RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,234
Posts: 5,406,209
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 608
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Online Adds More Voyager Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

The Wil Wheaton Project Axed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Kurtzman’s Production Company Signs Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 3 2013, 08:46 PM   #46
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Sindatur,

It appears that we're both in the middle now, so I won't belabor this much longer - no point in arguing when you've more or less arrived at agreement.

I'll offer a some parting comments here.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I strongly disagree that Spock should just out and start playing God and saping the universe in his own image, nothing could be more foolish.
In that case, I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't recommend that he do that.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
As Franklin says, each piece of information should be weighed.
I've also said that he'd have to perform risk analysis.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
You don't give a Caveman a cache of M16s or Nuclear Weapons and expect anything other than chaos to result, because the Caveman didn't earn the Technology by evolving and learning it on their own.
I suppose it's a good thing that the UFP is not comprised of cavemen then.

If you're in ancient Rome, do you warn them about lead poisoning?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Just as the Vulcans in Enterprise didn't just hand over everything about Space Travel to Earth and The Prime Directive says you don't do things like that.

There is no prime directive, temporal or otherwise, which would block Spock from sharing some very useful information in this case.


Humans were exploring in Trek, because they wanted to learn. They freely exchanged technologies with warp-capable cultures. They benefited quite a bit from these exchanges. Spock could help the UFP avoid needless deaths and deadly misunderstandings.

Again, Spock is in a world which is very much like his own. It even has another younger version of him in it. This is not some delicate alien prewarp culture, but his own culture and society which he is in here.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I never meant to imply that Spock shouldn't share anything of his knowledge of the future,
Perhaps, but your argument was a bit overstated. When that happens you tend to get committed to stronger claims than you want to make.

I don't want to paint you into a corner here, but I'd also like to note that I wasn't simply straw-manning you either.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm just saying he shouldn't have verbal diarhea and spit out everything he knows,
No, but he sure knows a lot. Just think of how many redshirts who don't need to die in this universe, how many alien species they need not accidentally harm, how many diseases he can help cure, etc., etc.

I agree, that he shouldn't just sketch up the design for quantum torpedoes and share them with everyone, but that's where risk-analysis comes in.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
plus, as you point out, the prior history is not written in stone, the action that should have been taken in the Prime Time Line, could now lead to horrible circumstances. What Spock shares, should be carefully parsed out after consideration and weighing.
Sure, but the mere fact that there could be horrible circumstances is no reason not to act when he knows, positively, that he could save lives.

And again, I think part of what can keep this universe interesting is that they now have another good reason why their 5-year voyage can be much different than TOS (i.e., they don't have to make the same mistakes that TOS made).

I find it interesting that they've allowed for the existence of this walking spoiler alert in the nu-Trek verse. If I were these guys, I might kill him off to avoid the potential problem of Old Spock having answers that he should be sharing with UFP.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 09:04 PM   #47
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Sure, The Feds aren't cavemen in TOS times, but, they are a good 100 years behind Spock's technical know-how, so, if Spock were to try and shape the Galaxy in his image, by spitting ot everything and getting them 100 years further in technology in a matter of a couple of a years, it could be very catastrophic. Pointing out the Prime Directive, wasn't meant to say Spcok would be breaking rules/laws, but, there is a reason you let Civlizations drive their own course, and that's because giving knowledge/technology that wasn't earned and properly understood (And the gravity of that knoledge appreciated) can have disastrous outcomes

I do agree, he should share some stuff sparingly, to avoid some of the worst stuff from happening, but, it should definitely be sparingly and with proper weighing, because the more he decides to "guide" them into the future quicker, the more likely he will make a bad choice that leads to a disastrous outcome.

I don't think the writers need to kill hm off to prevent the "Spoilers for the Future". I, in fact, think they should use him to impart some information for a nobel/good cause (As in saving Edith Keeler) and have it lead to unexpected dire consequences
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 09:44 PM   #48
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

I think Spock Prime should intercept and merge with V'ger.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 11:49 PM   #49
The Keeper
Commodore
 
The Keeper's Avatar
 
Location: Where reality ends and illusion begins
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

^ lol

I agree the primary reason for Spock to share his knowledge would be attempting to save lives.

For him to see an incident approaching which he knows is going to cost lives but takes no action is unconscionable, IMO. I just cannot, under ANY circumstances, not see him siding with the needs of the soon to be dying if he doesn't act.

Of course there could there be negative consequences for choosing such a path but at least those consequences could then be faced and dealt with normally. What ever results occur from doing the right thing is a better result than living with the guilt and corruption of his characters integrity by not attempting to help where possible.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Look at what Daniels' attempt to protect Archer caused in "Shockwave" or Braxton's attempt to fix history in "Future's End". Look what happened after "Endgame" in the novelverse.
This is why I wish the Nuverse was NOT the same one as the ENT version we saw. Because that connection implies single timeline time-travel could be possible in the Nuverse and I do not want it to be so, for the very reasons you state. I want future timetravel in Trek to be remain based on the multiverse theory; from now on all timetravel leads to a different branched reality just as happened in ST. Goodbye paradoxes and reset buttons forever.

Say Spock warns Starfleet about the Borg. Starfleet investigates a century earlier than the Hansons' did in the Prime universe and try something Kirk-like and reckless which brings the collective down on an unprepared Federation. Say he warns them about the Bajoran wormhole, which leads to an earlier Federation/Cardassian war. Say he warns Deneva about the parasites, and a century later a survivor's child starts experimenting with the omega and renders the entire alpha quadrant impassable to warp ships.

I'm not saying Spock 100% shouldn't interfere, but I can see why he may choose not to.
Spock could take steps to prevent premature exposure to threats he intends to intervene in...

Franklin wrote: View Post
I'd think of it as a matter of risk. You've described risky scenarios where the payoff could be either great good or disaster on a galactic scale. So yes, it's probably not good to interfere, here.

Now if V-ger shows up at Earth's doorstep, or the whale probe does, and the threat is immediate and time is short, I could see Spock Prime saying, "I may be of some assistance, here."

Spock Prime could be like a firefighter helping put out fires when the occur, rather than the cop on the beat, trying to prevent or deter things from happening.
[EM He could prepare a series of files on a SFH computer with the prescribed solution enclosed which will not allow access until a pre-specified stardate.

YARN wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Well, Spock was the very first character to warn us of the dangers of contaminating the timeline back in 1966 with Tomorrow is Yesterday.
But that was a closed timeline where you could create causal paradoxes by killing your grandfather or breaking up mom and dad in 1955. With a branching timeline there are no dangers to the original timeline, because you're not in it anymore - indeed the only person in the nu-Trek verse who ever was is old-Spock.
I wish we knew for sure the old TT rules are permanently retired. Nutreks connection, as mentioned above, to ENT complicates the severing by association.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 07:50 AM   #50
RPJOB
Commander
 
RPJOB's Avatar
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

So it's important enough for Spock to try and save Vulcan and Earth but everyone that died because of Nomad (four billion inhabitants of the Malurian system), The Doomsday machine (at least two star systems and probably more not to mention the threat to the Orion system), the space ameba (billions of inhabitants of Gamma 7A system and the Intrepid) should just hope that Kirk just happens to be in the right place at the right time?

Don't forget, in regards to the number of surviving Vulcans, both Spocks were still of the opinion that the race was in danger of going extinct. If there were millions of survivors on hundreds of planets you'd think that one of them would have thought of that by then, not to mention the Federation. Would it really be the best thing for the survivors to be dumped on a new colony planet as opposed to one of the older, more established colonies? "Sorry you just lost your planet and most of your people. We're going to stick you over here on this uninhabited planet so you can start over from scratch." Even for a Vulcan that's pretty cold. It does make more sense if it's intended to be a new homeworld though.
__________________
We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill - today! - Kirk - A Taste of Armageddon
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 09:20 PM   #51
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

The best thing that Spock Prime can do is find a way back to his own timeline, in the 24th century. He simply doesn't belong there. He wished nu-Spock good luck. Now it is time for him to find a way home.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:41 AM   #52
RPJOB
Commander
 
RPJOB's Avatar
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Perhaps he isn't trying to get home because he knows it is no longer there? He's not the one that

It's Nu-Spock who says this:

The contrary, Nero's very presence has altered the flow of history, beginning with the attack on the USS Kelvin, culminating in the events of today, thereby creating an entire new chain of incidents, that cannot be anticipated by either party.

An alternate reality.

Precisely.

Whatever our lives might have been, if the time continuum was disrupted...our destinies have changed.
Old-Spock doesn't say anything on the matter one way or the other. Spock may have decided to stay to help the Vulcan survivors simply because he doesn't have anywhere else to go. If he had the chance you'd think he'd be concerned about the survivors of Romulus who don't have the Federation backing them up.
__________________
We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill - today! - Kirk - A Taste of Armageddon
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 12:18 AM   #53
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Perhaps he isn't trying to get home because he knows it is no longer there? He's not the one that

It's Nu-Spock who says this:

The contrary, Nero's very presence has altered the flow of history, beginning with the attack on the USS Kelvin, culminating in the events of today, thereby creating an entire new chain of incidents, that cannot be anticipated by either party.

An alternate reality.

Precisely.

Whatever our lives might have been, if the time continuum was disrupted...our destinies have changed.
Old-Spock doesn't say anything on the matter one way or the other. Spock may have decided to stay to help the Vulcan survivors simply because he doesn't have anywhere else to go. If he had the chance you'd think he'd be concerned about the survivors of Romulus who don't have the Federation backing them up.
Well, the comic book tie-in for the movie (Countdown) showed that the 24th century as we know it still existed after Spock and Nero disappeared. I think it is safe to say the the 24th century he knew still existed. Plus, old Spock knows about alternate universes from past experiences.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 08:56 AM   #54
RPJOB
Commander
 
RPJOB's Avatar
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Spock also knows of the universe being overwritten by changes to the past (City on the Edge of Forever and probably First Contact.) You would think that if he wanted to minimize his contamination of this new timeline he'd be working to get back to his own. It's not like taking care of 10,000 Vulcans is that big a job. It's a good sized town worth of people, not even a city. Even if there aren't other Vulcan colony worlds (and it doesn't appear that there are otherwise why not settle the survivors on one of them rather than finding a new wold for them to live on) the Federation could probably have a colony up and running in a matter of months if not weeks. All he's doing by sticking around is making himself a target and putting those around him in danger.
__________________
We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill - today! - Kirk - A Taste of Armageddon
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 06:23 PM   #55
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Spock also knows of the universe being overwritten by changes to the past (City on the Edge of Forever and probably First Contact.) You would think that if he wanted to minimize his contamination of this new timeline he'd be working to get back to his own. It's not like taking care of 10,000 Vulcans is that big a job. It's a good sized town worth of people, not even a city. Even if there aren't other Vulcan colony worlds (and it doesn't appear that there are otherwise why not settle the survivors on one of them rather than finding a new wold for them to live on) the Federation could probably have a colony up and running in a matter of months if not weeks. All he's doing by sticking around is making himself a target and putting those around him in danger.
Why is I'm the only one who sees the impotance of Kirk and all being in the right spot at the right time to stop Lazarus, The Space Ameoba, the Cloud Monster and The Doomsday Machine? V'Ger too I suppose...and at some point, somebody better start cloning some whales damnit.

You can't just leave some notes and hope it gets done, he should stick around for as long as he can and help.*

*Heh. and the first thing he does is to say "You and that Vulcan guy gotta have a bromance!!" Something the universe doesn't seem to think is a priority. At least nothing I've seen from the trailers indicates so. If anything the universe replaced Kirk with Uhura.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 09:29 PM   #56
UFO
Captain
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
If anything the universe replaced Kirk with Uhura.
Captain Uhura reporting for duty!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 11:27 PM   #57
RPJOB
Commander
 
RPJOB's Avatar
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post
Spock also knows of the universe being overwritten by changes to the past (City on the Edge of Forever and probably First Contact.) You would think that if he wanted to minimize his contamination of this new timeline he'd be working to get back to his own. It's not like taking care of 10,000 Vulcans is that big a job. It's a good sized town worth of people, not even a city. Even if there aren't other Vulcan colony worlds (and it doesn't appear that there are otherwise why not settle the survivors on one of them rather than finding a new wold for them to live on) the Federation could probably have a colony up and running in a matter of months if not weeks. All he's doing by sticking around is making himself a target and putting those around him in danger.
Why is I'm the only one who sees the impotance of Kirk and all being in the right spot at the right time to stop Lazarus, The Space Ameoba, the Cloud Monster and The Doomsday Machine? V'Ger too I suppose...and at some point, somebody better start cloning some whales damnit.

You can't just leave some notes and hope it gets done, he should stick around for as long as he can and help.*

*Heh. and the first thing he does is to say "You and that Vulcan guy gotta have a bromance!!" Something the universe doesn't seem to think is a priority. At least nothing I've seen from the trailers indicates so. If anything the universe replaced Kirk with Uhura.
You're not the only one. They branched off a universe where all of those things are out there waiting. Spock's more concerned with setting up housekeeping with the population of a small town. How many millions or billions is he putting at risk?
__________________
We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill - today! - Kirk - A Taste of Armageddon
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 08:03 AM   #58
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Perhaps he isn't trying to get home because he knows it is no longer there? He's not the one that

It's Nu-Spock who says this:

The contrary, Nero's very presence has altered the flow of history, beginning with the attack on the USS Kelvin, culminating in the events of today, thereby creating an entire new chain of incidents, that cannot be anticipated by either party.

An alternate reality.

Precisely.

Whatever our lives might have been, if the time continuum was disrupted...our destinies have changed.
Old-Spock doesn't say anything on the matter one way or the other. Spock may have decided to stay to help the Vulcan survivors simply because he doesn't have anywhere else to go. If he had the chance you'd think he'd be concerned about the survivors of Romulus who don't have the Federation backing them up.
I always interpreted that to mean the "prime" timeline was either just gone or inaccessible at best. Though NuSpock does imply heavily it's gone.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:41 PM   #59
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

RPJOB wrote: View Post
Spock's more concerned with setting up housekeeping with the population of a small town. How many millions or billions is he putting at risk?
Yep, the other thread got locked, but this is the other half of narrative elephant sitting in the middle of the writer's room. It's not a big deal, but it's amazing how we all feel compelled to deny that these stories even have the tiny or common flaws.

I think the last film was OK, but they did kind of write themselves into a spoiler/power-corner by keeping around a guy who has seen the next hundred years or so. No doubt they didn't kill him, just in case they wanted to insert another cameo, but it would have been better to axe Old Spock (Spock is dead long live nu-Spock!) to avoid these questions. Or better yet, they shouldn't have worried about the soft-reboot and sale-pitch and just started a new TOS story at year-one without importing Old Trek baggage. A clean break should be clean.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:44 PM   #60
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Surviving Vulcan Elders.

YARN wrote: View Post

Yep, the other thread got locked, but this is the other half of narrative elephant sitting in the middle of the writer's room. It's not a big deal, but it's amazing how we all feel compelled to deny that these stories even have the tiny or common flaws.
I feel the film has a ton of flaws, I just don't see Spock not going to change the timeline as one of them.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.