Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 15 2013, 07:14 PM   #16
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Recommend a good RPG?

Skywalker wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I thought this was going to be about paper-and-pencil RPG.
It's a dying art, alas.

My friends and I are currently rocking a Pathfinder game. It's the first time I've played a campaign in that setting, but I'm really enjoying it. I much prefer their expansion on the old D&D 3.5 system over D&D's current Fourth Edition.
I have a group that I play board games with semi-regularly. Usually things like Cataan, Small World, Last Night on Earth, Space Alert, Dominant Species, etc. Fun times.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 07:33 PM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral

It's a dying art, alas.

My friends and I are currently rocking a Pathfinder game. It's the first time I've played a campaign in that setting, but I'm really enjoying it. I much prefer their expansion on the old D&D 3.5 system over D&D's current Fourth Edition.
I'm doing the same! And I completely agree with your opinion. I really like what they did with the 3.5, tweaking here and there when needed but keeping it fully retro-compatible. We are doing a long campaign (and by "long", I mean we have been playing once a month for like 10 years), and translating the old characters from 3.5 into Pathfinder was a piece of cake.

We are also playing a homebrew Star Trek game, again for a very long time (and by "very long", I mean we have been playing weekly for about 15 years).

Yeah, we do like continuous stories.
Old January 15 2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

Has anyone else bought the Star Trek version of Cataan?

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

It's a dying art, alas.

I'm doing the same! And I completely agree with your opinion. I really like what they did with the 3.5, tweaking here and there when needed but keeping it fully retro-compatible. We are doing a long campaign (and by "long", I mean we have been playing once a month for like 10 years), and translating the old characters from 3.5 into Pathfinder was a piece of cake.

We are also playing a homebrew Star Trek game, again for a very long time (and by "very long", I mean we have been playing weekly for about 15 years).

Yeah, we do like continuous stories.
That's awesome. The group I'm with has been together since 2004, but we've never done just one long continuous campaign with the same characters, we've always just done shorter campaigns in a variety of settings.

Are all the characters in your Trek game really high ranking but still implausibly serving on the same ship together, like the TOS crew in the later movies?
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Unicron wrote: View Post
Has anyone else bought the Star Trek version of Cataan?
I saw it the other day and was considering it. How is it?
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 11:56 PM   #21
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I don't own the Star Trek: Cataan, but I've played it. It's wonderful.
Old January 16 2013, 12:46 AM   #22
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Are all the characters in your Trek game really high ranking but still implausibly serving on the same ship together, like the TOS crew in the later movies?
Not really. It's a big group (9 players as of now), and over the years some people left and new people joined: characters came and went, the officers got transferred to new ships as needed, so the cast is still within the normal rank range for an operative vessel.

We also lost a couple of ships in combat, surviving only by the skin of our teeth: that was quite a blow to our careers.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; January 16 2013 at 01:05 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 01:05 AM   #23
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So much so, that Drew Karpyshyn is now atop my list-of-enemies.
Oh don't get me started on what BioWare did with the Jedi Exile.
Wait, what did they do?

Speaking of board games, has anybody here played/does play Twilight Imperium? Loove that game.
Old January 16 2013, 01:06 AM   #24
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Kegg would know better than me, since I don't play regular Cataan and only bought the Trek one cause I like Trek. But I'd count that as a vote of confidence. For anyone who might be interested in a bit of humor, you should check out the Order of the Stick webcomic. I'm trying to catch up at the moment. It's funny when certain rules don't make sense all the time...

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Old January 16 2013, 03:36 AM   #25
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Me too.

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Speaking of board games, has anybody here played/does play Twilight Imperium? Loove that game.
It's a near weekly experience for our group.
Old January 16 2013, 04:09 AM   #26
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Wait, what did they do?
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:28 AM   #27
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
It's a near weekly experience for our group.
Hoorah! The Yin look like they're on their last legs, and the Hacan are kicking ass.... no surprise for such a small board, of course. And I'm glad to see the Creuss and Nestphar getting in on the action.

Wait, what did they do?
Bah, that sucks. Not as much the first part, but the second for sure, and makes the first even worse. Exile was a great character.
Old January 16 2013, 04:30 AM   #28
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Wait, what did they do?
Bah, that sucks. Not as much the first part, but the second for sure, and makes the first even worse. Exile was a great character.
My theory is probably more petty than the truth, but I kind of feel like that happened because the Exile wasn't really BioWare's character. I'm more of a Revan fan than an Exile fan anyway, but still...not cool.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 04:37 AM   #29
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I kind of feel like that happened because the Exile wasn't really BioWare's character. I'm more of a Revan fan than an Exile fan anyway, but still...not cool.
Basically. Drew Karphyshyn didn't seem to quite get what the Exile's hole in the force was about, to be honest. It is interesting that some of TOR's plot actually fits quite nicely with some of KOTOR2's hints and premonitions, though

Unicron wrote: View Post
Kegg would know better than me, since I don't play regular Cataan and only bought the Trek one cause I like Trek.
Actually no, I just happened to play the Trek once and it was my first experience with Cataan but it was a really fun one. For the record the theme of Star Trek: Cataan is the TOS movie era and players use Constitution class starships and the Starbase from TSFS. The raider role is filled by a K'tinga Klingon ship. It's very balanced - just complicated enough to have in-depth strategies and not too complicated as to completely lose the player on their first play.
Old January 16 2013, 04:43 AM   #30
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

I wonder if I'd like Twilight Imperium. I've seen it before, but I tend to be picky about what I buy. Anyone play the current edition of Cosmic Encounter? It's not exactly an RPG format per se, but it's a fun game.

Knight Exemplar