Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 14 2013, 05:51 AM   #811
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

I think the Patriots can take everyone left.

That Seattle game was awesome. What a finish.

I wonder about the Atlanta/SF game. You know they're going to gameplan the shit out of Kaepernick. SF on the road.. I'm hoping this will be a good game. SF can certainly win this one.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old January 14 2013, 06:11 AM   #812
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I took a nap at 21-0 or whatever it was. Fuck.

Time to start focusing on Baltimore. The game in 2010 where it was 14-0 before I even got home with the pizza, the near end to the perfect season in 07, the Cundiff, and the crotch guzzling 4th quarter pukefest earlier this season do not have me feeling too great about this.

What happened to the fizzling out Ravens in December and who is this team that came back against Denver yesterday?

Nice job setting up an AFC title game in Foxborough, now please go back to playing like shit next week.
Old January 14 2013, 05:08 PM   #813
tighr
Commodore

I guess my hopes and dreams now rest on the shoulders of Baltimore. And if they don't get the job done, San Francisco.
Old January 15 2013, 04:26 AM   #814
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

tighr wrote: View Post
I guess my hopes and dreams now rest on the shoulders of Baltimore. And if they don't get the job done, San Francisco.
I wouldn't put much hope on the shoulders of Baltimore; Brady's going to destroy that secondary.

Word is that the Bears have identified Marc Trestman and Darrell Bevell as the finalists for their coaching job; both will have second-round interviews this week. I don't know much about Bevell, but Trestman would be an ... interesting choice. He's been out of the NFL since 2004, and when he was in the league, he bounced around like crazy, which suggests there may be some personality issues (and he finally decided the NFL was too much and went to Canada to get paid peanuts compared to NFL salaries). He has guided Montreal to a lot of successful runs, but because it's the CFL, it's hard to tell if he's a legitimately good head coach or if he's just benefited from a small league and some elite talent.

So, basically, praying for Marv Levy but fearful of getting Rod Rust.
Old January 15 2013, 06:43 AM   #815
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I don't like Bevell. Just a Favre lackey IMO. Maybe he's grown in the past couple of years.
Old January 15 2013, 07:05 AM   #816
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yoda wrote: View Post
I don't like Bevell. Just a Favre lackey IMO. Maybe he's grown in the past couple of years.
Yeah, Bevell kind of bothers me due to the Green Bay / Minnesota connections; I'd think there's a non-zero chance he retains Mike Tice as the offensive coordinator, which terrifies me, and if he brought Childress onto the staff (you never know), I'd probably have a coronary.

Trestman just kind of bothers me on a fundamental level. I really don't like the idea of a hire that says, "well, our offense has been inconsistent, so we're going to hire an offensive-minded coach who hasn't worked in the NFL in nine years." Gameplanning in the CFL is very different from the NFL, given the immense talent disparity.

Supposedly Bruce Arians is in the mix and canceled a second-round interview with the Eagles, so that's an interesting factor, too. In any event, it sounds like now that he's been told he's no longer part of the mix, Dave Toub is a lock to rejoin Andy Reid in Kansas City, which fucking sucks.
Old January 15 2013, 04:17 PM   #817
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Who was the Bears' special teams coach in the mid-90's? The one who had a trick play going about every 5 minutes.
Old January 15 2013, 04:43 PM   #818
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Timby wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
Yeah, Bevell kind of bothers me due to the Green Bay / Minnesota connections; I'd think there's a non-zero chance he retains Mike Tice as the offensive coordinator, which terrifies me, and if he brought Childress onto the staff (you never know), I'd probably have a coronary.

Trestman just kind of bothers me on a fundamental level. I really don't like the idea of a hire that says, "well, our offense has been inconsistent, so we're going to hire an offensive-minded coach who hasn't worked in the NFL in nine years." Gameplanning in the CFL is very different from the NFL, given the immense talent disparity.

Supposedly Bruce Arians is in the mix and canceled a second-round interview with the Eagles, so that's an interesting factor, too. In any event, it sounds like now that he's been told he's no longer part of the mix, Dave Toub is a lock to rejoin Andy Reid in Kansas City, which fucking sucks.
Mike Martz is still around...

*ducks*
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old January 15 2013, 07:45 PM   #819
Sheep
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post

*ducks*
Good going...you just made Timby spontaneously combust.
Old January 15 2013, 07:53 PM   #820
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Trestman has benefited from having one of the best and consistent CFL quarterbacks in Anthony Calvillo. There have been five other head coaches in Calvillo's time and they have always been near the top, so I think Trestman has benefited for having him at the helm then any kind of great coaching techniques.
Old January 15 2013, 08:34 PM   #821
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sheep wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post

*ducks*
Good going...you just made Timby spontaneously combust.
I wondered why fire started emerging from my ears all of a sudden.

Word out of Kansas City is that Clark Hunt and Joey Dorsey aren't interested in drafting a quarterback at #1 overall, in spite of how much Cassel blows ... which is actually a really smart move. The only thing worse than having no quarterback is blowing an overall first pick on one and still having no quarterback.
Old January 16 2013, 03:28 AM   #822
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

For the second year in a row, an AFC West team has poached one of Denver's coordinators... Mike McCoy (Offensive coordinator) is now the head coach of San Diego.

While it is still early, I'm excited by the fact that for the first time in 7 years, it looks like Denver might keep a defensive coordinator for more than one year.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 16 2013, 05:52 AM   #823
Davros
Fleet Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
While it is still early, I'm excited by the fact that for the first time in 7 years, it looks like Denver might keep a defensive coordinator for more than one year.
The way the D played on Saturday, I'm less optimistic about this being a good thing.
Old January 16 2013, 06:53 AM   #824
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

They had a one game meltdown after kicking ass all season long- I'm thrilled that Del Rio might be sticking around.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 16 2013, 11:38 AM   #825
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Sounds like it's Trestman. Bringing his brand of hard-nosed French Canadian football or whatever to the NFC North. I'd still prefer Bevell who I think will fail as an NFL head coach given the opportunity, as opposed to Trestman where it's just an assumption.