RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 642
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 16 2013, 12:18 AM   #151
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Interesting observation on VOY, about it being "too insidery." Although I still think the bigger problem was it just didn't take it's premise seriously enough. You had a crew that was trapped on the other side of the galaxy, completely cut off from home... and yet the writers insisted on telling the same old Star Trek stories as if nothing was really different.

It completely undermined the credibility of the show, and made the whole thing seem ridiculous as hell.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 12:38 AM   #152
StewMc
Commodore

Interesting that he mentions de Lancie footage for a game, I wonder if this was for the Q VHS game that was never released? Would be great to see. It could also be for the quiz game for the PC that was released...

Oh and it wasn't Gowron in the TNG game, rather O'Reilly playing a rogue Klingon called Kavok.
StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 01:39 AM   #153
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Frontier,

Thanks for posting part 5. I wonder what the actress who played Shelby looks like. That's great if they can talk to her and any major guest star who appeared on the series. Also, if they get Colm Meany for an interview, that would be awesome. The more I read these interviews, the more excited I get for what the future seasons will hold. Going in I was thinking it's going to be tough to cover as much ground in the later seasons as they have for the first two, but it sounds like they know exactly how to do it (Meaning, they have a plan) and I find that incredibly satisfying.
Old January 16 2013, 01:44 AM   #154
davejames
Vice Admiral

I wonder if they could somehow transfer the old Interactive Technical Manual to blu-ray, so you could use your remote control to navigate around the ship.

There were tons of great panoramas and set images that were taken for that (before everything was torn down), and it would be a shame if they could never be seen again.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 03:28 PM   #155
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

mr.peany wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Here's Part 5 everyone:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01152...rburnett5.html

More great stuff from Robert Meyer Burnett including - all those TV specials I keep getting questions about!, Trek composers including Ron Jones, Guest star interviews (again, another popular question I've been getting...) and talk on ENTERPRISE!
Awwwww I wanna know what the special BOBW extra is!!!!!!
That caught my attention as well. Can't wait for S3!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 06:47 PM   #156
Mott the barber
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
I wonder if they could somehow transfer the old Interactive Technical Manual to blu-ray, so you could use your remote control to navigate around the ship.

There were tons of great panoramas and set images that were taken for that (before everything was torn down), and it would be a shame if they could never be seen again.
Much like the BOBW VHS, I ran that CD into the ground.
Old January 16 2013, 08:59 PM   #157
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

TrekCore: Talk to us about “The Best of Both Worlds”. Is this going to dominate the Season Three features? Do you have any special tributes or retrospectives planned for it?
Robert Meyer Burnett: Um… uh…. (Laughs) Yeeesssss, we do!
There’s something very interesting going on with “The Best of Both Worlds” that I can’t talk about yet. But yes, the answer is yes!

WHAT IS IT????

I WANT to know!!! NOW!

Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:44 PM   #158
Flake
Commodore

Re: Composers

McCarthy was good, better than Chattaway imho. He did excellent work for Encounter at Farpoint which he reused. Notably the Q chase score & the Picard theme (can't remember if that was first heard in EaF? Or the Child?) which we heard alot before the sonic wallpaper watershed. Also liked Yesterdays Enterprise score. Not really many themes though?

Chattaway came too late, he came after Ron Jones was fired and after that occured all use of themes seemed to disappear because the music was deliberatley dumbed down and moved into the background. He came in during the sonic wallpaper era and therefore everything he did sounded the same... mostly (talking about TNG only here) TIN MAN is the notable exception. This episode was made when the producers where more 'liberal' about the music and allowed the composers to do what they wanted. Contrast Tin Man to something Chattaway does in season 5. Tin Man is up there with...

Ron Jones. He consistently delivered the best scores. He wrote a theme for each episode he did that really added to the episode and set the tone or built up tension etc.

11001001: The Bynar Theme and various docking music & the music building upto the Bynars stealing the Enterprise. Really good!
We'll always have Paris: Very 'spooky'... not much to it but it fits in perfectly with the episode and its mysterious time events.
Where Silence has Lease: Music at the end when the auto destruct is cancelled.
The Neutral Zone: The Romulan music that built up tension at the end!
Q Who: The Borg music that we will hear again later in the series.
Evolution: Just listen to the music at the start and slightly later when the Enterprise is sent spiraling out of control into the stellar matter.
Booby Trap: Some of the best stuff in the series!
The Defector: Romulan score is back!
Best of Both Worlds!
Brothers: Music when Data disables life support
Final Mission: Music when the shuttle is out of control
Night Terrors: Spooky stuff which fits in with the tone of the ep.

All themes, all (mostly) different. These are the ones that stand out for me. Later in the show it all seems to be turned off, relegated to background and the same tones recycled every week by both composers who are reigned in. Themes gone.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:47 PM   #159
trekker670
Captain

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
TrekCore: Talk to us about “The Best of Both Worlds”. Is this going to dominate the Season Three features? Do you have any special tributes or retrospectives planned for it?
Robert Meyer Burnett: Um… uh…. (Laughs) Yeeesssss, we do!
There’s something very interesting going on with “The Best of Both Worlds” that I can’t talk about yet. But yes, the answer is yes!
WHAT IS IT????

I WANT to know!!! NOW!

When was this interview done? I had assumed the interview itself occurred before the BOBW standalone release was announced and that's what was being alluded to.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:55 PM   #160
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

^ Yep, the interview was done at the start of December. Rob was alluding to the BOBW Standalone Disc but also the very special features he's produced for it... and possibly more ;-)

Here's Part 6!
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01162...rburnett6.html

This part has it all folks, we start with discussion about Remastered Original Series Blu-Rays, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, The Animated Series (including Blu-Ray plans!) and finishing up with some frank words on J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie.
Old January 16 2013, 10:13 PM   #161
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I know this isn't the Voyager forum, but I actually like that idea he had for Voyager. It's a story about survival, and maybe getting home, but what is it like to watch a federation being built from the ground up, and how do you maintain it. That would be a great series, and we would see some new ideas for the Star Trek franchise.

Again, FrontierTrek, thank you for these interviews. They are amazing, and you rock for doing them.
Old January 16 2013, 10:18 PM   #162
RAMA
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Interesting observation on VOY, about it being "too insidery." Although I still think the bigger problem was it just didn't take it's premise seriously enough. You had a crew that was trapped on the other side of the galaxy, completely cut off from home... and yet the writers insisted on telling the same old Star Trek stories as if nothing was really different.

It completely undermined the credibility of the show, and made the whole thing seem ridiculous as hell.

Just to be fair here--though Voyager is my least favorite Trek show--the "cut off from home" premise was meant to make the exploration feel more like early TOS. However, you can never have that premise with a working starship, as presented in Star Trek. Firstly, you are in the galaxy, not limited by the resources of one planet, and equipped with a warp drive to access it all. Secondly, as long as you have raw material or even certain molecules, you can create anything with a replicator! Thirdly, the worst factor would not be survival but human frailty...psychological effects of space and conflict, missing loved ones, etc. But even here you have holodecks for therapy, counselors, and let's not forget, some very effective UFP ideology and training, for a crew that were mostly officers. Yes, these people are not the dim-bulbs from NuBSG who try to settle on planets when they should be running from the enemy. Ideology is what can make the impossible possible, as with the communists in Vietnam, bombing builldings with airplanes, or sending men to the moon.
Old January 16 2013, 10:20 PM   #163
Kinggodzillak
Commander

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I wonder what the actress who played Shelby looks like.
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:37 PM   #164
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I wonder what the actress who played Shelby looks like.
Wow. I'm not sure how to say this without being rude, but seeing this picture (A good looking picture by the way) makes me feel old.
Old January 16 2013, 11:33 PM   #165
Tosk
Rear Admiral

It's been over 20 years.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote