Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.00%
Good 31 38.75%
Average 4 5.00%
A bit poor 3 3.75%
Awful 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14 2013, 03:17 AM   #166
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

I've bought the blu-ray, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet since I still have Christmas DVDs and blu-rays to plow through.

BTW, has anyone checked out IDW's new Judge Dredd comic series yet? It seems to be set in its own continuity, related but not connected to the original comic continuity and completed unconnected to the continuity of either movie. So far, two issues have been released with a third coming in a few weeks. Issue 1 isn't really anything particularly remarkable, but issue 2 is pretty damn cool which leaves me looking forward to issue 3.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I re-watched this yesterday and I realise there is an small bit of this film that bugs me - when Back-up arrives and they simply accept on face value that the blast doors are stuck and just stand around. Other than that, really enjoyed this.
I admit, those particular Judges were pretty useless, but I had no problems with it since not everyone is particularly competant at their job.
Old January 14 2013, 03:57 AM   #167
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I've bought the blu-ray, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet since I still have Christmas DVDs and blu-rays to plow through.

BTW, has anyone checked out IDW's new Judge Dredd comic series yet? It seems to be set in its own continuity, related but not connected to the original comic continuity and completed unconnected to the continuity of either movie. So far, two issues have been released with a third coming in a few weeks. Issue 1 isn't really anything particularly remarkable, but issue 2 is pretty damn cool which leaves me looking forward to issue 3.
I also have the BR copy, but like you not watched it yet for the same reason. Christmas and my own Black Friday watching. Not to mention I'm also watching Stargate SG-1 inter-spliced in these new discs for the first time.

I also have the first two issues from IDW and would agree with your assessment. I'm not well versed outside the 90's crossover with Batman so I'm just taking it as it is since I don't have the original continuity run to compare with.

Looking forward though to watching my copy!! I really enjoyed it in the theater.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 11:25 AM   #168
Starkers
Admiral

And so it begins?

Maybe

I hopefully should have my DVD copy through the post soon.

PS, those two guys who hang around outside are officially the worst Judges ever!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 12:36 PM   #169
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I re-watched this yesterday and I realise there is an small bit of this film that bugs me - when Back-up arrives and they simply accept on face value that the blast doors are stuck and just stand around. Other than that, really enjoyed this.
The only bit that bugs me is the "Wait" bit. If they had left it at that without the follow up line it would have been genuis.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 01:16 PM   #170
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
And so it begins?

Maybe

I hopefully should have my DVD copy through the post soon.

PS, those two guys who hang around outside are officially the worst Judges ever!
Hmmm - dare we hope that DVD/Bluray sales & rental will be good enough to greenlight a sequel?
Old January 17 2013, 02:09 PM   #171
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Doesn't hurt to wish for that.

I was hoping to read an actual number of just how many units/dollars were moved to place it at #1. Perhaps some commentary on if that figure was better, worse or on par with expectations and/or other similar type films. The best it gave us was that Lionsgate typically does well with releases this time of year and leads. Some comparison might've been nice in order to gauge if wishing for this to help bolster a sequel was likely.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 02:16 PM   #172
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah it would be interesting to know. I heard the other day about another film that had done dismally at the box office yet got a sequel because it did so well on the home market. Wish I could remember what it was (It was a terrible film as I recall!)

Old January 17 2013, 02:41 PM   #173
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Hot Tub Time Machine? No idea how that did at the box office but I did read yesterday it has been given a sequel
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 04:08 PM   #174
therealsb63
Lieutenant

I was pretty surprised to see "Dredd" on the shelves at Target and Wal-Mart already...I don't think the film was even shown in my area. I had intended to see it in the theatre.

Old January 17 2013, 04:35 PM   #175
Starkers
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
^ Hot Tub Time Machine? No idea how that did at the box office but I did read yesterday it has been given a sequel
That's the one! Thank you!! That would have bugged me for ages!

Old January 17 2013, 05:34 PM   #176
The Wormhole
Admiral

I suppose there is precedent, DVD sales of Firefly is basically the reason Serenity got made. Still, I'll be very surprised if Dredd does get a sequel. Of course, this is one time I wouldn't mind being surprised.
Old January 17 2013, 08:11 PM   #177
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

The first Austin Powers movie did poorly in theatres, but was a hit on video. That's why they did the first sequel (that being a hit being the reason they did another one). So, yeah, there's precedent.

I'm actually considering passing on the German release in favor of a UK or US DVD, because that's where it really counts to the studio.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:46 PM   #178
Captain April
Commander

If initial blu/dvd sales are any indication Dredd should be given a sequel. And well deserved as well. It was a fantastic film.
Captain April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:19 PM   #179
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I hope Dredd's DVD/BD sales are enough to get a sequel, but I'd be content with a TV spinoff in some form (even an animated one).
Old January 17 2013, 10:28 PM   #180
Harvey
Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
The first Austin Powers movie did poorly in theatres, but was a hit on video. That's why they did the first sequel (that being a hit being the reason they did another one). So, yeah, there's precedent.
The first movie didn't perform as well as either of its sequels, but it still made $67 million worldwide against a $16.5 million budget. Dredd, on the other hand, only made $32.7 million, against a budget of $50 million.

I'm actually considering passing on the German release in favor of a UK or US DVD, because that's where it really counts to the studio.
At the box office, domestic (North American) grosses are less and less important to the studios. No idea if that also applies to home video, but I'd wager it was the case.

Still haven't seen this movie, but I might if/when it comes to Netflix instant.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote