RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,700
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 447
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 15 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
serenitytrek1
Commander

Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

I just thought i start a light hearted conversation. This topic has been in my mind for quite some time however I started to think about it more after some IMDB users began to point it out.

Most people argue that in the JJ Universe uhura is now the 3rd lead and Bones has been made into a secondary character.

The synopsis of the new film even states that our three heroes : Kirk, Spock and Uhura head out to capture the bad guy. (or something like that).

Some TOS purists are not happy that the Kirk-Bones-Spock trinity has been dismissed and replaced with Uhura.its not like they hate her character they just feel that it should always be the 3 male guys off on an adventure. some have even accusesed JJ Abrams of pushing a feminist agenda by leting Uhura take Bones part.

However others have dismissed this argument, Some argue that JJ is taking a modern approach to the franchise as things have changed since the 60’s in other words you need a female to go toe to toe with the males. Its the only way you can have a broad audience.

The biggest franchises of the last 15 years such as harry potter, star wars, pirates of the carribean and even the new hunger games series have all had a mixed gender in the leading roles such as,

anakin, obiwan padme
harry,ron,hermoine
katniss,gale,peeta,
Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth swan, Will Turner
Neo, Trinity and Moepheus.

So...What do you guys think? are you comfortable that uhura replaced Bones as one of the big three or do you prefer the TOS universe where it was male dominated with kirk/spock/bones.

I personally have mixed feeling about this topic as I am some where in the middle.however I do prefer 2 males and 1 female as leading trio (I guess it is my love for the Harry Potter series talking) so kirk-uhura-spock works fine for me. however I want the female to do more and not just be a cute love intrest to one of the males like the awful Twiight series or the Transformer series.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; January 15 2013 at 06:08 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

i wouldn't mind but mccoy is my favorite character. why cant there be 4 big heroes? screens wide enough.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:48 PM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

I really don't see any issue here at all. If anything, it's good that Uhura is finally getting her moment. Hell, for the first 42 years of the franchise she didn't have a first name and the only thing memorable she did was force a guy into a closet at gun point.

Giving her a more significant role is one of the few things Abrams is doing correct since he's finally developing an underdeveloped character and he's actually doing something unique with his Star Trek.

Yeah, we all love Bones and Karl Urban is great in the role, but so what if these movies have a different dynamic than TOS and its movies? Isn't the opportunity to do something different the reason to do a reboot?

Oh, sorry, forgot this is the forum that wants the the movie to be a remake of Space Seed/TWOK with Gary Mitchell somehow mixed in.
Old January 15 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Slightly related, I feel that the Abrams Kirk-Spock Bromance will never be organic (Seeing how they started off as two alpha males*)...so they may as well go off in a different direction.

*Yes, I know it's workable, but they only have some 6-8 hours of screentime left to pull it off. I don't even feel the Kirk-Spock relationship is required at this point. We've been there. It is possible to make good TOS Trek without it.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

Most people argue that in the JJ Universe uhura is now the 3rd lead and Bones has been made into a secondary character.
No, most people don't argue that.
Old January 15 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
serenitytrek1
Commander

Garak wrote: View Post
No, most people don't argue that.

I honestly think they do,in fact this argument started when the dvd of the 09 film was released there was mild complains about zoe been on the front of the dvd instead of karl urban.

the dvd cover had quinto, pine and zoe.(the new big three)

then ofcoures the trailer for the second film. So far we have only seen spock,uhura and kirk in civilian clothing.

we know kirk looses his captaincy so he goes on a deadly adventures to capture john harrsion with spock and uhura at his side .

My point is, In TOS it will have been Bones instead of uhura.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; January 15 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old January 15 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Skywalker
Admiral

There's not much point in setting the stories in an alternate universe if you're going to do everything the same way.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
serenitytrek1
Commander

Skywalker wrote: View Post
There's not much point in setting the stories in an alternate universe if you're going to do everything the same way.

you hit the nail on the head on this one my dear skywalker.this is one of the reasons why I hope NU-Spock doesnt die in this film because if he dies than the next film will be very similar to the search for spock and that will mean JJ universe will be nothing but a rehash of the TOS films.
Old January 15 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Of course it makes sense that Uhura is more central to the new movies - Saldana is deservedly a hot property these days and it makes the whole thing less of a sausagefest. It introduces something new to the dynamic - "Bones" is a pretty static character; he changed least among the three central characters over the decades.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
USS Einstein
Lieutenant Commander

It is a little off how Uhura gets more time than Bones.
USS Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:52 PM   #11
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

You know, I never thought of it this way, but it may be...nowadays, in scifi/fantasy flicks, they tend to include an action girl even if the original version of the source material didn't have one.

Best example is Peter Jackon's adaptation of Tolkien's novels. Not that LotR or The Hobbit needed action girls as books, but modern audiences apparently do. It's not a bad thing if done well (they even made one up for The Hobbit).

JJ Abrams did a really good job with having Uhura take a level in badass, so even though I love Urban's McCoy to bits, I approve of the change - if we're not imagining this change of the big three, that is.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:53 PM   #12
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

McCoy is probably my favorite Star Trek character but I agree that it makes sense to have Uhura as a major character, it creates an interesting character dynamic, plus I think Saldana is an outstanding actress.
Old January 15 2013, 06:54 PM   #13
lurok
Commodore

I'm sure we'll see a lot more of Urban's McCoy in new one.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 07:08 PM   #14
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I sure hope so. He's great!
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Borgminister

Dammit I'm a doctor, not a movie star!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote