Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 17 2013, 12:18 AM   #166
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

RAMA wrote: View Post
Just to be fair here--though Voyager is my least favorite Trek show--the "cut off from home" premise was meant to make the exploration feel more like early TOS. However, you can never have that premise with a working starship, as presented in Star Trek. Firstly, you are in the galaxy, not limited by the resources of one planet, and equipped with a warp drive to access it all. Secondly, as long as you have raw material or even certain molecules, you can create anything with a replicator! Thirdly, the worst factor would not be survival but human frailty...psychological effects of space and conflict, missing loved ones, etc. But even here you have holodecks for therapy, counselors, and let's not forget, some very effective UFP ideology and training, for a crew that were mostly officers. Yes, these people are not the dim-bulbs from NuBSG who try to settle on planets when they should be running from the enemy. Ideology is what can make the impossible possible, as with the communists in Vietnam, bombing builldings with airplanes, or sending men to the moon.
Granted, but you would still expect a Captain to try to conserve energy and resources in a situation like that, and not let the crew waste it on so many silly Holodeck adventures. And having the ship survive countless Kazon and Borg(!) attacks with no lasting repurcussions or damage strained credibility to the breaking point as well.

Hell, even after a minor skirmish Picard would usually set course for the nearest Starbase at the end of an episode-- and that was for a freakin powerful, Galaxy-class starship! I have to imagine the dinky little Voyager would be in even more dire straights.

I didn't need VOY to be perfectly realistic or anything, but the show barely even tried to take it's premise seriously.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:05 AM   #167
throwback
Captain

There are two types of shows: Procedural vs. Serialized.

* Procedural or episodic shows are stand alone episodes. There may be arcs that connect shows. These shows have a built-in reset button which sets the show back to default. Most of Star Trek has been of this type.

* Serialized shows are a chain of connected episodes. There is no reset button. Storylines, characters, and, sometimes, settings change over the course of the series. Enterprise experimented with serialization in its third season.

http://seriable.com/serialized-vs-pr...vision-series/

The premise of Voyager was best suited for serialization; however, the show was done as a procedural.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 01:46 PM   #168
MikeS
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Rob was alluding to the BOBW Standalone Disc but also the very special features he's produced for it... and possibly more ;-)
Oh, I do hope that those features make it onto a season set. I am not going to be parting with my cash twice no matter how good the VAM. That doesn't mean I don't want to see the VAM though!

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Wow. I'm not sure how to say this without being rude, but seeing this picture (A good looking picture by the way) makes me feel old.
Makes me feel old too but I can only hope I look as good when I reach her age.
Old January 17 2013, 03:29 PM   #169
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=davejames;7546024
Granted, but you would still expect a Captain to try to conserve energy and resources in a situation like that, and not let the crew waste it on so many silly Holodeck adventures.
[/quote]

They actually explained the ability to use the holodecks away on-screen in one of the worst cop-outs written into any sci-fi show. Apparently the holodecks have their own incompatible power reactors, they tried out them to boost ships power and "blew out the power grid on two decks" - wow a test might have been a good idea before just plugging them in.

I actually really like Voyager, and am in the camp that it shouldnt just have become nuBSG, but even I thought this one was a bit silly, why not just have everyone eat on the holodeck then???

And having the ship survive countless Kazon and Borg(!) attacks with no lasting repurcussions or damage strained credibility to the breaking point as well.
It certainly didn't help. They did put damage during episodes, like Equinox for example, but it was always gone by the next week.
Old January 17 2013, 04:16 PM   #170
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
Wow. I'm not sure how to say this without being rude, but seeing this picture (A good looking picture by the way) makes me feel old.
Indeed. She looks pretty good to me.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 04:35 PM   #171
mythme
Commodore

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Indeed. She looks pretty good to me.
Kinda how I's imagine Bernadette from "Big Bang Theory" looking when she gets older.
Old January 17 2013, 05:53 PM   #172
PaulMarshall
Ensign

I can't wait... The nanotechnology ep is the first one... And has an even bigger baseball fanatic than captain sisko lol, playing out entire seasons in his head
PaulMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:50 PM   #173
Mott the barber
Commodore

throwback wrote: View Post
There are two types of shows: Procedural vs. Serialized.

* Procedural or episodic shows are stand alone episodes. There may be arcs that connect shows. These shows have a built-in reset button which sets the show back to default. Most of Star Trek has been of this type.

* Serialized shows are a chain of connected episodes. There is no reset button. Storylines, characters, and, sometimes, settings change over the course of the series. Enterprise experimented with serialization in its third season.

http://seriable.com/serialized-vs-pr...vision-series/

The premise of Voyager was best suited for serialization; however, the show was done as a procedural.
Agree with you there.
Old January 17 2013, 07:49 PM   #174
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Final part is up folks: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01172...rburnett7.html

Burnett's thoughts on a new Trek TV series, new TNG movie, why he'll always be such a crazy fan and Next Gen's Season 2 remastering.

Thanks for everyone's awesome comments - Rob was an absolute joy to talk to, and the feedback has been amazing
Old January 17 2013, 08:31 PM   #175
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

You talked to him for 3 HOURS? Man, Trekcore is really becoming the go to destination for exclusives and stuff like that. You've done a great job growing the site and making it a powerhouse.
Old January 17 2013, 10:04 PM   #176
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

You talked to him for 3 HOURS? Man, Trekcore is really becoming the go to destination for exclusives and stuff like that. You've done a great job growing the site and making it a powerhouse.
We actually talked for longer - there's a whole new part on "Free Enterprise" coming, but the 7-part feature you see was 3 hours!

I'm grateful for the wonderful feedback, it's great motivation to keep going. Not always easy when things have developed so fast and I have such limited resources.

Oh - and I just wrapped an awesome 90 minute interview with Roger Lay, Jr. on Monday with some fantastic information about the upcoming TNG and Enterprise Blu-Ray releases. Watch out for it next week!
Old January 17 2013, 11:31 PM   #177
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I'm grateful for the wonderful feedback, it's great motivation to keep going. Not always easy when things have developed so fast and I have such limited resources.
Well, if there is any more motivation, I've added your RSS feed to my bookmark toolbar. You know at least one person is reading.
Old January 17 2013, 11:32 PM   #178
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
It's been over 20 years.
Just looked on her page at Memory Alpha, she's only 52. Man she was a lot younger than she looked back then. Looking good for 52.
Old January 18 2013, 01:27 AM   #179
Dukhat
Commodore

Rob was alluding to the BOBW Standalone Disc but also the very special features he's produced for it... and possibly more ;-)
I'm hoping that he means there will be more CGI wrecked starships from Wolf 359 in addition to the models we saw, but that's probably not what he means.
Old January 18 2013, 05:03 AM   #180
davejames
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
It's been over 20 years.
Just looked on her page at Memory Alpha, she's only 52. Man she was a lot younger than she looked back then. Looking good for 52.
I have to admit, it IS kind of fun to look up what some of these guest stars look like now, after watching these episodes again.

Whether it's Riva from Loud as a Whisper or the girl from Coming of Age.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote