock. The DVD had him grey colored. Also, take note that the black collar isn't on the DVD editon.

Kamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 05:00 PM   #33
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Given the lack of detail in animation, I didn't think that this was something that could benefit from a Blu-ray release. But if they clean up anything that needs to be cleaned up, I can see that as a benefit.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 05:09 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

^Better to say "the lack of detail in 1970s US television animation." All animation is not created equal.

Old January 18 2013, 05:15 PM   #35
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

It would be wonderful if they redid all the episodes with modern animation and they could even maybe lengthen the episodes using the voices taken from the cancelled video game Vulcan's fury.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 06:36 PM   #36
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

tmosler wrote: View Post
It would be wonderful if they redid all the episodes with modern animation and they could even maybe lengthen the episodes using the voices taken from the cancelled video game Vulcan's fury.
I'm kinda "meh" on the new animation thing that everybody seems to want, but I would love to see a new episode done in the original style. If there's enough audio from that game, that would be a fun idea indeed.
Old January 18 2013, 08:32 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

I don't get the idea of wanting to see it redone in a different animation style. That's like saying you want to see the Mona Lisa redone as a sculpture, or hear a Metallica song redone for a string quartet -- or see TOS redone with found footage-style shakycam. The transposition to another medium might be an interesting exercise, but one would hardly be a replacement for the other. It's not like upgrading software or buying a more sophisticated vacuum cleaner or something. They're different styles of art and they're equally valid.

Old January 18 2013, 08:39 PM   #38
Redfern
Commodore

Christopher, I'm earnestly curious. What do you think the "crazy idea" could be? Something that's actually "do-able", something they reasonably consider.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 09:01 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Redfern wrote: View Post
Christopher, I'm earnestly curious. What do you think the "crazy idea" could be? Something that's actually "do-able", something they reasonably consider.
I'm not sure that parameter fits what Mr. Burnett actually said, which was, "There are plans afoot to bring The Animated Series to Blu-ray, and I have an idea that would be crazy to pull off, but if we could it would be really interesting." So it sounds like he's not very confident that his idea would be doable at all. Beyond that, well, the article says he's responsible for the special features on the Blu-Ray sets, so it's reasonable to think he's talking about an idea for the special features rather than some kind of alteration of TAS itself. As for what that could be, there's no further information on which to base a conjecture.

Old January 23 2013, 04:06 PM   #40
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I had remembered TAS with rose-colored glasses. It has its plusses, which I've commented on elsewhere.

But blu-ray? Yeah, that'll vastly improve my overall experience of the series and make me want to watch them over and over again. Not. You all must have lots of disposable income.

Last edited by plynch; January 23 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling matters
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 06:47 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post

But blu-ray? Yeah, that'll vastly improve my overall experience of the series and make me want to watch them over and over again. Not. You all must have lots of disposable income.
Part of the reason I was willing to pay again for TOS, and currently TNG, is because they were remastered. If they had just been straight transfers of the DVD's, I likely wouldn't have bothered. Even though Enterprise is coming to Blu-ray, I don't see much point in purchasing it because I own the DVD's and have already seen the show in HD.

Though I've watched the Blu-rays I've bought enough to justify the cost!
Old January 23 2013, 07:06 PM   #42
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Overall I was happy with the DVD release, but I was less than thrilled with the recoloring of the sky in The Time Trap from red to black.
Old January 23 2013, 07:10 PM   #43
Lance
Fleet Captain

I hope that they fix that film plate issue in that episode where the Klingon suddenly appears in front of the viewscreen on the bridge, instead of actually being on the viewscreen.

Apart from that, the rest of it can stay exactly as it is. I've got no problems with how TAS turned out whatsoever.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 07:18 PM   #44
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
...and a quarter-century ago, there was vehement and deep-rooted hostility toward TNG
That's alive and well on my part!
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 07:29 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Speaking of coloring issues in the DVD release of "The Time Trap" -- does anyone know if Devna's skin color was altered? The original Star Trek Concordance refers to Devna as "golden-skinned" (in its lexicon entry for "Orion colonies"), but in the DVD version she's pale green, as one would expect of an Orion.