TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 17 2013, 08:24 PM   #46
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Not at all.

With the right proportions, it comes out about the same consistency as a really thick marinara which chili should be.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 08:33 PM   #47
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has wished me well. I appreciate it!

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if you're eating seafood J.? This is what I'm eating right now, but you could easily substitute the prawns with tofu or another vegetable, zucchini would be good.

Brown rice, lightly steamed broccoli, prawns and red pepper. The prawns and red pepper are just swirled around a pan with a little oil and a glob of minced garlic to heat them so the peppers are crunchy. The stuff sprinkled on top is chillie shrimp and dried onion topping which I'm addicted to, nicely pungent and hot.

Other than the rice cooking time very quick and easy.

That looks delicious! I'll try that (sans seafood). Thanks, teacake.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
It is a haphazard dish, and everything can be changed according to taste, I often use a combination of canned, fresh, and frozen beans and veggies, but it's up to the chef. Here is how I do it:

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.
There are some ingredients here I've never put in my chili (though that was meat chili). I'll definitely have to try this recipe, tsq.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
That sounds delicious! I know what I'm going to make next. Right now, my crock pot has a whole chicken in it, with a bed of rice. Haven't tried it yet, but it smells great... (I know, I know, not appropriate to this thread.)
It's perfectly okay with me. Healthy eating is the goal here!

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You know what's really good in chili? V8. I hardly ever drink the stuff as I much prefer fresh juice, but it's excellent for cooking provided you cut way back on the salt.

Granted, chili is pretty much shunned around here as something "loudmouth Texans" eat. New Mexicans much prefer tortilla soup and/or green chile stew which is pretty much heaven in a bowl.
Yes, V8's a good seasoning. I used the low sodium variety, myself.

You know what's really good in chili? V8. I hardly ever drink the stuff as I much prefer fresh juice, but it's excellent for cooking provided you cut way back on the salt.
I feel like it would be too watery?
It comes out fairly thick, actually. I tried it once on my meat chili, and it was pretty zippy. It wasn't as thick as my own chili recipe, though. I make the kind of chili you can hold upside down and it won't leave the pot.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

If you're going vegetarian for health reasons, I sure hope you know what you're doing. If you're not completely committed or you don't have a specific diet planned out to satisfy all your body's nutritional needs you're going to end up horribly weak and sicker than you've ever been.

I've toyed with the idea of completely giving meat up, but I stick with meat for my health. You can live a healthy life as a vegetarian, but holy fuck is it going to be time-consuming and difficult. Personally, I'd say cutting down your meat consumption is a much better idea than completely giving it up if you want to improve your health, but to each their own.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:27 PM   #49
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
If you're going vegetarian for health reasons, I sure hope you know what you're doing. If you're not completely committed or you don't have a specific diet planned out to satisfy all your body's nutritional needs you're going to end up horribly weak and sicker than you've ever been.

I've toyed with the idea of completely giving meat up, but I stick with meat for my health. You can live a healthy life as a vegetarian, but holy fuck is it going to be time-consuming and difficult. Personally, I'd say cutting down your meat consumption is a much better idea than completely giving it up if you want to improve your health, but to each their own.
True, it requires a bit more care, but so far, I haven't been hungry, I've had more energy than I did even a week ago, and my blood sugar and blood pressure are still lowering at a steady pace. Plus, I have taken great care to memorize daily nutritional requirements, adjusting as necessary. I don't usually half-ass anything.

Old January 17 2013, 09:35 PM   #50
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

When it comes to food, always use your whole ass!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:52 PM   #51
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
When it comes to food, always use your whole ass!
Damn straight!

Old January 17 2013, 09:52 PM   #52
KimMH
Rear Admiral

^^I do so wish teh BBS would add a "like" smilie. Guess this will do
Old January 17 2013, 09:59 PM   #53
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

That's complete, total, utter nonsense. It is very easy to eat a complete and healthy vegetarian diet!

Not at all.

With the right proportions, it comes out about the same consistency as a really thick marinara which chili should be.
Oh HELLZ no. Your spoon should be able to stand on its own in a bowl of chili!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:17 PM   #54
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Well, there's also Cincinnati style chili, which isn't very thick. We have that around here, and while I enjoy it, when I eat chili, I want chili, and I want it thick.

Old January 17 2013, 10:24 PM   #55
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Is it true that there are dozens of places in Cincinnati to eat chili that are all like within a few blocks of each other? Ron White said so in his stand-up act and I wondered if it was true.
Old January 17 2013, 10:24 PM   #56
lurok
Commodore

Sloppy chili? Gack.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:42 PM   #57
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

That's complete, total, utter nonsense. It is very easy to eat a complete and healthy vegetarian diet!
I agree. Back in the day, some popular book -- maybe it was Diet for a Small Planet -- made a huge deal out of the need to eat "complementary proteins", but that was disproven years ago.

Not at all.

Yup. Like my grandmother's coffee after she lived a few years in Turkey.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:43 PM   #58
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Is it true that there are dozens of places in Cincinnati to eat chili that are all like within a few blocks of each other? Ron White said so in his stand-up act and I wondered if it was true.
Yes. Hell, I live 25 miles outside of Cincinnati, in a town of less than 8,000, and we have two Cincinnati style chili restaurants within half a mile of each other.

Old January 17 2013, 10:45 PM   #59
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^Hmm. Interesting. I love chili, but I've never eaten it Cincinnati-style. When I visit GABP I will have to try some.

TZ: Your grandmother's coffee sounds like Raktajino!
Old January 17 2013, 10:46 PM   #60
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I'm sorta going veggie...well not quite, but I'm going for a easily made and healthy soup based diet due to health and finance reasons. Simply, I need to eat better and it won't hurt my wallet since I will be making a lot of my own food a lot more then I used to.

Last night I made a tomato soup that turned out delicious, plus I was so filling and I made so much that I had food for tonights dinner, and tomorrows lunch and dinner if I feel like it!

Also, no, I am not going to eat only soups but I'm gonna try and eat more soups for dinner to help my digestive system during the night. Not be so heavy on it.
It is a haphazard dish, and everything can be changed according to taste, I often use a combination of canned, fresh, and frozen beans and veggies, but it's up to the chef. Here is how I do it:

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.
That sounds delicious! Though I might see if I (and this gonna sound like sacrilege) will remove the beans. Or at least not do as much of them. I know, I know, no chili without beans, but I'm not a huge fan. Luckily bro is so he might eat mine.

Also:
Hellz to the yes, chili should be thick!