TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old January 11 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
sciquest2525
Ensign

Design Prometheus with the original five subships

When the scripts were being developed for the Voyager episode containing the Prometheus, the MVAM was to comprise five sub ships rather then the three shown on screen do to script alterations.
What might have Prometheus looked like with those five modules and would you have had them crewed or relied solely on remote control of the modules from the Bridge w/ computer support or have crews operate each sub ship?
sciquest2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:41 PM   #2
The Librarian
Commodore

Re: Design Prometheus with the original five subships

I would have made the core ship bigger, and then had four additional drone 'fighters' (although big, larger-than-runabout sized ones) that broke off for it. Sort of like the rider ships from CJ Cherryh's books.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:57 PM   #3
B.J.
Rear Admiral

On this page, if you click on the third pic down (not all of the pic is shown in the thumbnail), you'll see a rough concept of how it would have looked with five sub ships.
Old January 14 2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Actually, this was done some time ago. Here:

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Timo
Admiral

The thing I like about the three-ship version is that the "drones" are the ones with the big engines, while the "carrier" is just a big load the "drones" haul along on combined flight mode. Makes sense: the drones need big engines to be credible combatants, while the carrier doesn't actually need to maneuver, or carry anything, but just stands back and lets the four people aboard guide the otherwise uncrewed fight.

For a five-component ship, then, I'd keep the four-nacelle layout, but have each engine attached to a single drone... When preparing for a fight, the thing splits in the middle like an arrow that has somehow wronged Robin Hood, and the control section emerges from the middle of the bow bulge, pops out those teeny weeny nacelles of its own, and watches the four identical "arrow splinters" engage the enemy.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Dukhat
Commodore

B.J. wrote: View Post
On this page, if you click on the third pic down (not all of the pic is shown in the thumbnail), you'll see a rough concept of how it would have looked with five sub ships.
I'm glad they went with the three-part design, because two of those five parts are completely unnecessary.
Old January 15 2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Timo
Admiral

Swarming an opponent in three dimensions would call for four ships at a minimum, so a five-component system would seem prudent if the command unit does not take part in the fight...

Timo Saloniemi
Old January 16 2013, 04:33 AM   #8
kv1at3485
Commodore

sciquest2525 wrote: View Post
When the scripts were being developed for the Voyager episode containing the Prometheus, the MVAM was to comprise five sub ships rather then the three shown on screen do to script alterations.
What might have Prometheus looked like with those five modules and would you have had them crewed or relied solely on remote control of the modules from the Bridge w/ computer support or have crews operate each sub ship?
Hello again, westwords2020.
kv1at3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 03:01 PM   #9
sciquest2525
Ensign

Yes, I used to be westwords2020 and hope I that as Sciquest2525 I have matured in five years and not become a fanboy again! I forgot the thread from five years ago and was just curious. Maybeye the outriders with a seperating warp saucer and engineering section with external mounted outriders, ala C.J. Cheryth would be better.
Old January 19 2013, 02:11 AM   #10
Albertese
Commodore

Dude, sciquest2525, did you make your location, your actual address?

brassy.

--Alex
Old January 19 2013, 07:35 AM   #11
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Actually, this was done some time ago. Here:

Mark
This web site needs a Like button.
Old January 22 2013, 06:27 PM   #12
sciquest2525
Ensign

Yes, my actual address is as above. So I'll get swamped with mail! Hah! In my dreams
Old January 27 2013, 09:57 PM   #13
bryce
Rear Admiral

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

If I was going to re-design the Prometheus, I would makes sure that, if one (or more in the case of the 5-ship version) parts were destroyed, the remaining parts could still recombine. With the version used in the show, the top "command" module looks like it can only combine with the top "drone", and not the bottom "drone"...and if the top component was destroyed in battle (which could very well happen in a fight) the two remaining components couldn't re-combine.

And in my version I'd make each of the 3, 4, or 5 (or whatever) components were the same as the others, and each capable of operating independently...because if you have a "command" module and some slaved "drones", and the command module was destroyed...that would suck. The only complication with that design is, as pointed out with the linked-to article, is that each component would have to have it's own copy of everything...warp core, sickbay, cargo and engines and fuel storage and transporters.

Or you could just have a large Galactica or Andromeda type carrier and multiple smaller drones. Maybe even a medium-sized carrier with 5 or more smaller attacher "rider" type drones, so that if any and even all were lost...the mothership could continue on. (And if the drones were truley un-manned, it wouldn't matter if the mothership carrier was lost, no one would be stranded. Or the drones could be piloted be on-board strong AI's with small warp-cores so that they could return to a base if the mother carrier was lost.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Saul
Rear Admiral

sciquest2525 wrote: View Post
Yes, my actual address is as above. So I'll get swamped with mail! Hah! In my dreams
Haha, don't worry about that. Just worry about the nut job who knocks on your door at 4am in the morning.
Old January 30 2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

if you have a "command" module and some slaved "drones", and the command module was destroyed...that would suck.
But having a command module does away with the M-5 problem: you have a local man in the loop, even though you don't risk any lives.

Or you could just have a large Galactica or Andromeda type carrier and multiple smaller drones.
The Prometheus is fun especially for its ditching of the carrier concept and giving the job of "carrying" to the drones - rather sensibly so, as big engines have their rightful place on the drones themselves. A carrier-plus-drones deal would be fun in its own terms, but probably not the same thing as the Prometheus.

Timo Saloniemi