To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 16 2013, 08:15 PM   #61
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Re: What unseen Star Trek event do you want to read about next?

I'd like stories and histories about man's sub-light exploration of the solar system, before warp speed and going interstellar with aliens and all that.

We know there were DY-100 and DY-500 class vessels
and Christopher's Earth-Saturn probe and the VOY eps about the Mars mission and some ENT eps in the solar system in S4. Is that about it?

Those details don't really tell the stories behind the early explorations.

Cochrane and warp drive came along in 2063 and it seems man took off at lightspeed before getting around to the solar system.

If ENT shows Vulcans holding Earth back for a century or so, I'd imagine that's when the solar system was explored and settled. I'd like those stories.

I know the years are not canon but I always enjoyed the log entries and events of solar system exploration in the Spaceflight Chronology. Stuff like that.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 08:19 PM   #62
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
...and Christopher's Earth-Saturn probe...
The Rings of Time by Greg Cox
Old January 16 2013, 08:21 PM   #63
Christopher
Writer

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
On that note Chris, have you considered developing the Denobulan's any further in your up coming book? I enjoyed the Phlox character on Enterprise and would love to learn more about his people.
The upcoming book is already written; I'm due to get the copyedits in a couple of days. But if I get to do sequels, yeah, I've had the thought that I should visit Denobula at some point.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 08:22 PM   #64
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

How about the first Mars missions?

Ares IV, as shown in "One Small Step", obviously wasn't the FIRST Mars mission...

And on an unrelated matter, I'd still like to know why it's supposedly verboten to post links to fanfic - especially when it's already on the bloody TBBS to begin with...
Old January 16 2013, 09:15 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And on an unrelated matter, I'd still like to know why it's supposedly verboten to post links to fanfic - especially when it's already on the bloody TBBS to begin with...
It's more that discussing story ideas or the contents of fanfic is inappropriate on a board frequented by professional Trek authors, since we can't allow ourselves to be aware of such things. Posting a link to a fanfic isn't quite the same thing, but I can imagine a scenario where I or Greg or Kirsten or Dave or someone might inadvertently click on the link without realizing what it's for. So if nothing else, such links should be clearly marked as fanfic. But since, as you say, there's already a Fan Fiction forum just a click or two away, I'm not sure there's any good reason to post direct links in Trek Literature. So maybe it's an "err on the side of caution" thing rather than a "verboten" thing.

Old January 16 2013, 10:51 PM   #66
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
It's more that discussing story ideas or the contents of fanfic is inappropriate on a board frequented by professional Trek authors, since we can't allow ourselves to be aware of such things. Posting a link to a fanfic isn't quite the same thing, but I can imagine a scenario where I or Greg or Kirsten or Dave or someone might inadvertently click on the link without realizing what it's for. So if nothing else, such links should be clearly marked as fanfic. But since, as you say, there's already a Fan Fiction forum just a click or two away, I'm not sure there's any good reason to post direct links in Trek Literature. So maybe it's an "err on the side of caution" thing rather than a "verboten" thing.
Exactly my point, Christopher. I figured "for the writers' and editors' sake" would make it clear enough, but I guess not. I'm not a moderator or anything, I have no idea if there's a rule against posting fanfic links in TrekLit, but it seems like a good thing to avoid, to prevent any potential misunderstandings as you describe above.

And please note, I never said "verboten" or anything similar in any language. I only said "not cool."
Old January 16 2013, 11:05 PM   #67
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Has the first meeting of Sarek and Amanda been done?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:08 PM   #68
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Sarek by Ann Crispin?
Old January 16 2013, 11:15 PM   #69
Relayer1
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Sarek by Ann Crispin?
I liked that. A reread may be required...
Old January 17 2013, 01:50 AM   #70
Christopher
Writer

Actually, while Sarek does cover portions of their courtship and marriage, I don't think it includes their first meeting. Spock's World does offer a version of it, though. Demons by J.M. Dillard also has flashbacks to their courtship, though I don't know if it shows their first meeting. Of course, these versions aren't all compatible with each other, and I'm not sure if any of them are.

Old January 17 2013, 02:17 AM   #71
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
And please note, I never said "verboten" or anything similar in any language. I only said "not cool."
Can I at least mention the NAME of the fanfic so people can look it up themselves if they want?

And in my defense, I believe I did make it clear that the link was to fanfic.
Old January 17 2013, 02:21 AM   #72
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'd just be thankful if the 24th century books would lay off of people shooting at each other for a little while.
Old January 17 2013, 02:40 AM   #73
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I just checked, fairly new publication. I wasn't aware. Many thanks for the tip.

Last edited by SchwEnt; January 17 2013 at 11:15 PM.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 02:49 AM   #74
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I just checked, fairly new publication. I wasn't aware. Many thanks for tip.
And thanks for the publicity!
Old January 17 2013, 03:20 AM   #75
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lee Son of Pete wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I pitched that to Pocket, but got no interest. It wouldn't feature enough familiar characters or elements to be marketable.
Whilst I'm not overly bothered about that particular story, I hope they ease up on that at some point because I really think the novelverse continuity will only really mature as it moves away from the TV shows.
I don't know. Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that the average reader wants a STAR TREK novel to bear some resemblance to the movies and TV shows. Presumedly, that's why they picked up a STAR TREK novel in the first place, instead of an original sf novel.

I mean, suppose you picked up a Sherlock Holmes novel, expecting to find Holmes and Watson up to their old tricks on Baker Street, only to discover that it was about a pair of detectives named Bartleby and Malone, who were working out of a brothel in Berlin, that Holmes had retired, and that Watson was now working independently as an undercover operative in Argentina, alongside a reformed Sebastian Moran . . . .

Now, you might well find this very exciting and intriguing, or you might also react negatively. "Hey, I wanted to read a Sherlock Holmes story . . . who the heck is this Bartleby character?"
Um, isn't that kind of what Christopher is doing in the next Enterprise novel since the tittle ship has been decommissioned and the crew is not getting another Enterprise?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote