Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 12 2013, 02:08 AM   #31
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Why wasn't Naomi more socially maladjusted?

^ Perfect example of how "perceptive" Icheb is.
Old January 12 2013, 02:19 AM   #32
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Yes Icheb is lacking in interpersonal skills and perceptivity but not dramatically more so than other teenage boys. Considering his history I think he's doing pretty good. Naomi is going to be primarily looking for an intellectual equal and will probably find Icheb's oblviousness to her own social oddities a relief.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 03:18 AM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Are nano probes sexually transmissible?

OF COURSE THE ARE!

"I don't care if you love him, you can't make love to him, so don't bother."

"But Chakotay and Seven of Nine!"

"He's already infected. The Doctor had a talk with every woman on the ship to avoid his weiner. Ditto for Neelix... And Tuvok."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 03:29 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

But Naomi wants to be infected with nanoprobes. She's like those people who have tons of bareback sex trying to get AIDS. Only in her case it's not going to kill or debilitate her, just make her very cool.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2013, 03:40 AM   #35
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Maybe this is all the Borg's new plan. Let the occasional drone get severed from the collective. They spread nanoprobes through the population over time, then zap!
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:52 AM   #36
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Borg poo-pooed single cell insemination.

Too much effort for not enough result.

What should happen is that Seven should be compelled to buy a bikini, then visit several beaches and public swimming pools wearing those two thin strips of barelycoveranythings while farting nanoprobes everywhere submersibly... And Starfleet Intelegence will never suspect her, because it's a scientific fact that pretty girls don't fart.

Old January 12 2013, 04:58 AM   #37
teacake
Fleet Admiral

This is like a trekkie's version of LSD in the water system.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 13 2013, 01:15 AM   #38
Merlanthe
Commander

I always thought that Naomi and Icheb would be a perfect cute little couple someday in the future.
Old January 15 2013, 12:28 AM   #39
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

teacake wrote: View Post
I wish I had her childhood.

NO SCHOOL. No little shits tormenting me.. interesting adults who went out of their way to interact with me to make my childhood a positive experience. Important impressive people like the Captain full of good will about my development. ADVENTURE. Never having to go shopping. Lots of books and holoprograms and the best windows ever in any childhood to look out of.
The only problem with those windows is that it's lethal to go outside without a space suit. I grew up on an acreage, with no other kids around. So while I did have problems interacting with other kids (terminally shy), at least I had the outdoors. Naomi didn't have that unless she got to have shore leave with the rest of the crew (the holodeck just isn't the same).

lurok wrote: View Post
I'd still love to have seen a future Naomi more akin to the future Scarlett If only VOY had continued a few more series we might have got Wildman: The Goth Years.
So write it. This forum has a place for fanfic.

R. Star wrote: View Post
You don't think Icheb is her type? I do.
I dunno, Naomi seems quite quirky and outgoing. Icheb really seems closed in and completely lacking in a sense of humor.

Always figured Icheb would be a good fit for the "my height is insufficient" girl.. what was her name? Azati? Something like that.
Mezoti.

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
I always thought that Naomi and Icheb would be a perfect cute little couple someday in the future.
Icheb is exactly Naomi's type. He's smart, considerate, willing to either teach her or play with her, as the mood strikes, and part-Borg. Since Seven became one of her teachers, she seemed to have a knack for getting along with ex-Borg, and there are some rather good Naomi/Icheb stories in the Voyager section of fanfiction.net.

Besides... before the Borg kids came along, I suspect she was given a few age-appropriate "social lessons" on the holodeck in how to get along with people her own age, while managing to teach her that the holodeck is no substitute for real life (how many RL kids in our world would happily live in the holodeck instead of reality?).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:22 AM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Do they sleep train people (Uhura's rapid re-education after being mindwiped) with learning drugs... If they use learning drugs, it might be impossible to formally educate children to any meaningful level if "drugs" don't have a completely positive effect on a developing brain... Does Naomi have a PADD that just forces classes down her throat and she's in charge of her on education? Or does she monopolize an entire holodeck for 6 to nine hours a dayinterrupting the jizz soaked orgies that happen in the same space before and after some holoteacher tells her why not to trust Romulans?

You can't tell me that some one doesn't borrow a modified version of that program to live out his "who's been a naughty boy" fantasies?

The Borg kids just upload text books into their brains and understand everything perfectly.

Naomi can't compete on an level playing field, if she's just supposed to remember stuff that she reads.

Although, when 10 year old Scarlet first took up the role, Naomi was 3. All she was supposed to be doing in kindergarten was learning colours.

Old January 15 2013, 01:28 AM   #41
Timewalker

I read that as a half-Ktarian, Naomi aged faster than a human child would.

Old January 15 2013, 01:52 AM   #42
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yes , that's self evident from the casting.

Kes also aged slightly faster than humans too.

The point was supposed to be: what's a Kitarian primary School like?

At the age of 3, was she as educated as a ten year old human?

Was she smarter than a human 10 year old to pack all that in so quickly or was the curriculum just fricking intense?

Old January 15 2013, 03:50 AM   #43
Timewalker

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Yes , that's self evident from the casting.

Kes also aged slightly faster than humans too.

The point was supposed to be: what's a Kitarian primary School like?

At the age of 3, was she as educated as a ten year old human?

Was she smarter than a human 10 year old to pack all that in so quickly or was the curriculum just fricking intense?
Obviously we don't know what a Ktarian school was like, since we never saw one.

If Naomi needed some particular setting or resource for her education, I'm sure Samantha was able to either program it into the holodeck, or ask Janeway to help her figure out how to get it. We do know that several of the officers taught Naomi things - Tom taught her piloting, the Doctor taught her medical stuff (and probably age-appropriate "social lessons"), Seven taught her science and math (as no doubt Janeway did too, as time allowed) as well as music, Chakotay would have taught her anthropology and history, and so on. As for the rest, just consider that Naomi was taking correspondence courses, except the only people qualified and available to evaluate her progress were on the ship.

And I would hope that in the future, there would be greater knowledge and application of how to learn. We don't have enough of that these days. It takes more than picking up a book, sitting in front of a blackboard with a teacher, or taking an apprenticeship (although the latter is an excellent way to learn. Naomi had all kinds of educational resources and not a lot in the way of meaningless time-wasting activities available. I'm sure she would have a lot of adjustments to make to life on a planet, period, never mind life in the Federation. But since she pretty much took it for granted that she wanted to be a Starfleet officer, I'm assuming that if the series had shown her teenage years, she would have ended up in the Academy.

Old January 15 2013, 03:52 AM   #44
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The plot wanted a smart kid on the ship and a little detail like age doesn't matter. The same thing happened with Alexander coming out of the womb 3 feet tall in TNG, and being fully grown by 12 in DS9.
Old January 15 2013, 07:54 AM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I wish I had her childhood.

NO SCHOOL. No little shits tormenting me.. interesting adults who went out of their way to interact with me to make my childhood a positive experience. Important impressive people like the Captain full of good will about my development. ADVENTURE. Never having to go shopping. Lots of books and holoprograms and the best windows ever in any childhood to look out of.
The only problem with those windows is that it's lethal to go outside without a space suit. I grew up on an acreage, with no other kids around. So while I did have problems interacting with other kids (terminally shy), at least I had the outdoors. Naomi didn't have that unless she got to have shore leave with the rest of the crew (the holodeck just isn't the same).
Going outside is overrated especially in an age of holodecks. They look pretty realistic to me. Too pleasant and lacking in wild weather and thorns? Well so is earth these days.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne