Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2013, 12:03 PM   #31
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Jurassic Park 4 Coming June 14, 20...2014!!!

If it's billed as 4, it's for sure a continuation, then? Not a reboot? Sorry, I can't find any confirmation of this.

Just wondering how a reboot would work within the confines of the original Crichton novel. Getting tired of sitting though origin stories again with all the superhero movies but a fresh take on the novel might be interesting.

Then again, I love the characters in the previous 3. Why not have more stuttering Jeff Goldblum, introspective Sam O'Neil and ass-kicking Laura Dern?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 12:12 PM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
If it's billed as 4, it's for sure a continuation, then? Not a reboot? Sorry, I can't find any confirmation of this.

Just wondering how a reboot would work within the confines of the original Crichton novel. Getting tired of sitting though origin stories again with all the superhero movies but a fresh take on the novel might be interesting.

Then again, I love the characters in the previous 3. Why not have more stuttering Jeff Goldblum, introspective Sam O'Neil and ass-kicking Laura Dern?
I suspect a "continuation", as much of one as we can get at this point. Which I think, really, given Spielberg these days is just not going to be a fantastic, great, take on the material. I just don't know what else there is to say in this franchise. I can give TLW something of a pass (excluding the San Diego sequences) because at least it was somewhat based on a book (with lame retcon in it to fit in with the movie franchise) but even that movie didn't have much new to offer. The third movie was just... Ugh. I "liked" it but it was just a rehash of everything. Dinosaurs. People stuck on an island. People want off island.

I really think a darker, more faithful adaptation of the book is needed.
Old January 13 2013, 04:53 PM   #33
Forbin
Admiral

On facebook, Pat Tallman (who stunt-doubled Laura Dern), said she ran into Dern recently, and Laura asked her if she was ready for JP4. Pat said "But I AM a dinosaur!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:05 PM   #34
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I just don't know what else there is to say in this franchise.
Aye. An AV Club writer had an interesting comment about III a while ago, in a list of Best Scenes in Worst Movies:
There’s an amazing scene in the otherwise largely crummy film, right near the end, when Marines arrive on Isla Sorna to bail out Sam Neill, William H. Macy, et al. from the prehistoric predators. As the infantry rolls into an oncoming charge of dinos, Johnston cuts away. It feels like a cheat at first. After all, Jurassic Park had been courting a full-blown human/dino war since the T-Rex got loose on the mainland in the second film. But Johnston’s cutaway is superb, a rug-pulling acknowledgment that, duh, obviously a bunch of hi-tech tanks and guys with automatic weapons could take down a herd of pea-brained reptiles. Survival of the fittest and all that.

This almost makes one seem why, in the words of the AV Club's Sean O'Neal, one proposed script "would have featured a commando unit of super-smart human-dinosaur hybrids specially trained for capturing drug dealers and rescuing kidnapped children, because fuck everything else about Jurassic Park up to that point."

To which I can only repeat my Jurassic Park Origins: Maple White Land idea...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:38 PM   #35
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
That links to a thread talking about adapting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World I don't really see anything about Jurassic Park.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:47 PM   #36
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Trekker, have you read The List World? It's the only time the movie is better than the book. But they share nothing in title besides the name.

There is no reason to reboot the franchise, I dont need to see another park goes wrong movie.
Old January 13 2013, 07:09 PM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I read TLW when came out, I honestly barely remember much of it. Yeah it wasn't very good, but I also feel that way about the movie which had a lot of bunk in it (including the SD stuff.).
Old January 13 2013, 07:12 PM   #38
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ The only part of the movie I remember clearly is when the T-Rex came to the mainland. I thought that was the best part because it was something different.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:24 PM   #39
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Agreed.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
That links to a thread talking about adapting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World I don't really see anything about Jurassic Park.
Well, that's kinda the half-joke: that there's nothing left to say with JP, and the JP franchise borrowed liberally from The Lost World, so why not return the favor by having the people behind JP make a faithful Lost World adaptation? The Jurassic Park Origins: title was obviously in jest, but how is the following not a winning trailer voiceover:
From the producers of Jurassic Park... comes the epic tale that introduced dinosaur fiction to mankind... from the creator of Sherlock Holmes... THE LOST WORLD!
Old January 13 2013, 07:49 PM   #40
lennier1
Commodore

^ Agreed.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well, that's kinda the half-joke: that there's nothing left to say with JP, and the JP franchise borrowed liberally from The Lost World, so why not return the favor by having the people behind JP make a faithful Lost World adaptation? The Jurassic Park Origins: title was obviously in jest, but how is the following not a winning trailer voiceover:
From the producers of Jurassic Park... comes the epic tale that introduced dinosaur fiction to mankind... from the creator of Sherlock Holmes... THE LOST WORLD!
I'd rather see Spielberg have fun with a straight adaption of the book, set in its original time period.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:57 PM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ But... that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I'm keeping the goofiness to the marketing; and of course Doyle's story must be kept to its own era.
Old January 14 2013, 01:57 AM   #42
RoJoHen
Awesome

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Will any of the CGI dinosaurs have feathers?
Old January 14 2013, 02:30 AM   #43
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Oh...boy...
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:34 PM   #44
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ The only part of the movie I remember clearly is when the T-Rex came to the mainland. I thought that was the best part because it was something different.
Eh, it was too much like a Godzilla movie with better special effects for me. I liked the movie until then. It didn't make me hate it i was just not excited about it.
Old January 14 2013, 09:42 PM   #45
lennier1
Commodore

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Eh, it was too much like a Godzilla movie with better special effects for me. I liked the movie until then. It didn't make me hate it i was just not excited about it.
It actually reminded me of a subplot of the original novel, where some young Raptors had stowed away on one of the supply ships which are only briefly mentioned in the first movie (evacuation of all non-essential personnel because of the storm).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote