Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 15 2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: David Foster reveals his plans for a new Star Trek series?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
Then what's your take on Renegades?
I think you're confused about what Renegades is. But that's ok, because you aren't the only one.

All Renegades is is a fan production, just like James Cawley's Phase II...
Yep. Absolutely Right(TM).
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The whole definition of TV is changing.
True, but that doesn't change the fact that Star Trek is a premium brand (now more than ever thanks to JJ Abrams). CBS would be foolish to undo all the brand building work Abrams is doing for them (for free!) by making some cheapo web series that's not going to make them much money anyway.

Better to just do nothing, and wait for a proposal to come along that will encompass traditional TV plus streaming (why just do the internet when you can do both?) Orci doing an animated series with the Abrams characters (voiced by cheaper actors) is still far and away the most likely scenario.

But first, we have to wait for confirmation that the next movie is a success (and it will be). Then CBS may have confidence to go ahead. Don't underestimate what a tough sell space opera is on TV.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 09:54 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Amasov wrote: View Post
My question is, in all seriousness, who is David Foster? I've never heard of this man.
Exactly why it's so bewildering that some people still think there's a story here.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:04 AM   #19
nightwind1
Commodore

Hey, folks, I've got a great idea for a new Star Trek series. I can't talk about it yet- hush-hush, y'know. But I'm going to talk to CBS sometime in the indefinite future and get their permission to take over one of their money-making franchises.

Now, I've got no experience (except for the two years of telecommunicative arts I majored in back in '77-'79). But my idea is rock solid.

So, keep it hush-hush, okay?

I'll let you know what comes of it.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:12 AM   #20
DFoster
Cadet

...he wouldn't have spilled the whole idea to the public before even getting a meeting with CBS....So the fact that Foster revealed so much of his idea online is the best reason to doubt that anything was ever going to come of it...

Um...nice facts .

The fact, is that there are over 800 pages of 'the whole idea.' How many pages are out there? None, just a few words, and a whole lot of discussion. Oh, yes, and some interviews that never happened.

Much has been published as fact without any real research. The people who have called or emailed directly have more information I assure you.

The true fans are excited about getting a well written series with gripping characters back on TV. If that is what happens, I will be thrilled.

----------

Live Long And Prosper And May Cute And Cuddly Tribbles Fill Your Ship.
DFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:13 AM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My question is, in all seriousness, who is David Foster? I've never heard of this man.
Didn't he write Swanee River?

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:28 AM   #22
mos6507
Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
All Renegades is is a fan production, just like James Cawley's Phase II, that needed CBS's permission to create it, just like all fan productions legally do, since Star Trek is owned by CBS.
Personally, I don't see why it makes sense for the actors assembled for Renegades to do it unless it is a back-door pilot. A one-off like Of Gods and Men, sure, but an ongoing series? I know it can be a fun pass-time, even for pro actors, but that's a big time-commitment with no ROI.
Old January 16 2013, 04:30 AM   #23
mos6507
Captain

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Hey, folks, I've got a great idea for a new Star Trek series. I can't talk about it yet- hush-hush, y'know. But I'm going to talk to CBS sometime in the indefinite future and get their permission to take over one of their money-making franchises.

Now, I've got no experience (except for the two years of telecommunicative arts I majored in back in '77-'79). But my idea is rock solid.

If you've ever seen "The Player", that is basically how Hollywood works, believe it or not, save for the honesty about the credentials.
Old January 16 2013, 04:35 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Expert on Hollywood, are you?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 07:04 AM   #25
Dukhat
Commodore

Personally, I don't see why it makes sense for the actors assembled for Renegades to do it unless it is a back-door pilot.
We've already given you the reasons why this is not a "back-door pilot." If you choose not to accept those reasons, that's your own issue.

If you've ever seen "The Player", that is basically how Hollywood works, believe it or not, save for the honesty about the credentials.
That is nothing like how Hollywood works.
Old January 16 2013, 10:03 AM   #26
TJ Sinclair
Captain

DFoster wrote: View Post
...he wouldn't have spilled the whole idea to the public before even getting a meeting with CBS....So the fact that Foster revealed so much of his idea online is the best reason to doubt that anything was ever going to come of it...

Um...nice facts .

The fact, is that there are over 800 pages of 'the whole idea.' How many pages are out there? None, just a few words, and a whole lot of discussion. Oh, yes, and some interviews that never happened.

Much has been published as fact without any real research. The people who have called or emailed directly have more information I assure you.

The true fans are excited about getting a well written series with gripping characters back on TV. If that is what happens, I will be thrilled.

----------

Obvious troll is obvious, I say.

And the only David Foster I've ever heard of is a record producer/songwriter/pianist.
Old January 16 2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Dukhat
Commodore

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
DFoster wrote: View Post

Um...nice facts .

----------

Obvious troll is obvious, I say.

And the only David Foster I've ever heard of is a record producer/songwriter/pianist.
Yep. If this cadet thinks we're going to believe that he's actually the same guy who the OP is talking about, he's got another think coming. The odds of the real David Foster actually reading this topic when there's been not a peep out of him for almost two years is quite remote.
Old January 17 2013, 03:49 AM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post

No.

But then, if your understanding of this is based on watching a (pretty good) movie, your confusion is understandable.

Renegades is a fan film.

I believe the cadet is actually Foster - he's far too defensive to be uninvolved.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Dukhat
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I believe the cadet is actually Foster - he's far too defensive to be uninvolved.
Well, even if he is (which I still doubt), he's still trolling, as the only reason he joined the TrekBBS was to bitch about this post. Which is quite unprofessional, if it is him.
Old January 17 2013, 09:13 PM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Didn't he write Swanee River?

I'll give him credit for having the kind of name I'd expect to see on a Star Trek novel. I could swear I've read something by a David Foster.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote