RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,862
Posts: 5,637,418
Members: 25,484
Currently online: 576
Newest member: mid83

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Dogs of War
By: Michelle on Mar 28

Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 13 2013, 09:48 PM   #31
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: SyFy Channel

i love Warehouse 13. i haven't watched any of those other shows, though my uncle swears Merlin is great. just haven't found time to start watching it.

i do miss the old days of Sci Fi Ch. sure, i could watch Lost in Space or Dark Shadows on dvd...but you know sometimes i'd rather just watch a random episode of Space: 1999 than Ghost Hunters.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 10:32 PM   #32
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: SyFy Channel

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Sciffy should rename itself Sturgeon's Law-- 90% of it is crap.
SturFy?
SturFry.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I think we can all stipulate that the wresting doesn't belong, but, like I said, it's only one night a week and, at this point, the usual gripes about it have become boring and predictable. It's like complaining about death and taxes; it long ago lost any entertainment value!
It's been said that Wrestling pays for the shows we actually like. Which is a tragic commentary on society, but I guess that means we can tolerate it until Humanity evolves.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 10:35 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: SyFy Channel

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Sciffy should rename itself Sturgeon's Law-- 90% of it is crap.
SturFy?
SturFry.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I think we can all stipulate that the wresting doesn't belong, but, like I said, it's only one night a week and, at this point, the usual gripes about it have become boring and predictable. It's like complaining about death and taxes; it long ago lost any entertainment value!
It's been said that Wrestling pays for the shows we actually like. Which is a tragic commentary on society, but I guess that means we can tolerate it until Humanity evolves.
Exactly. I mean, I could do without the infomericals at 3 am in the morning, too, but I assume they make sense, economically.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:35 PM   #34
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: SyFy Channel

Concerning the wrestling, it just depends upon the "spin" you give it. Let's try this...

"It's the 21st century. Though Humanity has made great strides in it's technological progress, its thirst for entertainment remains 'primal'. Much like the gladiatorial games of ancient Rome, people still lust to see man pitted against man in savage one on one combat. But now, those same technologies that let people communicate on opposite sides of the world have increased the cheering hordes from thousands into millions. The same medicines that have bred hardier and more nutritious crops and livestock to feed those millions have created warriors of unprecedented strength and endurance. Welcome to the 'new' Rome!"

Okay, purple prose laced with hyperbole to be sure, but viewed from that angle, it does come across rather like dystopian sci-fi, doesn't it?

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:48 PM   #35
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant
 
Re: SyFy Channel

I think as far as wrestling goes, the typical Monster Truck fan watches wrestling to see the Rock hand CM Punk his posterior. The sci-fi wrestling fan (the science fiction fan who follows wrestling) is more likely to watch it for the storylines.
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:22 PM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: SyFy Channel

Plus, as much as we don't want to admit it, there's probably some overlap between the wrestling and scifi audience. Back when I used to lurk on the old DC Comics message boards, there were always some fans who thought that [INSERT FAMOUS WRESTLER HERE] ought to play Superman or Batman or Nightwing or whomever . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 07:47 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: SyFy Channel

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Exactly. I mean, I could do without the infomericals at 3 am in the morning, too, but I assume they make sense, economically.
I think it's OK to say it's a tired point(wrestling on Syfy) but I think it's probably losing focus trying to defend it such.

Or should we be happy with cutting episodes to shreds to make more time for commercials and so on?
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:08 PM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: SyFy Channel

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Exactly. I mean, I could do without the infomericals at 3 am in the morning, too, but I assume they make sense, economically.
I think it's OK to say it's a tired point(wrestling on Syfy) but I think it's probably losing focus trying to defend it such.

Or should we be happy with cutting episodes to shreds to make more time for commercials and so on?
Good point. I was mostly just longing aloud for the day when we can have a thread about the Syfy channel that doesn't instantly turn into "Wrestling? WTF? Grrrrr!"
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 11:26 PM   #39
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: SyFy Channel

Redfern wrote: View Post
"It's the 21st century. Though Humanity has made great strides in it's technological progress, its thirst for entertainment remains 'primal'. Much like the gladiatorial games of ancient Rome, people still lust to see man pitted against man in savage one on one combat. But now, those same technologies that let people communicate on opposite sides of the world have increased the cheering hordes from thousands into millions. The same medicines that have bred hardier and more nutritious crops and livestock to feed those millions have created warriors of unprecedented strength and endurance. Welcome to the 'new' Rome!"
Meta.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 08:55 PM   #40
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: SyFy Channel

I enjoy a lot of what SyFy make. Warehouse 13, Alphas, Eureka, Sanctuary, Being Human. The shows they import, Continuum, Almighty Johnsons. Sure there's nothing the quality of Farscape but there's still a lot of decent shows on Syfy.
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 08:56 PM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: SyFy Channel

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I enjoy a lot of what SyFy make. Warehouse 13, Alphas, Eureka, Sanctuary, Being Human. The shows they import, Continuum, Almighty Johnsons. Sure there's nothing the quality of Farscape but there's still a lot of decent shows on Syfy.
Almighty Johnsons?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:08 PM   #42
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: SyFy Channel

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I enjoy a lot of what SyFy make. Warehouse 13, Alphas, Eureka, Sanctuary, Being Human. The shows they import, Continuum, Almighty Johnsons. Sure there's nothing the quality of Farscape but there's still a lot of decent shows on Syfy.
Almighty Johnsons?
Oh, it's a Kiwi show that Syfy show in the UK, I think I read they're remaking it for the US. It's about the Johnson family who are the current incarnation of the Norse Gods who are living in New Zealand, the decedents of the original Norse immigrants. They have a prophecy to fulfill but other gods and goddesses aren't fond of them.

It's 2 seasons so far and apparently was cancelled but brought back for a third season after a fan campaign.
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:37 PM   #43
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: SyFy Channel

Ah, that hasn't hit Syfy here in the States yet . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:58 PM   #44
Bob The Skutter
Complete Arse Cleft
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Kernow
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: SyFy Channel

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ah, that hasn't hit Syfy here in the States yet . . . .
I think it would have to be edited to be shown there, so they're more likely to remake it I would think.
__________________
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
Terry Pratchett
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 02:07 AM   #45
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: SyFy Channel

SyFy canceled Alphas. Let the bitching continue.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.