Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 14 2013, 11:24 PM   #16
Kimi3013
Captain

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

I wasn't too interested in this when I first read about it. Not because it was a murder show, unlike the seeming majority of the populous here I actually like them, but because it sounded like a go at copying the BBC show. If it had been announced without the BBC one then I'd have been all for it.

But I've really enjoyed it so far, and I'm hoping for a long run for it. No clue how it's doing in the ratings or anything.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 12:40 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
First, Rob Doherty talked about the Super Bowl episode, Moriarty, and Irene Adler as part of the Television Critics Association's press tour.
From the article:
It was important to Doherty that the casting of Moriarty be kept secret for as long as possible. "We're approaching very carefully and as quietly as we can. At the end of the day, we want a tremendous actor," he said. "It's less fun for me if you know who he is."
Then why, Mr. Doherty, do you always cast a name actor as the murderer and thus give the game away right off the bat???!!!!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:05 AM   #18
sojourner
Admiral

I've noticed in Elementary it seems to be much more about the how of the murder, rather than the who.
Old January 15 2013, 01:27 AM   #19
Christopher
Writer

^Sure, but they could make it a little less predictable. I remember the detective shows in the '80s and '90s, like Murder, She Wrote or the Perry Mason revival movies, where they'd cast a whole bunch of more-or-less well-known actors in the same episode. If shows today did that, at least there'd be some uncertainty about which name actor it was.

Old January 15 2013, 01:43 AM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
Then why, Mr. Doherty, do you always cast a name actor as the murderer and thus give the game away right off the bat???!!!!
That's not always true. Craig Bierko wasn't the murderer in his episode; it was his crazy secretary. Callie Thorne wasn't the murderer in her episode; actually, she had no significant role in her episode. The Lisa Edelstein episode, on the other hand...

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 02:22 AM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

First, Rob Doherty talked about the Super Bowl episode, Moriarty, and Irene Adler as part of the Television Critics Association's press tour.

From the article:
It was important to Doherty that the casting of Moriarty be kept secret for as long as possible. "We're approaching very carefully and as quietly as we can. At the end of the day, we want a tremendous actor," he said. "It's less fun for me if you know who he is."
It's Benedict Cumberbatch.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 03:11 AM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

Moriarty should be Red John. Then CBS can have a big crossover.

And only The Machine knows his true identity.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 03:16 AM   #23
lennier1
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
From the article:
It's Benedict Cumberbatch.
It would be beyond awesome if they actually had the balls to pull that off!!!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 08:09 PM   #24
davejames
Vice Admiral

I have to admit, this show's really been growing on me. Although in the latest episode it was a little TOO obvious that the big assassin guy was not the real Moriarty-- and it should have been to Sherlock as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 09:49 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Although in the latest episode it was a little TOO obvious that the big assassin guy was not the real Moriarty-- and it should have been to Sherlock as well.
How would it have been obvious to him? He didn't yet know that there was a Moriarty, so he had nothing to compare the guy to. He hadn't even heard the name Moriarty until Moran told it to him -- he just thought he was going after a serial killer called "M."

I guess what's unusual here is that we're used to seeing the character of Moriarty introduced at a point when Holmes is already aware of him and has been tracking him for some time -- but here we're coming in on the ground floor, seeing the moment when Holmes first became aware of a shadowy criminal mastermind.

Old January 15 2013, 10:08 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I guess what's unusual here is that we're used to seeing the character of Moriarty introduced at a point when Holmes is already aware of him and has been tracking him for some time -- but here we're coming in on the ground floor, seeing the moment when Holmes first became aware of a shadowy criminal mastermind.
Exactly. At this point, pretty much everything Holmes knows about Moriarity is a name on an index card, surrounded by a lot of empty space. As represented by that final scene.

Moriarity (whomever he or she is) has obviously been aware of Holmes for some time, but Holmes only just now became aware of Moriarity's existence.
Old January 15 2013, 11:02 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

^Yup, and that's what's interesting about it. We'll finally get to actually see the process by which Holmes investigates Moriarty and pieces together the web of evidence.

I wonder how long it'll be before we meet Moriarty in person. And I wonder how long it'll be before this Holmes has his own version of Reichenbach Falls.

Old January 16 2013, 12:31 AM   #28
sojourner
Admiral

It would be cool if they did have the actor playing Moriarty in the background of some of the episodes this season. Would give nice incentive to re-watch them and try to spot him/her. As long as he doesn't turn out to be an established cast member.
Old January 16 2013, 12:42 AM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It better not be Watson.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 12:53 AM   #30
stj
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Moriarty should be Red John. Then CBS can have a big crossover.

And only The Machine knows his true identity.
Funny. Especially since Patrick Jane is so much like Sherlock's Holmes (well, except that Jane's sociopathic tendencies are reformed, for good reason) it would be the next best thing to having Cumberbatch guest.

I wonder how long it'll be before we meet Moriarty in person. And I wonder how long it'll be before this Holmes has his own version of Reichenbach Falls.
Five seasons, they hope. Truthfully, I hope they bring back Adam Kimper as one who keeps getting away. Kimper wouldn't be a Napoleon of Crime of course. But that's one's getting a little hard to believably put on screen.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It better not be Watson.
True. But, I wonder if Doherty has read the late, great Michael Dibdin's The Last Sherlock Holmes Story?

(Yes, I know I'm evil.)

I don't think the actor who pretended to be Sherlock's father was actually Moriarty, because it doesn't make sense that Moriarty could count on Sherlock never re-accessing his genuine friend/accents tutor.

Moriarty is plainly supposed to be in the UK which asks the question of how and why they would keep falling afoul, except that the villain keeps trying to kill the designated hero, just because. Like in the comic books.