Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 6 2013, 03:10 PM   #31
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Re: What's up with Weller's character?

Grandson of John Frederick Paxton?
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:21 AM   #32
acappellasaurus
Fleet Captain

Hearing some chatter around that people think Weller might be playing Khan, not Cumberbatch. Thoughts on this possibility? From strictly a looks standpoint, he does have a certain likeness to Ricardo Montalban, I think. This could be the surprise twist maybe?
acappellasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:00 PM   #33
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Didn't Weller already have a role in the first one:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IDve5JKZP3...r+Trek+Cop.jpg

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 12:08 AM   #34
serenitytrek1
Commander

I don’t want to start the Trek and Nolan’s batman comparison again but there is a good chance that John Harrison might be what Bane was in TDKR and Peter Weller's character might be what Talia Al Ghul was in TDKR.

So in other words John Harrison might just be a puppet and Weller’s character will be the big bad who will only be effective in the last 10 minutes of the film.

TDKR was an average film at best in my opinion so it will suck (a bit) if the plot is similar to the plot in into darkness in terms of the villian.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 12:14 AM   #35
The Keeper
Commodore

No worries, there is another comparison we can make. Weller is The Emperor and Cumberbatch is Vader.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 12:52 AM   #36
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I donít want to start the Trek and Nolanís batman comparison again but there is a good chance that John Harrison might be what Bane was in TDKR and Peter Weller's character might be what Talia Al Ghul was in TDKR.

So in other words John Harrison might just be a puppet and Wellerís character will be the big bad who will only be effective in the last 10 minutes of the film.

TDKR was an average film at best in my opinion so it will suck (a bit) if the plot is similar to the plot in into darkness in terms of the villian.
Yeah, but TDKR's problem wasn't the plot, it was the execution of that plot, and the way the film got mired down in its own self-indulgence during the middle third that meandered relatively aimlessly....

...What I mean is that Nolan added a lot of useless crap in the middle of the film to artificially lengthen it. It would have been a much more entertaining film if he tightened it up, and disposed of the slack.

To avoid the risk of pissing off the mods, I'll get myself back on topic. I guess that could be the case (Harrison being Weller's puppet), but it seems they are pumping up Cumberbatch's character so much that it would be a let down if that happened.

Although, if that does happen, a great twist would be the double-cross -- i.e., Weller may think Harrison was his puppet, but Harrison was actually just leading him along the entire time, and Harrison had a bigger agenda.

That may not be a terribly original plot twist, but if done right it could be an effective twist.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 01:07 AM   #37
serenitytrek1
Commander

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
I don’t want to start the Trek and Nolan’s batman comparison again but there is a good chance that John Harrison might be what Bane was in TDKR and Peter Weller's character might be what Talia Al Ghul was in TDKR.

So in other words John Harrison might just be a puppet and Weller’s character will be the big bad who will only be effective in the last 10 minutes of the film.

Yeah, but TDKR's problem wasn't the plot, it was the execution of that plot, and the way the film got mired down in its own self-indulgence during the middle third that meandered relatively aimlessly....

...What I mean is that Nolan added a lot of useless crap in the middle of the film to artificially lengthen it. It would have been a much more entertaining film if he tightened it up, and disposed of the slack.

To avoid the risk of pissing off the mods, I'll get myself back on topic. I guess that could be the case (Harrison being Weller's puppet), but it seems they are pumping up Cumberbatch's character so much that it would be a let down if that happened.

Although, if that does happen, a great twist would be the double-cross -- i.e., Weller may think Harrison was his puppet, but Harrison was actually just leading him along the entire time, and Harrison had a bigger agenda.

That may not be a terribly original plot twist, but if done right it could be an effective twist.
You hit the nail on the end when you said that they are pumping Cumberbatch's charcater. Cumberbatch is perhaps the most popular actor in the film right now.

its so funny because Nolan an his buddies did the same with Bane's charcater,it was a little dumb when he turned out to be Talia's pet and that was why I said it will suck a bit if John Harrison is only a puppet like Bane.
Old January 9 2013, 01:47 AM   #38
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Harrison is clearly a puppet of Khan.
Old January 12 2013, 08:25 AM   #39
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Harrison is clearly a puppet of Khan.
Does that make him, Pup-Khan ?

And would he be 'buttered up' by the end of the movie??

I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:40 PM   #40
Mage
Fleet Captain

I donít want to start the Trek and Nolanís batman comparison again but there is a good chance that John Harrison might be what Bane was in TDKR and Peter Weller's character might be what Talia Al Ghul was in TDKR.

So in other words John Harrison might just be a puppet and Wellerís character will be the big bad who will only be effective in the last 10 minutes of the film.

Countless of movies, tv-shows, novels, comics, games and what not have used this plot. Why would it have to be compared to TDKR?
Old January 12 2013, 01:52 PM   #41
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post

Countless of movies, tv-shows, novels, comics, games and what not have used this plot. Why would it have to be compared to TDKR?
TDKR is still fresh in everyone's minds, therefore it created this trope as far as the General Audience is concerned.
Old January 12 2013, 04:51 PM   #42
Mage
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post

TDKR is still fresh in everyone's minds, therefore it created this trope as far as the General Audience is concerned.
Makes sense when you put it that way.
Old January 13 2013, 06:06 PM   #43
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

If we're going to do comparisons with Nolan's Batman movies, we should look for them not in TDKR but in TDK, which is the movie the writers have said they wanted to draw some inspiration from or something along those lines.
Was anything even known about TDKR when the script for STID was written? Star Trek finished filming May 2012 and Rises came out a few months later if I'm not mistaken.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:09 PM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

There are many, many references to Buckaroo Banzai scattered throughout TNG. The oscillation overthruster prop makes several appearances. According to their dedication plaques a number of Starfleet vessels were assembled at various Yoyodyne shipyards and contractor facilities.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:43 AM   #45
serenitytrek1
Commander

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
If we're going to do comparisons with Nolan's Batman movies, we should look for them not in TDKR but in TDK, which is the movie the writers have said they wanted to draw some inspiration from or something along those lines.
Was anything even known about TDKR when the script for STID was written? Star Trek finished filming May 2012 and Rises came out a few months later if I'm not mistaken.
I am kind of sad that JJ and his crew need to draw inspiration from TDK.

Why?

ST09 was better than TDK (In my opinion). Besides, Rottentomatoes and Metacritic agree with me as ST 09 has a much higher critical reception than TDK.

I consider TDK to be overrated,Dont get me wrong it was a good film but it is not the best superhero film ever. Also, I was never into the Joker worship like the comic fan boys. Joker in TDK was too much of a gary stu for my taste, I hope STID is A better film.