The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 11 2013, 04:32 PM   #1741
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I read Thunderbolts 1&2, sorely dissapointed. I wanted to give it some chance cause I like Frank, Ross and Elektra but Way is like going to watch a Uwe Boll film. Not going to be great most likely and it's first two issues bore that out I thought.

The CBR boards are not high on it either. Even those who admit it's poor confess they are going to finish the first arc out of character loyalty to one or two featured characters. The overuse of red seems a big issue also.

If you're not reading War Zone I'd suggest it highly. Nightmare is 50/50 right now after two issues.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:37 PM   #1742
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Normally I would agree about Daniel Way...not fond of his previous work at all, but this is probably the best that I've read. I like the line up and concept as well. I don't mind the Steve Dillon art work either, it fits the tone of the book and compliments the writing style that Way is going for. I haven't been bored yet and I was expecting not to like this at all. I do understand though why others dislike like or are bored by it, but I don't find that it is myself at all. Especially the last issue which was great and hilarious at the end! (well mostly because of Wade

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:29 PM   #1743
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

This week for Marvel
FF #3 Good storyline with Reed hiding things from the family. Not original in any way but good. No payoff to the Johnny chair prank in this issue and Ben can survive reentry? ummmmm bad.
Secret Avengers #36, This cant end fast enough.
Superior Spiderman #1 Meh. Otto's, I am going to be Spiderman and oh yeah kill people and run away. Not very good and it should have been done a little more slowly than in the first issue.
Thor #4 Really enjoy this book with the related 3 stories in different times. I am 50/50 on the art for this book as I normally prefer more detail but it fits the story.
Thunderbolts #3 And I am out. This book is just flat. Dull, dull dull.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:06 PM   #1744
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Who did Otto kill in Superior Spider-Man #1? He maimed people, but I don't recall him killing anyone. IIRC, he also saved a cop from the Six. He ran away because he was overwhelmed and wasn't used to that sheer physicality. Remember he's learning to be a hero and that also means understanding what they go through. He's seeing the other side for the first time and still fighting his own natural instincts as Otto Octavius, while learning to be Peter Parker at the same time.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 13 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old January 13 2013, 09:41 PM   #1745
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^I don't recall him killing anyone. He was about to kill Boomerang but Peter stopped him.
Old January 13 2013, 09:59 PM   #1746
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I really like the way Doctor Spiderpus is written in the preview for Avenging Spider-Man 16. I wish he was written more like that in the core book.
Old January 14 2013, 04:23 PM   #1747
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Looks like Brian Wood and Olivier Copiel's all female X-Men book has been revealed. I love the roster and the creative team, so I'll be checking this out for sure.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...-called-x-men/

Actually announcement and interview with Wood.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...eries/1830971/

Old January 14 2013, 04:33 PM   #1748
Mike Farley
Commodore

I love the character, but is Kitty Pryde the new Wolverine? She's featured in Woverine and the X-Men, All New X-Men, and now X-Men. So far.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:39 PM   #1749
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's because she is the co-headmaster/headmistress of the Jean Grey School of Higher Learning. She has an important role in the mutant community now. It only makes sense she would appear in multiple books. Appearing in three books hardly makes her Wolverine anyway He's like in what? Five or six

Old January 14 2013, 05:18 PM   #1750
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Hope Brian Wood's X-Men is better than his Conan.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:32 PM   #1751
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

He has helped Ultimate Comics X-Men tremendously since taking over.

Old January 15 2013, 09:35 AM   #1752
JRS
Fleet Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Looks like Brian Wood and Olivier Copiel's all female X-Men book has been revealed. I love the roster and the creative team, so I'll be checking this out for sure.
This has peaked my curiosity also, even though I am not a Marvel reader. I will certainly buy the first issue to see how this will be.

Been thinking of getting back to Marvel again( the same last year my interest somehow dried out). The time seems pretty good for it now and it would not make my shopping really that much more expensive(if I order two or three new comics, that is).
But I am still unsure what titles to try out
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 09:55 AM   #1753
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

JRS wrote: View Post
Been thinking of getting back to Marvel again( the same last year my interest somehow dried out). The time seems pretty good for it now and it would not make my shopping really that much more expensive(if I order two or three new comics, that is).
But I am still unsure what titles to try out
Hawkeye and Daredevil have been fantastic. I'm really enjoying All-New X-Men, and although it's not my cup of tea, Wolverine and the X-Men is generally very well liked.

The new volumes of Avengers and New Avengers have both started a little slow IMHO, but writer Jonathon Hickman always plays a long game with his books, and I would recommend getting on the train early as the stories in both are sure to pick up speed.

Amazing Spider-Man was generally always a good bet but ASM doesn't exist anymore (for now, anyway). The current Spidey book, Superior Spider-Man, is a different animal, even though it's the same writer. I would suggest researching Spider-Man's current status quo before commiting to buying, but I would bet that SSM will be a fun ride.
Old January 16 2013, 01:00 AM   #1754
JD
Admiral

I've been following what's been going on with Peter/Ock, so I'm ready to jump into SSM. I've heard enough to be very intrigued by where they are going with the whole.
Just out of curiosity, have they explained how Beast pulling the original X-Men out of the past hasn't totally screwed up the timeline?
Old January 16 2013, 01:22 AM   #1755
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Bendis has said that there will be reprecussions from Beast's actions. As it stands now, the O5 only plan to stay long enough to "fix things", and then happily return home with a mind-wipe.