Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2013, 07:10 AM   #46
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: "AGE OF THE HOBBITS": Asylum finally sued for making ripoff movies

JD wrote: View Post
^That's always been my thought when I see their movies. I've often wondered how many clueless relatives have thought they were getting someone a movie that they loved, only to find out that they accidently got them the crappy ripoff.
Imagine a relative giving it to you and you open it up and see it's a rip off Asylum movie and the relative is beaming at you..do you have the heart to tell them it's not your beloved movie? I'm not sure how I'd respond to that.
Old January 13 2013, 07:58 AM   #47
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It's bad etiquette to tell someone to their face that you're dissatisfied with a gift, though if they're someone you've got a solid enough foundation with that you can be that level of honest with them...you're lucky to have someone like that.

That said, after last Xmas I dealt with two dissatisfying movies in my own ways.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:42 AM   #48
Aragorn
Admiral

^That's always been my thought when I see their movies. I've often wondered how many clueless relatives have thought they were getting someone a movie that they loved, only to find out that they accidently got them the crappy ripoff.
That's actually how it started. They made War of the Worlds and people were buying it and renting it thinking it was the Spielberg movie, even though that movie had just come out in theaters. They also have a lot of movies that are titled with a number at the front so it'll be at the top of On Demand.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 08:49 PM   #49
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Excerpt from the review of this film that was linked to many posts above (talks about the term 'Hobbit' too):

You might be wondering to yourself right now what exactly does any of this mockbuster have to do with Hobbits or, for that matter, how The Asylum is able to legally get away with using the word in the title. You see, Hobbits werent just a figment of Tolkiens imagination; theyre also the name of an actual pygmy tribe that lived in Indonesia thousands of years ago. Age of the Hobbits is set in Indonesia 12,000 years ago, as an on-screen graphic reveals at the outset. Lest you think this is going to be an historical epic with shades of Apocalypto, apparently 12,000 years ago in Indonesia spiders the size of elephants and flying Komodo dragons also existed.
Lol!
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:32 PM   #50
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

JRS wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Any reviews of this movie yet?

For these kinds of movies, the reviews tend to be much more fun reading than seeing the movie itself!
Yes there is:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/age-hobbits-2012

Its actually getting 3-4 stars in some of the reviews I have seen, so it seems its better than their usual "quality". Though that might disappoint the hardcore fans of fans of Asylum, who expect it to be that "so bad its funny" kind of thing.

I might check this out myself, since I am fan of Bai Ling
plus having Christopher Judge in the cast helps, too.

I have not seen almost any of the Asylum films yet..but I am planning to get few in the future. Its very educational stuff for any film buff. Plus it is sometimes so much fun to just watch some really bad films.
Check out Titanic II on Netflix sometime..
I have to say, however, that War of the Worlds and WotW Part II weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be...
Old January 15 2013, 10:54 PM   #51
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Excerpt from the review of this film that was linked to many posts above (talks about the term 'Hobbit' too):

You might be wondering to yourself right now what exactly does any of this mockbuster have to do with Hobbits or, for that matter, how The Asylum is able to legally get away with using the word in the title. You see, Hobbits werent just a figment of Tolkiens imagination; theyre also the name of an actual pygmy tribe that lived in Indonesia thousands of years ago.
Except legally they still can't get away with it. Homo floresiensis isn't actually called "hobbit" anywhere except informally, and Tolkien's estate has squawked about that too.

Good luck, Asylum. With your name, maybe you can try for the insanity defense.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 11:38 PM   #52
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
It's bad etiquette to tell someone to their face that you're dissatisfied with a gift
Always annoyed me, as the donor. How am I supposed to find a better present next time when nobody tells me they didn't like the last one?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 12:29 AM   #53
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If I'm not sure what someone wants I ask them, or try to go generic. Amazon gift cards work well.
Old January 16 2013, 12:49 AM   #54
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

I always get gift cards for everyone on my list. As long as you do ten seconds of homework to find out where they like to shop, you literally can't lose.
Old January 16 2013, 01:09 AM   #55
JD
Admiral

I actually prefer to get gift cards. That way I can get what I want, and don't have to worry about somebody getting me the wrong thing.
Old January 16 2013, 03:02 AM   #56
Aragorn
Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post

You might be wondering to yourself right now what exactly does any of this mockbuster have to do with Hobbits or, for that matter, how The Asylum is able to legally get away with using the word in the title. You see, Hobbits werent just a figment of Tolkiens imagination; theyre also the name of an actual pygmy tribe that lived in Indonesia thousands of years ago.
Except legally they still can't get away with it. Homo floresiensis isn't actually called "hobbit" anywhere except informally, and Tolkien's estate has squawked about that too.

Good luck, Asylum. With your name, maybe you can try for the insanity defense.
One review says "hobbit" isn't even mentioned in the movie.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 05:10 AM   #57
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I actually prefer to get gift cards. That way I can get what I want, and don't have to worry about somebody getting me the wrong thing.
I keep a lengthy Amazon wishlist. All the benefits of knowing people will get you something you want while still surprising you to a point. As long as you keep items on it with a healthy range of prices.
Old January 16 2013, 05:28 AM   #58
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The cover text actually explains the "real hobbits" definition before mentioning the dragons.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:29 AM   #59
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I just saw my first Asylum movie: Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. I was curious to see whether it might be better than the movie it was ripping off (not inconceivable in this case).

Well maybe not, but it had two things to recommend it: "A man divided against himself cannot stand" (Abe explaining the usefulness of decapitation when fighting zombies) and an ending that was actually kinda touching.

It was fun seeing the Union and Confederate sides arguing over politics while zombie hordes were rampaging outside but Stonewall Jackson's beard was even worse than Thaddeus Stevens wig in Lincoln.

Speaking of Jackson, he was dead by the time the movie was set (post-Gettysburg) and I was hoping he'd turn out to be a zombie in a clever twist history buffs would get, but no such luck.

Verdict: not as horrible as I expected. Sorta fun, really, and showed more effort than strictly needed in a cheapo ripoff movie.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 03:54 PM   #60
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I applaud Asylum for making movies and succeeding at getting people to buy and watch them. If you're not Sony, Universal, Fox or some other major player, this is very tough to accomplish.