Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2013, 05:24 PM   #91
tighr
Commodore

Re: Minor BTTF Part Two question

One of the interesting features on the BTTF Part 2 special features disc is the making of, where they show how they made the DeLorean fly. It was a combination of practical effects and special effects. For example, as the DeLorean was swooping in for a landing, it would be digitally composited into the film before being hidden by something in the foreground, such as a tree. They would then use camera tracking to re-do the exact same shot, only this time with the real DeLorean lowered from a rig at the angle they wanted as it appears on the other side of the tree. Then ILM went in and integrated the two scenes together.

A similar technique was used in the dinner scene, where Marty and his two kids were all played by Michael J Fox.
Old January 14 2013, 05:47 PM   #92
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
About Back to the Future, when Marty wakes up after the adventure in the first film, how is it that he "merges" with his other self that must have experienced a normal life with his parents, including his improved father?
One of the unresolved questions of that movie (and one that would be confusing, so it makes sense to ignore it). The life that Marty comes back to isn't his own, but rather some other Marty's life, the Marty who time traveled from the Lone Pines mall at the end of the movie.

Realistically, it's a stretch that the new 1985 even minutely resembles the 1985 that Marty is from!
In many ways, I agree that it's better not to think about it, but I'm open to any answers, or attempts at answers. I've not heard a good rationale, partly because I've never asked it before...
Old January 14 2013, 06:57 PM   #93
Gaith
Rear Admiral

TNG was edited on video, but shot on film. If it was shot on video there'd be no HD version to make.

I consider this a "you might as well change it if you can" kind of thing, but I think changing how the DeLorean flew by CGI to erase the flaws also defeats the point: it was quite charming - and it took a lot of work - to use all kinds of techniques to make it fly back then.
Fair point. There is a tangible difference between a pane of glass inserted solely for the actor's safety versus the creative process behind making the effect of a car fly.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 08:08 PM   #94
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
TNG was edited on video, but shot on film. If it was shot on video there'd be no HD version to make.

I consider this a "you might as well change it if you can" kind of thing, but I think changing how the DeLorean flew by CGI to erase the flaws also defeats the point: it was quite charming - and it took a lot of work - to use all kinds of techniques to make it fly back then.
Fair point. There is a tangible difference between a pane of glass inserted solely for the actor's safety versus the creative process behind making the effect of a car fly.
There's like only 3 scenes I would be extatic if they fixed up somehow.

The first one is when Biff takes the Delorean. You could clearly tell that the model they were using was being shaken by a Bulldozer or similar vehicle.

The second one is the horribly matte looking shot of the plane that swoops by them in the alternate 1985.

The third one is when Marty clocks evil 1985 Biff with the Delorean's door, and the car take off from the roof. That swoop it does is horribly fake.

I think that's pretty much all I would change in the entire series.
Old January 14 2013, 09:23 PM   #95
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Timelines aside, my favorite bit in that movie is the image of Genghis Khan in the sporting goods store! That was inspired!
I just wish we got a scene of Lincoln watching C-SPAN (or whatever we had back then) or reading the politics section of the news paper or something and shaking his head.
I don't think he'd be outraged seeing as he's from around the time a senator beat another senator with a cane on the freaking senate floor.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 11:42 PM   #96
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Maybe at the end of pt.1 when that ginger guy is pulling Lorraine away they could add George going "No... Nooo.... Nooooooooooo!!!!!"

Oh and CGI Biff punching him first, because you can't have George looking a bully.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 11:46 PM   #97
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

About Back to the Future, when Marty wakes up after the adventure in the first film, how is it that he "merges" with his other self that must have experienced a normal life with his parents, including his improved father?
There really is only one Marty. The fact that he still remembers the original timeline doesn't change that.
Old January 14 2013, 11:52 PM   #98
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There really is only one Marty. The fact that he still remembers the original timeline doesn't change that.
So.... why doesn't he remember the new timeline?

He had to somehow merge with another Marty.
Old January 15 2013, 12:10 AM   #99
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

^ I'm sure his memories of the new timeline would gradually return to him.
Old January 15 2013, 02:02 AM   #100
tighr
Commodore

I don't believe it works that way.