RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Posts: 5,430,756
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 458
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 15 2013, 01:17 AM   #1276
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: PICTURE POST II!

The closest thing I could possibly get to going vegetarian is my fondness for cheese pizza.

Give up meat? Forget it. I enjoy eating it too much. I may like my pizza without meat, but I also love a good Philly cheesesteak.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:18 AM   #1277
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: PICTURE POST II!

I don't trust a meal that doesn't contain some form of meat. And actually, if I go more than a day without meat, my skin starts to break out. So...yeah, I'm not giving up meat any time ever.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:20 AM   #1278
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: PICTURE POST II!

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
One thing I agree with RoJoHen, salad dressings are doubleplusungood. Olive oil, salt, maybe some lemon juice or vinegar. If you need anything else, your salad is not worth much to start with.
Agreed.

This pretty much sums up my typical dressing as well. Sometimes I add a small spoonful of dijon to give it a little bite.

Oh and +1 on tea's "going veggie" thread.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:26 AM   #1279
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: PICTURE POST II!

The only times I ever eat salad, I absolutely drench it in ranch dressing and bacon bits.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 02:06 AM   #1280
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: PICTURE POST II!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I had tried once before, some years ago, and managed for a year. This time it's much more important to me. My blood glucose was in the upper 240s four days in a row, and coupled with my blood pressure being high, and the likelihood that I have high cholesterol (can't afford the blood test to know for sure), and I said "that's it, I've had enough."

I know that as a vegetarian, I can at least bring my blood sugar and blood pressure under better control.
Firstly, a very genuine good for you and good luck! I've known type 2s who just didn't care, and didn't even try to care for themselves. That you're making the effort is awesome, and I know that as a type 1 I can't "get it" the way another type 2 could, but if you ever need support or suggestions, I've been navigating diabetes since I was 12, and I know my way around a bit, so feel free to ask!

Secondly, as you probably know, J, I can't let any inexactitude or possible misinformation slide anywhere ever (I try, I really do!), so I wanted to be sure that you knew that meat doesn't affect blood sugar! It is one of the few foods that doesn't! There are a ton of great health benefits from going vegetarian, like weight loss and lower cholesterol, but eating meat won't directly affect your glucose levels. I say directly, because diabetes is complicated as fuck; if you lose weight by going veggie, that will most likely affect your glucose, and the fat and protein in meat slow carbohydrate absorption, which is generally good for blood sugar control. I'm not trying at all to dissuade you from your vegetarianism, I just want to share any information and experience I can, because information and experience are the best tools in dealing with diabetes.

In my own experience, vegetarianism was hard on my control, but the saying is true: Your Diabetes May Vary.

Now, for salad dressings, I have to disagree with the iguana. I love experimenting with new dressings, and I like trying different kinds to compliment what I've put in my salad (both homemade and store bought). One of my favorites is to mix a tablespoon of tahini with a splash of vinegar, a squirt of lemon juice, a little water, and some pepper. There's a grocery near me that carries a really nice fig dressing, and when I visit Seattle I try to pick up a bottle of local blackberry dressing.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 02:26 AM   #1281
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: PICTURE POST II!

Well, my experience with salad dressings is somewhat limited to what is found in Europe, so it might be skewed. Let's say we have a salad together, and if I like it, and you can get your hands on my prized Modena's traditional balsamic vinegar collection.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 02:58 AM   #1282
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: PICTURE POST II!

^Oh, that sounds good!

I had a salad tonight, too. Sauteed asparagus and mushrooms over baby kale and fresh parsley, chives, cherry tomatoes, and slivered almonds, with a light and slightly sweet soy-based coleslaw dressing. It was lovely.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:15 AM   #1283
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: PICTURE POST II!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Firstly, a very genuine good for you and good luck! I've known type 2s who just didn't care, and didn't even try to care for themselves. That you're making the effort is awesome, and I know that as a type 1 I can't "get it" the way another type 2 could, but if you ever need support or suggestions, I've been navigating diabetes since I was 12, and I know my way around a bit, so feel free to ask!

Secondly, as you probably know, J, I can't let any inexactitude or possible misinformation slide anywhere ever (I try, I really do!), so I wanted to be sure that you knew that meat doesn't affect blood sugar! It is one of the few foods that doesn't! There are a ton of great health benefits from going vegetarian, like weight loss and lower cholesterol, but eating meat won't directly affect your glucose levels. I say directly, because diabetes is complicated as fuck; if you lose weight by going veggie, that will most likely affect your glucose, and the fat and protein in meat slow carbohydrate absorption, which is generally good for blood sugar control. I'm not trying at all to dissuade you from your vegetarianism, I just want to share any information and experience I can, because information and experience are the best tools in dealing with diabetes.

In my own experience, vegetarianism was hard on my control, but the saying is true: Your Diabetes May Vary.

Now, for salad dressings, I have to disagree with the iguana. I love experimenting with new dressings, and I like trying different kinds to compliment what I've put in my salad (both homemade and store bought). One of my favorites is to mix a tablespoon of tahini with a splash of vinegar, a squirt of lemon juice, a little water, and some pepper. There's a grocery near me that carries a really nice fig dressing, and when I visit Seattle I try to pick up a bottle of local blackberry dressing.
Thanks, tsq. Yeah, I remember that meat is a zero point food, but I guess I've just stopped wanting it. Plus, I won't lie, I actually had more energy today. I did a spontaneous "running man" for a good 10 seconds. Seriously, just out of nowhere I started doing the running man, and then it was gone.

I'm going to steal some of these ideas, and all the great ideas from teacake, too!
__________________
"I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?
Did you even read that book I gave you about obscure unicorn history?" - Twilight Sparkle
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:17 AM   #1284
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: PICTURE POST II!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I did a spontaneous "running man" for a good 10 seconds. Seriously, just out of nowhere I started doing the running man, and then it was gone.
So I take it you killed all of the stalkers in the game zone?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:37 PM   #1285
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: PICTURE POST II!

I'll second a J.Allen veggie/healthy eating thread. Couscous is one of my favorites. Very quick and easy. Apart from Caesar salad dressing, only oil/balsamic.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:44 PM   #1286
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: PICTURE POST II!

^That is a good idea. Come on, J, get crackin'!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:51 PM   #1287
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: PICTURE POST II!

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Well, my experience with salad dressings is somewhat limited to what is found in Europe, so it might be skewed. Let's say we have a salad together, and if I like it, and you can get your hands on my prized Modena's traditional balsamic vinegar collection.
Balsamic vinaigrettes are about the only type of dressing I like anymore. Yum.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:56 PM   #1288
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: PICTURE POST II!

^They're good, but they get boring after awhile! Carrot ginger is another yummy dressing, and easy to make too.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:00 PM   #1289
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: PICTURE POST II!

I mainly just don't like the really thick and heavy ones anymore, which are so common in the US.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:05 PM   #1290
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: PICTURE POST II!

^I do agree with that. There are a couple of creamy-ish dressings I like, but they tend to be on the lighter side. Ranch and bleu cheese dressings are way to heavy for salads, but yummy for dipping.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.