RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 600
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 14 2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: most "wrong" episode...

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

But aren't they technically dead when Tuvix materializes on the transporter pad?
In Trek terms? Probably not.
That's likely good news then for Commander Sonak and Admiral Ciana!
Not sure you can come back from being blobs.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 07:19 PM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Code of Honor.... when you can summarize the plot with white woman kidnapped on planet of black people, something went wrong in the creative process.
Old January 14 2013, 07:23 PM   #18
The Wormhole
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Code of Honor.... when you can summarize the plot with white woman kidnapped on planet of black people, something went wrong in the creative process.
Most of the TNG cast are embarassed by that one. I think the only attempt at rationalizing to come from any of the writers is "things did not turn out exactly as intended."
Old January 14 2013, 10:03 PM   #19
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Disagree, with all the "white people" planets that we've seen through the years, there should have been more "not-white people planets" and not none at all.

And your summary was incorect, Yar wasn't kidnapped because she was white, she was taken because she had just put on a martial arts demonstration. Her skin color was irrelevant.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 02:59 AM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Disagree, with all the "white people" planets that we've seen through the years, there should have been more "not-white people planets" and not none at all.

And your summary was incorect, Yar wasn't kidnapped because she was white, she was taken because she had just put on a martial arts demonstration. Her skin color was irrelevant.
You're right, it's nice to see a planet where the population wasn't just a bunch of white guys. Just wish it was handled a lot better than that.

Let's face it, the people in that episode were basically a collection of offensive Afircan stereotypes. The only thing that really saves that episode is that it's so awful it's kind of good.
Old January 15 2013, 03:10 AM   #21
sonak
Vice Admiral

Also have to go with "Dear Doctor." A truly repellent episode that uses racist pseudoscience to justify passive genocide. That's the episode that needs to be stricken from canon.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 03:33 AM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
That's the episode that needs to be stricken from canon.
That's a bit harsh isn't it? Questionable morality aside, Dear Doctor is probably one of the better episodes from Enterprise's first season. Of course, that's not really saying anything, is it?
Old January 15 2013, 06:32 AM   #23
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

sonak wrote: View Post
Also have to go with "Dear Doctor." A truly repellent episode that uses racist pseudoscience to justify passive genocide. That's the episode that needs to be stricken from canon.
Several people have mentioned this episode but sorry I have the worst memory for titles. What was that one about?
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:32 AM   #24
mos6507
Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
They *did* just invade Romulan space and STEAL something didn't they? And destroy the career (if she and possibly others wern't executed) of an innocent woman, right?"
The sentiment in the cold-war (and certainly the concept of the neutral zone was a cold-war one) was that dueling espionage was far preferable to full-out conflict, which it was, otherwise we'd be glowing by now from nuclear fallout.
Old January 15 2013, 06:35 AM   #25
mos6507
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Not sure you can come back from being blobs.
Why come back? They probably had the most memorable death you could ask for from minor characters. Mission accomplished.
Old January 15 2013, 06:38 AM   #26
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A lot of interesting responses for episodes I had mercifully forgotten; I suppose I asked for it! I still think abandoning their own children just to cover for their personal discomfort over the situation must rank pretty high on the personal wrongness scale! Another one that particularly bothered me was an Enterprise episode in which the Dr's blob of something or other was cloned into a short lived copy of the engineer.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:49 AM   #27
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I can think of anything specific that hasn't already been mentioned, but one thing I usually don't care for is when Trek tries to tackle the metaphysical. For whatever reason, it's always a struggle.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Most of the TNG cast are embarassed by that one.
I think it's safe to say all of Trekdom is embarrassed by that one. I know there are a few who may disagree, but I'm pretty certain most Trekkies consider it the single worst episode of the franchise.

magarity wrote: View Post
Several people have mentioned this episode but sorry I have the worst memory for titles. What was that one about?
Good question. The only time I ever saw it was when it premiered. I don't remember anything about it, other than I seem to think favorably about it. Of course, it's possible that was due solely to Billingsley performance and not the content.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 06:55 AM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post

You're right the Aryan planets like the Edo weren't much better at all. It was nice to see something different, but it was horridly executed.

And sure the plot was slightly more complicated than that, but it's the general impression the episode gives. Especially with the stereotypical way they behaved that episode.
Old January 15 2013, 12:50 PM   #29
Use of Time
Commodore

Up the Long Ladder from TNG was a little iffy. Vaporizing clones and what not.
Old January 15 2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Since we're talking ethically wrong, DS9 takes all the top places, be it all the episodes that very strongly imply that you have to appeal to a stronger power for literal salvation (Sacrifice of Angels comes to mind) or deliberately shady episodes like In the Pale Moonlight.

In the Pale Moonlight is a very good episode, but its ethics are wrong on more than the "means justify the ends" angle they went with: said "ends" aren't so noble to begin with.
I mean, sure, as viewers, we can agree that Romulan involvement in the war was in everyone's interests and Sisko is clearly convinced of it as well... but if you examine it critically, is it so obvious? And even if it is, who's Sisko to forego the Romulan right to self-determination?
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote