Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 16 2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Dale Sams
Captain

Tacking Into the Wind

DAMAR: " What kind of state tolerates the murder of innocent women and children? What kind of people give those orders?"

KIRA: " Yeah Damar, what kind of people give those orders?"

Oh that HAD to have been written by...(looks it up)...yup. Ron Moore.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Re: Tacking Into the Wind

I've watched the episode several times lately, since I've been pigging out after buying Season 7 last week.

It really was a weak line and too much of an obvious setup.
Old January 16 2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Dale Sams
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
I've watched the episode several times lately, since I've been pigging out after buying Season 7 last week.

I was talking about the implied criticism of the USA. My theory based on Ron's treatment of BSG whereas 'our heroes' are often the terrorists. It's not a direct analogy, but it shows Ron isn't afraid to make a bold implication like that.

...of course, it's very possible I'm full of it. Maybe I can dig up an email (unlikely) and ask him.
Old January 16 2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Kevin W.
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.

But the episode came out in 1999, well before the shit hit the proverbial fan with regards to US foreign policy.
Old January 16 2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Dale Sams
Captain

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
But the episode came out in 1999, well before the shit hit the proverbial fan with regards to US foreign policy.
We've been bombing the crap out of civvies since Tripoli. But i agree there's a damn good chance Ron Moore would tell me..."Uhhh, no."
Old January 16 2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Kevin W.
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.

Well, yeah, that's true, but things didn't really start getting controversial until 2001-2003.
Old January 16 2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I was talking about the implied criticism of the USA. My theory based on Ron's treatment of BSG whereas 'our heroes' are often the terrorists. It's not a direct analogy, but it shows Ron isn't afraid to make a bold implication like that...
That's not clear from your initial post, and I've not seen Moore's BSG. I interpreted the scene as referring to any totalitarian regime, since the Cardassians seem to be stand-ins for Space Nazis.

edit: Maybe I should have used the term "authoritarian", but I didn't study political science.

Last edited by Melakon; January 16 2013 at 07:22 AM.
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 08:51 AM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post

Funny, other than Ezri's talking to Worf, I thought that line was the best line in the episode. Was it obvious, maybe, but it was true and too the point. Also considering the history of Bajor and Cardassia, it was almost a line that needed to be said in that context.
Old January 16 2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Melakon
Rear Admiral

I thought it was a very good line for Damar. But having Kira repeat it to drive home the point felt like a cliche and lazy writing to me. Surely Moore could have come up with a less obvious line for her. I think it would have been dramatically better for Damar to realize the answer himself as soon as he said it, without Kira's prompting. It could have been done with just a look at her.
Old January 16 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Tosk
Rear Admiral

That would defeat the purpose of the exchange. As Garak tells her a moment later, "Damar has a certain romanticism about the past. He could use a dose of cold water."

Damar needed the point shoved in his face. It's not something that would have occurred to him on his own.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Maybe I just haven't watched it enough. I missed a lot from the 6th & 7th season arcs when they first aired.
Old January 16 2013, 10:07 AM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I swear, seems like you can't watch any show these days without someone taking a few lines from it and drawing some parallel to suit their particular social or political agenda... can't we just take the shows at face value? If I wanted to watch social and political commentary I'd turn on a news channel. Shows like this are meant for entertainment, the news is just depressing to watch.

To this particular scene, I really thought the facial expressions on both Kira and Damar's faces said so much more than just those lines. You can almost just see the wheels turning in Damar's head on that one. He's about to snap back with some scalding come back and then just suddenly realizes... yeah I killed Ziyal for the same reasons the Founder killed my wife and kids and realizes he wasn't much different than the enemy he was fighting.
Old January 16 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
I swear, seems like you can't watch any show these days without someone taking a few lines from it and drawing some parallel to suit their particular social or political agenda... can't we just take the shows at face value? If I wanted to watch social and political commentary I'd turn on a news channel. Shows like this are meant for entertainment, the news is just depressing to watch.
Uh, no. Star Trek has always, since its first episode, been about taking contemporary social and political issues and transposing them into a science fiction setting in order to comment on them rationally without the hysterical reactionism discussing them in a contemporary setting would generate. That is a part of its very point and existence, alongside all that other stuff. You're welcome to take it at face value if you want, but that doesn't mean that layer isn't there. We're not imagining it.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Dale Sams
Captain

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Uh, no. Star Trek has always, since its first episode, been about taking contemporary social and political issues and transposing them into a science fiction setting in order to comment on them rationally without the hysterical reactionism discussing them in a contemporary setting would generate. That is a part of its very point and existence, alongside all that other stuff. You're welcome to take it at face value if you want, but that doesn't mean that layer isn't there. We're not imagining it.
Yeah, if it hadn't been Moore...I wouldn't have said anything.
Old January 16 2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Yeah, if it hadn't been Moore...I wouldn't have said anything.
But that's still not clear from your original post, which started this entire discussion. I'm sorry that I couldn't read your mind over the internet and know you were comparing it to Battlestar Galactica.