Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 15 2013, 08:16 PM   #61
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Anti-Spock racism/general disrespect for the XO

Well, I was born in the 80s but I am a visible minority myself. Wasn't raised very differently than most other folks where I grew up though, so I don't think there were vast cultural difficulties for me. I did put up with some racism in my teens though.

And I don't see anyone I work with reacting in those ways. Current folks are tougher than the old codgers ( )think we are.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 08:44 PM   #62
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
It is all just so sad,.. and it's the preamble, via social conditioning, to the eventual institution of the "Orwellian Thought Police"

Or, we're evolving to a more tolerant, understanding, and compassionate culture, and racists, sexists, and homophobes are going the way of the dinosaur.

Kinda like...you know...Star Trek.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 10:32 PM   #63
Captain Tracy
Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
Well, I was born in the 80s but I am a visible minority myself. Wasn't raised very differently than most other folks where I grew up though, so I don't think there were vast cultural difficulties for me. I did put up with some racism in my teens though.

And I don't see anyone I work with reacting in those ways. Current folks are tougher than the old codgers ( )think we are.
Oh, so then in-point-of fact, being born "in the 1980's", as you now reveal - which is pretty close to what I guessed, 1989 or thereabout, though you remained evasive in your response - means your schema was formed primarily with the 1990 social re-conditioning agenda via Media/School/Social, active and in place, hence the attitudes you embrace and reactions you have regarding the 1966 STAR TREK characters normative on-screen behavior.

Another thing to consider, is if you were raised in the USA from say 5 to 18 anytime during the 1990's, if so, it would make it even harder for you to do the cultural comparison of pre-1990 and post-1990 pro/con, having not lived through both in the socio/religo/politico cognitively-aware sense.

Here is a quick self-test to see where you are coming from:

During your "formative" youth, was there then, any currently produced TV shows airing AT THAT TIME - NOT RE-RUNS - where a WHITE MAN - who was NOT acting in his capacity as a Government official - who punched ANY other characters (not as comedy) on a regular basis?

The answer will determine what social-conditioning agenda your were exposed to through Media/Social/Education government indoctrination programs.

If you answer 'AL BUNDY', understand he is purposely set-up to portray white men who grew up on the old Media-fueled social conditioning program as buffoons and 'wrong',.. a 'negative reinforcement', to show young minds how "bad men" behave, think, and will FAIL in life,... and how YOU will meet the same fate if you behave like the "bad man" in the coming 'Socialized New Age of Globalization'.

Since TOS is so iconic, and wholly responsible for all the TREKS that followed, did you ever bother to ask yourself WHY there are no other captains who regularly PUNCH IT OUT, and say things like: THEY ARE __(race/culture other than us)____, and we KNOW what a __(race/culture other than us)____ is!!!!" - Errand of Mercy(?)

If you answer, "because man has 'advanced' past such brutal tactics',.. or,. well you see, the UFP and ____ are now 'friends', everyone is the same,.... you are not looking at what message 'Big Brother' is really televising.

Anyway,...

What puzzles me though is why you seem to be so hard on SPOCK, as with what you have revealed in the above post,.. I would think he would be the one character you "reach" more than any other.

Can you explain?

But BACK TO ON-TOPIC SPECIFIC,...

Oh and yes,.. YES, BOMA is totally out-of-line, a danger to his fellow crew members, and totally insubordinate (and possibly a racist too, as the hostility level and disdain for SPOCK and his Logic-driven culture, exuded by Don Marshall is potent!! - Are the Trek writers trying to show you something, not overtly spoken in the script?... Hmm,, could be )

Oh, and sorry you had to deal with Jerks growing up,.. just remember Jerks and Bullies come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, and sexual-orientations,... they are just at their worst when they abuse their position and numbers, just to give others a hard way to go,... in the end, its just their way to make themselves feel better about themselves,....pathetic,.. sorry to hear you had to experience that.
Old January 16 2013, 01:59 AM   #64
Warped9
Admiral

Not everything about the past was bad and not everything about the present is good either. Things change and evolve. Some things certainly get better and other things certainly get worse.

I was born in 1959 and I remember the 1960s and '70s and I don't remember a lot of it as being of the "dark ages." Yes, a lot has changed for the better since then, but some things are worse today. A lot of people are definitely oversensitive today to the point of ridiculousness. I can't stand watching or reading the daily news anymore for the all the bullshit some people get worked up about. I think the public displays of supposed shared community grief is mostly insincere and fake. Indeed grief isn't much private anymore and often seems to be measured by what level of display can be put on television. Personal tragedy and grief are often hyped as some sort of community or collective experience.

There have always been slackers in school so there's really nothing new in that. And there are some very intelligent young people with us today. Yet there are also a discouraging number of intellectually lazy and often even incurious youth today with no interest or remote curiosity in the histories or sciences (in terms of wanting to understand how things work) or politics. Those individuals are just ripe for getting exploited in years to come. What's even worse are those who flaunt their ignorance as some sort of badge of honour. Yes, there does indeed appear to be a disturbing trend of anti-intellectualism afoot on this continent (the U.S. and Canada).

In terms of racism I don't know if things are really that much better. From north of the 49th parallel it certainly looked like a whole swath of Americans were doggedly determined to unseat and/or frustrate a democratically elected president using every means and excuse they could think of simply because they couldn't stand the colour of his skin.

Last edited by Warped9; January 16 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 06:54 AM   #65
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I can't stand watching or reading the daily news anymore for the all the bullshit some people get worked up about.
In the city where I live, folks were upset over a pregnant 14 year old who was kidnapped by her boyfriend. You saying we shouldn't be upset by something like that?
Old January 16 2013, 07:37 AM   #66
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
. . . I am talking about people who are so hypersensitive and paranoid, that if someone sneezes - "A-CHOO" - in their conditioned state, will patently swear you called them a "A JEW" as a slur,.. or,.. ask the fellow next to you at the sink station in an employee bathroom - who is nearest the dispenser - if he wouldn't mind handing you a towel,.. and he runs out screaming to the HR dept, that you purposely singled him out in front of the other men, to make fun of his Arabic culture.
Old January 16 2013, 07:37 AM   #67
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

OK guys. Trek talk only. If you need to get more general or talk about modern society, there are other places on the BBS to do so. Thanks.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 12:17 PM   #68
Captain Tracy
Commander

ANWAR - My question to you regarding your expressed seemingly unsympathetic perception of MR. SPOCK in your earlier posts as it relates to RACISM/GENERAL DISRESPECT TOWARDS SPOCK remains unanswered by you.

I would like to understand your viewpoint on MR SPOCK; as I find it incongruous since having learned of your shared experience with the subject matter at hand; which is the key factor in the formation of your perception of MR SPOCK in this matter.
Old January 16 2013, 05:15 PM   #69
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Like I said, it's because he KNOWS humans really aren't that bad compared to his own people yet the way he talks he acts like they are.

When he tells McCoy that humans have a tendency to not care when millions of people die vs when individuals die (the "Immunity Syndrome" I think) was rather unnecessary and I don't get why he felt the need to take a swipe at him in that situation. And heck, the Ancient Vulcans probably slaughtered like that all the time and similarly didn't care.

And what about the Klingons and Romulans, they probably kill a lot more yet he never brings them up.

Honestly, he should know better than anyone on the ship that just because they act emotional NOW it doesn't mean they'll always be "barbaric" (because compared to the other aliens they meet, they aren't) and if the Vulcans (who were worse than humans) could get better than there's little point in dissing humans.

Last edited by Anwar; January 16 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 16 2013, 06:08 PM   #70
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post

Or, we're evolving to a more tolerant, understanding, and compassionate culture, and racists, sexists, and homophobes are going the way of the dinosaur.

Kinda like...you know...Star Trek.
Tip-toeing about on eggshells, making sure you properly identify a person's race before you address them, is hardly more tolerant or more understanding. It's just more self-congratulatory and superficial.
A buddy of mine is sick of being called "African-American" -- he points out that he's never been to Africa and wants to be simply considered American. For that matter, he's mighty sick of people assuming he must hold certain views because of the color of his skin. That said, he and I joke a lot about racial topics. He calls me a cheap Jew; I call him a lazy schwartze. We're buddies, comfortable joking that way for the very reason that we don't believe these things for a second.

Soledad O'Brien keeps doing specials on what it means to be black in America. Fuck me, I didn't even know she was black. Nor do I care.

Obama got a Nobel prize for being elected while half-black. Is that the kind of world you applaud?

As for homophobic, I don't give a rat's ass where people stick their genitalia. Not my business. That doesn't make me homophobic. Just possessed of good taste.
Old January 16 2013, 06:37 PM   #71
Anwar
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

Tip-toeing about on eggshells, making sure you properly identify a person's race before you address them, is hardly more tolerant or more understanding. It's just more self-congratulatory and superficial.
That doesn't really happen as much as the Old Codgers ( ) say it does. Maybe it's just an American thing.

That said, he and I joke a lot about racial topics. He calls me a cheap Jew; I call him a lazy schwartze. We're buddies, comfortable joking that way for the very reason that we don't believe these things for a second.
Would you say that stuff to someone you didn't know that well? A casual acquaintance?

Obama got a Nobel prize for being elected while half-black. Is that the kind of world you applaud?
Would you rather we go back to reading via candlelight, because Electricity was changing things too much? XD
Old January 16 2013, 07:31 PM   #72
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Recently we had this "Is TNG: Code of Honor racist?" thread, in which the basic reasoning was "the actors are all black, therefore it's racist". So replace white, pointed-eared Leonard Nimoy with a black actor, change NOTHING ELSE, and then review it again regarding racism. I guess some of you might come to entirely different conclusions.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 07:43 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

Yes. He was able to convince a majority of Americans that he was the best person for the job regardless of the color of his skin.

No small feat...
Old January 16 2013, 07:54 PM   #74
Dale Sams
Captain

Lockdown in 5...4..3..
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 09:03 PM   #75
Captain Tracy
Commander

ANWAR - Yes, I understood which scenes we were referencing, and how you view them; but thanks for trying to bring me some clarity, just the same.

The difficultly I am having is understand Why your personal experiences with racism are not reflected in your view of MR SPOCK in case where RACISM is directed toward him.

BEAKER FULL OF DEATH - It is interesting how the 1966 STAR TREK writers (clever are they) used the character of LOKAI (LTBYLB) to further show how those who outwardly and actively trumpet being members of an oppressed 'community' met a society which gave them freedom from that oppression in an environment - which as you say 'Did not give a rats ass' as to which end of their body received the big make-up tube.

If you will recall, LOKAI abused that freedom and violated the rights of the ENTERPRISE CREW by running about, aggressively trying to jam his personal agenda down the throats of any unsuspecting victim he could, even when his intended victims expressed they 'Did not want to know'; or in one scene, on those he was able to lure into a group setting, by promising a rewarding oral performance.

The STAR TREK writers adroitly used parallelisms to combat CENSORSHIP & TARGETED THREATS OF RETRIBUTION - being the working tools of those who abuse their position of authority to promote their personal agenda - designed purely to serve their own end - while simultaneously attempting to discourage any open and free exchange of ideas which may invoke critical reasoning among a people - as that open exchange of thought would surely cause the cracks of the 'Agenda Pushers' to be exposed, and reveal their corruption.

It is interesting how the symbolism & parallelisms contained in the 1966 STAR TREK stories remains topical and relevant today on issues of RACISM.

But,..perhaps we have missed the another message illustrated by LET THAT BE YOUR LAST BATTLEFIELD by the overt misdirection of the RACISM theme.

And perhaps that may explain MR SPOCK, and his apparent attitude toward LOKAI and his apparent issues,.. maybe he senses something more sinister is lurking under the covers in this story,... and at the bottom of it all.

In either case, regardless of his race, LOKAI is simply a badly behaved character, and a perfect reflection of those who trumpet their oppression to advance and meet another end.

By the way, is anyone else suffering from being "Punted Off-line" every 30 seconds or so, and having trouble posting?

I assume this is purely a technical reason.

Hmmmm,,...

Last edited by Captain Tracy; January 16 2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
Captain Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote