Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 14 2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Re: Tomalak's intelligence?

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
EDIT: I think also that for those of us familiar with Andreas Katsulas on Babylon Five, our sense of the Tomalak character is sometimes distorted by awareness of G'Kar. It can't help but feel...wrong...to have him come across as less than insightful...
LOL, I was going to make this exact same point. It's possible my impressions of Tomalak were influenced by G'Kar. Like the OP, I was somewhat confused when I read the PoN/RtD duology and found that Tomalak had come down with a case of the stupids. Of course, it's probably fair to say that he was depicted as somewhat of a hot-headed buffoon in AGT, which, to me, seemed to go against his previous characterization too.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:44 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

I for one never watched Babylon 5, so I didn't have that influencing how I perceived Tomalak. Based on what I saw in The Enemy, The Defector, and All Good Things I saw a a competant Romulan officer in command of a warbird who had some sort negative opinion of Starfleet/the Federation.

So while the novels present a somewhat different take on Tomalak, it's not one I am against either.
Old January 14 2013, 07:37 PM   #18
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

I don't think Tomalak actually appeared in person in the series (always on a viewscreen) which somewhat lessened his impact. I neither liked nor disliked his portrayal in the novels.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:56 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Tomalak did appear "in person" in "Future Imperfect," but it turned out to be an illusion.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Funnily enough, Andreas Katsulas said the opposite; he thought Tomalak was effective by virtue of being a giant face on a screen, and was apparently less comfortable portraying illusion-Tomalak in "Future Imperfect".
Old January 14 2013, 11:52 PM   #21
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

There always seemed to be a huge discrepancy in the sizes people appeared on the Enterprise-D viewscreen - Q for example in the pilot, and the Ferengi in "The Last Outpost". It was a weird choice.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 12:04 AM   #22
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Novels aren't canon, of course.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 12:26 AM   #23
Christopher
Writer

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
There always seemed to be a huge discrepancy in the sizes people appeared on the Enterprise-D viewscreen - Q for example in the pilot, and the Ferengi in "The Last Outpost". It was a weird choice.
Well, the Ferengi were deliberately made huge on the viewscreen in "The Last Outpost." It was even explicitly stated in dialogue that the image was distorted in some way. The idea was that the Ferengi were making themselves look big and scary to compensate for how small they really were (shades of Balok).

Anyway, why wouldn't there be a discrepancy? It's not as if every alien ship commander or government official would all be sitting exactly the same distance from their cameras and have them all on the exact same zoom setting.

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
A: Everyone here knows that.

B: How is that in any way relevant to the conversation?

Old January 15 2013, 07:27 AM   #24
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Thank you Captain Obvious, uh, I mean McBain.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 01:34 PM   #25
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Funnily enough, Andreas Katsulas said the opposite; he thought Tomalak was effective by virtue of being a giant face on a screen, and was apparently less comfortable portraying illusion-Tomalak in "Future Imperfect".
It's worth noting that Tomalak didn't do half-bad for himself. Not only did he becomie proconsul under two very different praetors, but the alliance he struck with Sela came very close to succeeding in its goals of acquiring Dominion technology for the Typhon Pact.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 09:44 PM   #26
flandry84
Captain

And nobody ascends to the centre seat of a Romulan warbird by being stupid,dullards don't tend to last long.
Perhaps Tomalek's ambition simply exceeded his ability.

As for recasting Tomalek,it would of course be possible(Peter Coyote would IMO make a great Romulan)but Katsulas had such tremendous presence that it is his face I see whenever Tomalek gets a mention.
Old January 15 2013, 10:39 PM   #27
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

flandry84 wrote: View Post
And nobody ascends to the centre seat of a Romulan warbird by being stupid,dullards don't tend to last long.
Perhaps Tomalek's ambition simply exceeded his ability.
That strikes me as quite plausible.

The particular plan that took him down, the attempt to acquire Dominion technology and shuttle it through the wormhole to the Typhon Pact, did seem to be reasonably well-constructed--the planners thought the Breen merchanter had the cargo capacity to transport the material, they expected the Dominion couldn't intercept the ship's transmissions or detect it, they thought that the warbird could sneak out of the Gamma Quadrant past DS9. It's just that things went wrong that the planners couldn't control, whether we're talking of the Pact underestimating Dominion capacities or of the timing problems with DS9's bombs. It's easy to imagine circumstances where the plan did go off successfully.

Tomalak, for his part, would have benefitted enormously from Sela's successful gambit. Kamemor and her regime probably would have been tossed out, but Tomalak? Maybe he could have become Emperor, after all. He probably was quite useful to Sela as a sufficiently conventional Romulan--a half-blood could almost certainly never have become Praetor, but a Romulan military officer of note with a close ally?
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 10:47 PM   #28
flandry84
Captain

A full human did become praetor once,no matter how catastrophic his reign had been.
That said Shinzon's Romulan co-conspirators probably had plans to eventually do away with him and place a full-blooded Romulan on the throne,all in vain however.
Old January 15 2013, 10:51 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

flandry84 wrote: View Post
That said Shinzon's Romulan co-conspirators probably had plans to eventually do away with him and place a full-blooded Romulan on the throne,all in vain however.
Yup. They thought they were using him, but he was using them.

Old January 15 2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
The particular plan that took him down, the attempt to acquire Dominion technology and shuttle it through the wormhole to the Typhon Pact, did seem to be reasonably well-constructed--the planners thought the Breen merchanter had the cargo capacity to transport the material, they expected the Dominion couldn't intercept the ship's transmissions or detect it, they thought that the warbird could sneak out of the Gamma Quadrant past DS9. It's just that things went wrong that the planners couldn't control, whether we're talking of the Pact underestimating Dominion capacities or of the timing problems with DS9's bombs. It's easy to imagine circumstances where the plan did go off successfully.
Actually I thought that the plan only really fell apart when they decided to add the bombs as a contingency plan, I mean if their hadn't been any bombs the crew wouldn't have found them, the station wouldn't have been on alert, and the warbird could have gotten away before either the Enterprise or Robinson could warn them about the deception.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote