Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 16 2013, 05:08 AM   #31
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Recommend a good RPG?

TI3 is a great game, but it's sooo expensive, especially with the expansions. Also takes a lot of time and you need a pretty dedicated group. That said, it's probably my favorite board game even with the ridiculous complexity.
Old January 16 2013, 05:13 AM   #32
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
Of the suggestions, Tales of Vesperia and Blue Dragon looked to be the most up my alley. It's sad that there are so few really great traditional RPGs in this generation.
My impression is that JRPGs tend to live on the PS3 and the DS nowadays; I'm still (pleasantly) surprised that FF13/FF13-2 got 360 ports.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 05:34 AM   #33
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
Speaking of board games, has anybody here played/does play Twilight Imperium? Loove that game.
It's a near weekly experience for our group.
Hoorah! The Yin look like they're on their last legs, and the Hacan are kicking ass.... no surprise for such a small board, of course. And I'm glad to see the Creuss and Nestphar getting in on the action.
I like when I can get both of the Hacan Prosperity Spheres into action.
Old January 16 2013, 07:32 AM   #34
Dale Sams
Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I thought this was going to be about paper-and-pencil RPG.
Heh. Way way back in the day, I bought the original TOS paper and pencil RPG. For my two friends I designed a killer dungeon/encounter. They took Kirk and Spock and four security guards. This encounter had several 'random party member dies, roll who bites it' traps.

Sure enough at the end, it was just Kirk and Spock.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 01:18 PM   #35
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Heh. Way way back in the day, I bought the original TOS paper and pencil RPG.
The FASA game? Awesome. We still use a lot of their stuff in our game.
Old January 16 2013, 05:48 PM   #36
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

TI3 is a great game, but it's sooo expensive, especially with the expansions. Also takes a lot of time and you need a pretty dedicated group. That said, it's probably my favorite board game even with the ridiculous complexity.
Yeah, the expense would probably be my main issue - $90 for the main game and $60 or so for each expansion? FF does nice gaming stuff, but that's a tad pricey for me. I did lol at one of the comments I saw on Board Game Geek, that the huge TI3 main box is great for fishing tackle.

Cosmic Encounter is similar in some respects, and less expensive for the main game and the three expansions. There are nearly a hundred races to choose from, and each race has its own unique ability. There's also a color code to represent how advanced the abilities are, so that newer players won't get stuck trying to use a more complicated ability that requires familiarity with the engine to be effective.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:58 PM   #37
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Basically. Drew Karphyshyn didn't seem to quite get what the Exile's hole in the force was about, to be honest.
He's not alone in that regard. Hell, I don't think the writers of that game knew what it was about.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:35 PM   #38
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Of the suggestions, Tales of Vesperia and Blue Dragon looked to be the most up my alley. It's sad that there are so few really great traditional RPGs in this generation. Maybe I should bust out my PS2 and find some good classics.
There are great JRPGs this generation, but they moved to portables. Console gaming in Japan is somewhat dying while the DS, 3DS, and PSP are selling like crack, so those systems are getting all the great Japanese games.

But yeah, if you want some great console JRPGs you're going to have to pick up either a PS2 or SNES. The PS3 has a few decent games, but nothing compared to either of those systems.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 09:34 AM   #39
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

To the OP: Get your hands on a PS3 and pick up Valkyria Chronicles. While it's not a traditional RPG, it's still an excellent game.

I've also heard great things about the White Knight Chronicles series and the just-released Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, both of which are PS3 exclusives.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 12:06 PM   #40
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

JRPGs - buy a cheap Wii, and then get Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.
Old January 18 2013, 02:31 PM   #41
Ood Sigma
Commander

^ Thanks... I do have a Wii and have not played those games. So I will consider picking those up. I'm not inclined to pick up a PS3 just because of the cost and the fact that it's at the end of its life cycle.

I guess I was thinking due to the unique Wii controller that RPGs just aren't a good match for that system. Although I did download Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on Wii, so I guess I should have known that it can be done.

ETA: Couldn't find a US version of Pandora's Tower on Amazon.com... does this exist?

Last edited by Ood Sigma; January 18 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: research done
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 02:43 PM   #42
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Good question, I'd forgotten that Pandora's Tower might not be available over there yet. A shame if it's not, it's a decent game, although by far the best of those three is Xenoblade, so if you can get that, then you've got a cracking JRPG. To be honest, it's probably my favourite JRPG since the classic Final Fantasy games.

Edit: had a quick look and apparently Xseed games are supposed to be publishing Pandora's Tower in NA in the spring.
Old January 18 2013, 04:04 PM   #43
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Final Fantays 6 (3 in the US) and Chrono Trigger for SNES. There are no better RPGs.
Old January 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #44
Ood Sigma
Commander

^ Oh yeah, I love those two. I was just looking for some newer games that I may have overlooked.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 05:45 PM   #45
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

^ Thanks... I do have a Wii and have not played those games. So I will consider picking those up. I'm not inclined to pick up a PS3 just because of the cost and the fact that it's at the end of its life cycle.
I don't understand this logic. The successor to the PS3 hasn't even been announced yet. Sony only discontinued producing the PS2 this year. I think there are still even one or two more PS2 games yet to be released.

That's a console with a lifecycle of about 12 years.

The PS3's been out 6 years now. Sony anticipated a roughly 10-year lifecycle for it, so we're only about halfway through that. Yes, they will probably release another console in the next year or two, but games will continue to be produced for the PS3 for another year or two after that, plus you have the existing library to choose from.

Now, I don't know if there are (m)any good JRPGs for the console, but whether or not it's close to the end of its life makes no sense as a consideration if you don't care how old the suggested games are.

I get not wanting to spend a lot of money, but it's probably not that hard to get your hands on a used one, either, if you find a handful of games that compel you to want one.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote