RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,730
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 887
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 14 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Minced oaths

I was watching "The Dogs of War" and the Closed Captioning surprised me a bit. When Quark is talking to Zek over a bad supspace connection, Zek says:

What surprised me is the writers use a word the dictionary defines as vulgar slang.

Not sure why this image is overflowing into ad space. It's less than 640x480, which I thought were maximum limits.
Old January 14 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Minced oaths

While frigging is considered a vulgar term, it's way way down at the bottom end of the scale. Usually a cleaner replacement for more objectionable words.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Yeah, i guess that's it. Part of my reaction may be from remembering the days when George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can't Say On Television" was 100% true.
Old January 15 2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

In the original script, the word "frigging" is in parentheses, indicating that it was meant to be obscured by static and inaudible to the viewer. Whoever wrote the closed captioning missed that and ruined the effect.

In-universe, we could imagine that perhaps Zek really said "frinxing." In the book Legends of the Ferengi by Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe, it's established that a Ferengi named Frinx manufactured the first automatic waste extractor (i.e. toilet), so his name became synonymous with, err, the use of that amenity. Following this lead, a number of the novels have used "frinx" as a Ferengi curse word.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Thanks for that script link, Christopher. And I see I didn't think twice about Zek saying that greedy (bastard) in the same speech, which was also captioned.
Old January 15 2013, 01:53 AM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

Frigging is to Fuck as Crap is to Shit. Pretty harmless. They've said far worse.
Old January 15 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but usually not on televised Star Trek, especially in those days. Wall to wall cussing didn't really start until ST: Enterprise.

edit: It doesn't offend me, I'm simply surprised in terms of broadcast standards. I suspect the writers put the scene together gleefully imagining Wallace Shawn's delivery, who is hilarious in comedy.
Old January 15 2013, 04:13 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Melakon wrote: View Post
edit: It doesn't offend me, I'm simply surprised in terms of broadcast standards.
Like I said, it wasn't actually audible onscreen. But it's not like it's actually a curse word; it's a euphemism. It's a nonsense word that sounds similar to a curse word -- something you can say on TV as a substitute for the word you can't say.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Of course, back in the days when producer Norman Lear was a comedy show impressario, one of Bea Arthur's Maude episodes ended with her embracing her on-screen husband, and chiding "Walter, Walter, Walter... You son of a bitch." Which was pretty shocking for a 1970s network show.