Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 15 2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Servo
Rear Admiral

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt2 *SPOILERS*

Yep, it's available early if you know where to look. I already know I'm buying the Blu-Ray at the end of the month, so I figured why bother waiting?

I thought part one was excellent. The animation was beautifully reminiscent of the original book, the voice acting was spot on, there isn't a single downside to that movie, so there's no surprise that part two continues in exactly the same vein.

Emerson is pitch perfect as the Joker. I'd been looking forward to hearing him in full on Joker mode, and he does not disappoint at all. He captures every nuance of the character perfectly, from eerie psychotic calm, to full on maniacal rage. Perfect casting for this version of the clown prince of crime.

The climactic battle between Batman and the boy scout is brilliantly realised, and quite brutal, as you'd expect from the tone of the story.

No real need to go into major plot points; we all know the story, and those who don't are in for one hell of a ride. Just know that if you enjoyed part one, you're gonna love part two.

My copy also had a sneak peek at Superman Unbound at the end, which I for one can not wait for.
Old January 15 2013, 02:06 AM   #2
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Pt2 *SPOILERS*

Like the first part, I thought it had it's moments. But much like with the Watchmen movie, it felt to me like something got a bit lost in the translation. They played things way too straight, and much of the dark and subversive 80s satire of the comic just didn't come through very well (especially when it came to the Reagan and USSR stuff). It all just seemed very odd and bizarre. And plus it was long and bloated as hell.

Although I admit the showdown between Batman and Joker was pretty good.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Servo
Rear Admiral

Didn't feel long and bloated to me. I wasn't bored or clockwatching at any point. The film had me from start to finish.
Old January 15 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Can't really agree on the Emerson love. To me he sounded too well-behaved, too restrained. He made me miss Mark Hamill.

Apart from that, the movie is great, though.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 11:09 PM   #5
the G-man
Commodore

Servo wrote: View Post
Didn't feel long and bloated to me. I wasn't bored or clockwatching at any point. The film had me from start to finish.
I haven't seen part 2 but, as far as Part 1, yes. I'd put it up there just behind Phantasm and Nolan's TDK as far as Batman adaptations go.
the G-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Captain Qwert Jr
Captain

Let's see how people react to Nazi-Boobs! Political correctness was still about 2 years away when this was printed.

Didn't feel long and bloated to me.
I suppose that was my main problem with it. The pacing was way, way too quick. Like the first part, it wisely does not try to slavishly mimic the comic. What works so well in the comic, often comes out terribly in the other mediums. And yet...

Many sections of the Book were soliloquies (with panels) by the characters. I can see why some should not have been included, due to the artistic differences of the medium, or overall direction. Superman's post-nuke thoughts probably would not come out well on screen. Overwrougt or corny. But others...You may as well have not included Alfred at all if you weren't going to include the 'purloined letter' sequence. I suppose no narration is less awkward than occasional narration on screen. I wish the director could have found a solution to that.

OTOH, I did think there were some Nice little things that invoke the book's spirit, without compromising the show's integrity. The additions to the end, for example, such as Gordon's exchange with Superman (I think that's new), and Olly leading the bat-boys.

I saw it OnDemand, so it was no frills. Cant judge any extras the DVD may have. The end credits were too wide for the screen for some reason.
Captain Qwert Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I already know I'm buying the Blu-Ray at the end of the month, so I figured why bother waiting?.
Me too.

I thought the whole thing was fantastic. It's the best Bat-thing I've seen on screen since TAS, easily trumping any of Nolan's efforts.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
the G-man
Commodore

Let's see how people react to Nazi-Boobs! Political correctness was still about 2 years away when this was printed.
Not on college campuses, as I recall. It was already alive and well.
Old January 30 2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Dream
Admiral

Anyone know if any stores are selling both Parts 1+2 packaged together?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 03:57 AM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

That was much better than Part One, but of course the material is much better. I do feel the presentation REALLY suffered from the lack of narration in this one, though. Particularly when Superman is hit by the nuke and is dying and he's praying to Mother Earth to heal him, that rang completely false without the narration.

But Batman beating the shit out of Superman was totally awesome

Much as I love Michael Emerson, I didn't like his Joker portrayal. But the end of the Joker was great. I didn't remember him shooting all those innocents like that though, that was really brutal.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:10 AM   #11
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I saw Part I yesterday and agree about the lack of narration. To me, the moments I remember from the graphic novel are the narration.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:47 AM   #12
Mr Light
Admiral

So is it just me or would this movie have sold twice as well if they put Batman punching Superman on the cover rather than that incredibly generic picture of Bats?

Also, they should have called it Dark Knight Returns Part Two: Batman vs Superman!

I'm partly joking, but I'm sure that would have increased sales. I'm sure non-comics readers aren't gonna know this movie has the most bad ass Batman vs Superman fight ever.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:07 AM   #13
JD
Admiral

The covers for these are rather bland. What you mentioned would have definitely been more interesting.
Old February 10 2013, 02:22 AM   #14
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Like the first part, I thought it had it's moments. But much like with the Watchmen movie, it felt to me like something got a bit lost in the translation. They played things way too straight, and much of the dark and subversive 80s satire of the comic just didn't come through very well (especially when it came to the Reagan and USSR stuff). It all just seemed very odd and bizarre. And plus it was long and bloated as hell.

Although I admit the showdown between Batman and Joker was pretty good.
RT, a lot of the stuff doesn't translate well.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 04:01 AM   #15
the G-man
Commodore

I'm watching part 2 right now and loving it so far