RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 558
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 13 2013, 11:57 PM   #1936
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I'm loving these interviews and the passion from Burnett and Lay. On the previous DVDs (shows and movies), the features just scratched the surface, but these docs let the fans in on what it was like to work on the show. I suppose what I appreciate the most is the HONESTY, honesty that Burnett seems to have a knack of getting out of his interviews. Big thumbs up.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 12:11 AM   #1937
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Glad you are enjoying them! Part 4 is up: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01142...rburnett4.html

And I just spoke to Roger Lay today, so watch out for his interview soon - he was totally awesome!
Old January 15 2013, 09:03 AM   #1938
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I'm almost done with Season 2, and I think I found a silver lining to this FX criticism. There really isn't much in season 2 that utilized special effects. It doesn't put HTV off the hook, but watching all the episodes up through Emissary, I can only think of a few episodes (Pen Pals being the best example) where special effects really mattered. I am looking forward to seeing Peek Performance since Davejames mentioned that episode looked good, at least the battle sequences with the Enterprise and Hathaway. Still, Season 2 doesn't have much in terms of visual effects, unlike Season 1 or 3. I'm really looking forward to the season 3 effects, like what we see in Evolution, Best of Both Worlds, and even the minor stuff like the asteroid belt in Booby Trap. Since it's being done by CBS Digital, I almost expect it to be the best set of the 7, in terms of visual effects stuff.
Old January 15 2013, 05:59 PM   #1939
davejames
Vice Admiral

True, there aren't really a lot of huge, effects-heavy episodes in the second season (except for Q Who, Time Squared, and Pen Pals, where I thought the effects actually looked pretty good).

But the inconsistencies of the Enterprise shots still annoyed the hell out of me after awhile. I could care less about the fuzzy planets, but when the Enterprise is a bright blue cut-out in space one minute, and dark grey with shadows everywhere the next, it can be really damn distracting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:31 PM   #1940
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Agreed about the Enterprise. That was probably the most blatant screw up of them all. You had a lot to go on as to how to do it, be it Season 1 or even just the title sequence and it looked really uneven. Looking forward to seeing the return of Season 1 Enterprise in Season 3 because it really did look beautiful and I missed that this season.
Old January 15 2013, 07:00 PM   #1941
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Glad you are enjoying them! Part 4 is up: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01142...rburnett4.html

And I just spoke to Roger Lay today, so watch out for his interview soon - he was totally awesome!
Your interviews are great. They should include them as VAM on future seasons!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 07:10 PM   #1942
Mott the barber
Commodore

We have the first part of a special interview with Robert Meyer Burnett who - along with Roger Lay - is responsible for the TNG Bonus features.

Some fascinating insights into the behind-the-scenes struggle to interview Diana Muldaur for Season 2 along with some cool teasers about things to come in future seasons:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092...rburnett1.html

Enjoy!

Excellent interview! Well done.
Old January 16 2013, 01:20 AM   #1943
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

It's a good idea that, if they can't afford commentaries for all the episodes then it's better to have a commentary on a bad episode over a good one so the writers can really go to town on what didn't work and also give us a reason to watch episodes we might skip over.

Sub Rosa, Genesis, Aqueil, I'm loking at YOU
Old January 16 2013, 08:53 AM   #1944
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Finished Season 2 tonight. Kind of glad I don't need to watch these episodes and the crappy uniforms for a while. Bring on Season 3, the normal uniforms, and TNG's probably best season (Even though I like Season 4 more). I'll probably be streamlining that in a week.
Old January 17 2013, 11:08 AM   #1945
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
I could care less about the fuzzy planets
Could you? Then why don't you?
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 07:50 PM   #1946
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Final part is up folks: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01172...rburnett7.html

Burnett's thoughts on a new Trek TV series, new TNG movie, why he'll always be such a crazy fan and Next Gen's Season 2 remastering.

Thanks for everyone's awesome comments - Rob was an absolute joy to talk to, and the feedback has been amazing
Old January 17 2013, 11:20 PM   #1947
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

Final part is up folks: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01172...rburnett7.html

Burnett's thoughts on a new Trek TV series, new TNG movie, why he'll always be such a crazy fan and Next Gen's Season 2 remastering.

Thanks for everyone's awesome comments - Rob was an absolute joy to talk to, and the feedback has been amazing
I really enjoyed the interview!! Nice work!!
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 04:44 AM   #1948
BrEnDoN
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I really like these interviews for the most part, but sometimes I do wish he'd stop talking about what he would have done were he in charge of the actual show/movie instead of just doing the VAM. Come on, we all know what we would have done if we were in charge, doesn't mean we're right or that we should have been. His 'as a director, I would've changed' routine is getting old...
BrEnDoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 07:49 AM   #1949
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the interview. I know that subsequent Blu-ray releases are in excellent hands. I'm very eager to see what they'll do in later seasons and DS9.

I take a little exception to his comments on the season 2 remastering, though I can understand why he would defend it - after all, his employers (CBS) made the decision to hire HTV. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

RMB clearly exhibits fine attention to detail and loving care in his VAM. Little things like using only season 2 music for season 2 bonus material stands out. However, a decent amount of work from HTV exhibited incompetence or laziness (bad model compositing, misaligned lighting passes, cropping, DNR).

Bonus material should complement the main feature. In season 2's case, the bonus materials seemed like the star of the show, in my opinion, because it was made at a higher standard.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 06:48 PM   #1950
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I noticed that as well. He had no problem picking apart every tiny little problem in the Abrams movie, but somehow the substandard fx work in season 2 barely bothered him at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote