TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 17 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

American Comedy Vs. British Comedy "TV"

Who is funnier?

I've got to give this one to the brits. Part of this may be because their funniest comedians have a stronger presence on British TV, whereas our (the U.S.) funniest comedians are in the cinema, and for the most part a separate entity from that of TV.

To be honest, I don't watch network TV anymore, unless there's a sporting event of interest on. But I can see from commercials that our comedy is just as bad (or worse) than it has been for years. It's unbelievable what they attempt to pass of as comedy.
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Re: American Comedy Vs. British Comedy "TV"

American and Britain each have their gems. Some British stuff sucks, and some awesome. Same with the US.
Old January 17 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Both are very different -

British shows tend to have one or two writers (often the creators) and produce short seasons of hopefully inspired comedy, i.e. Fawlty Towers.

American shows seem to be long seasons produced by multiple hired writers relying on the numbers and turnover to keep it fresh, i.e. Friends.

Both systems produce classics and duds. Mainly the latter...
Old January 17 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Most TV in both systems is absolutely crap - each throws up some gems.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

The brits have put out duds for sure. I think there are a number of strengths they have that we don't.

1. Not afraid to use senior actors/actresses as leading characters (Waiting For God, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances), which tends to remove barriers of having to look good in every shot (Friends, and the equivalents thereof).

2. They've been able to pull off some Sci-Fi comedies (Red Dwarf, HHGTTG, and yes, I would include Doctor Who). The closest we've done that I can think of is Third Rock From The Sun, which I have a strange hunch was not that funny ( I never really watched it).

3. A show not designated as a comedy can be very funny (Doctor Who, Rumpole Of The Bailey).

4. The ability to pull off historical themes. The brits were able to produce a successful renaissance era comedy (The Black Adder). We haven't produced any comedy westerns, or pilgrim/founding father comedies. I have to admit though, that the Brits attempted another Renaissance era comedy that was a flop.

5. I don't think we have anything like Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Third Rock From the Sun was HILARIOUS.
Old January 17 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Servo
Rear Admiral

^ This.
Old January 17 2013, 06:56 PM   #8
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Third Rock from the Sun was incredibly funny, at least in the first few seasons, in the end it wasn't that great anymore, but it wasn't that bad as, say, Friends, which was funny for the first couple of seasons and then gradually became unbearable. Third Rock is one of my fave US sitcoms, after Frasier and Arrested Development. If we count adult cartoons, then obviously I would count The Simpsons until 8th or 9th season or whichever it was, South Park at its best, and Archer. And of course Seinfeld, though I was never a big fan.

On the other hand, Brits have had brilliant TV comedies ranging from Only Fools and Horses to Monty Python's Flyng Circus to The Office (although the US version is OK, too, the British original is the first in my heart).

Hyfen_Underskor wrote: View Post
The brits have put out duds for sure. I think there are a number of strengths they have that we don't.

1. Not afraid to use senior actors/actresses as leading characters (Waiting For God, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances), which tends to remove barriers of having to look good in every shot (Friends, and the equivalents thereof).

2. They've been able to pull off some Sci-Fi comedies (Red Dwarf, HHGTTG, and yes, I would include Doctor Who). The closest we've done that I can think of is Third Rock From The Sun, which I have a strange hunch was not that funny ( I never really watched it).

3. A show not designated as a comedy can be very funny (Doctor Who, Rumpole Of The Bailey).

4. The ability to pull off historical themes. The brits were able to produce a successful renaissance era comedy (The Black Adder). We haven't produced any comedy westerns, or pilgrim/founding father comedies. I have to admit though, that the Brits attempted another Renaissance era comedy that was a flop.

5. I don't think we have anything like Monty Python's Flying Circus.
I would agree with most of these, however, 3) is also true of some American shows. Buffy, anyone? (Angel, Firefly, too, occasionally.) US TV is quite fond of dramedies.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Just looking back at the last 10 years or so the only American comedy I've enjoyed was Arrested Development. From Britain, I enjoyed Peep Show and The IT Crowd.

But I don't watch much TV in general.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

how come americans don't do panel shows? they're missing out.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 12:40 AM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

The next question is do Brits and Americans tend to favour certain types of comedy i.e. Verbal or Physical. (Not to say you can't like both)
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Sheep
Vice Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
how come americans don't do panel shows? they're missing out.
Like Have I Got News For You? I've wondered this myself, but I'm guessing the reason is because those shows wouldn't be able to get anything beyond B-, C- and D-list guests since the A-list crowd is clearly too good/busy/much of a moron/coked up to appear on a silly panel show.
Old January 18 2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Hyfen_Underskor wrote: View Post

F-Troop

Best of the West

Dusty's Trail

Here Come the Brides

The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer

Thanks

Hogan's Heroes

MASH

McHale's Navy

All historical comedies
Old January 18 2013, 03:44 AM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And all in of themselves historically aired first run.

The post post post modern era of Television began the day after friends finished.

Just watched a new English comedy "Way to Go" which was more odd than funny, about a threesome of lads who invent a Kovorcian like suicide machine and solicit old age pensioners with temrinal this or that to plug into it for a mountain of cash.

Yes odd, one of the kids from inbetweeners in it, but I didn't laugh once.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 03:51 AM   #15
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Keeping Up Appearances was my first exposure to British comedy. I became an instant fan. I've seen each episode a dozen times, but it never ceases to make me laugh. Love that Bucket woman.

It was even said a recent thread about Frasier, that it was the most British American sitcom we've ever had.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote