Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 14 2013, 04:12 PM   #751
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
T'Cal wrote: View Post
Before the 2009 film's success, my desire was to have Trek return to syndicated TV more as a 24th century show than strictly a TNG show. I have to admit that the reboot breathed new life into the franchise. I just hope that the Next Gen era is not done and that it returns in some form.
Read the novels! 24th century Trek never went away, and the current stories have a better hit/miss ratio than the TV shows did.
Sound advice for most but I just don't have the time. I do, however, enjoy audiobooks and have about three dozen Trek ones but they stopped making them a while ago. Too bad. I'd be listening to anything TNG (Titan included) and I'd probably give DS9 and VOY a try as well. For some strange reason, iTunes has Titan novels in German only. Crazy.

Thanks!
Old January 14 2013, 04:51 PM   #752
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I think anything in the 24th century following Voyager was somewhat ruined. A lot by "Endgame", but also DS9 changed a lot of things and set a lot of expectations. Every viewer would be wondering about the Dominion, but that shouldn't be a focus of Star Trek anymore.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:00 PM   #753
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
WOK is conceptually weak. Its entire plot teeters over a massive chasm of contrivance. It relies heavily on wizardry to create (and resolve) conflict. And the wishy-washy theme stumbles in several parts to the inevitable point where the conceit contradicts the set-up.
Trek XI is conceptually weak. It's entire plot teeters over a massive chasm of contrivance. It relies heavily on wizardry to create (and resolve) conflict. And the wishy-washy theme stumbles in several parts to the inevitable point where the conceit contradicts the set-up.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:41 PM   #754
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Trek XI is conceptually weak. It's entire plot teeters over a massive chasm of contrivance. It relies heavily on wizardry to create (and resolve) conflict. And the wishy-washy theme stumbles in several parts to the inevitable point where the conceit contradicts the set-up.
First, you're doing wrong. If you're going to troll, at least do it right. Jesus.

Second, you missed the point of the entire exercise. But then again, you didn't read it.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:43 PM   #755
YARN
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Second, you missed the point of the entire exercise. But then again, you didn't read it.
You mean your geological rant? You're punny.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:44 PM   #756
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Take the two most popular Trek movies in general. TWOK is a thirty year old movie. TVH is over twenty-five. When I paid money to see them in the theater when they were released, I walked out feeling thoroughly entertained. My friends and I would talk about the good and bad parts, then decide when we could get together to see them again.
Now, when I watch TWOK for maybe the twentieth time, parts can get tiresome. Heck, I'm thirty years older, too, and I'm bringing a different perspective to the movie every time I view it. Few things ever become timeless. That TWOK or TVH still provides any enetertainment value at all is probably amazing.

All I know is TWOK and TVH, flaws and all, have stood the test of time better than a lot of the music I listened to in the early and mid-1980s. "Classic Rock" my ass.
Old January 14 2013, 08:16 PM   #757
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

There's your first mistake. "Classic Rock" is NOT from the 1980s. It is, of course, from the 1970s.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:10 PM   #758
Dale Sams
Captain

I want to point out also that as very very good that Trek 2009 is...a large part of it is its budget, and the ability of Abrams to use his budget of course. But watch it again, man....look at all those great shots and locales!!

Shatner couldn't even get some damn rock creatures for TFF.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:12 PM   #759
Dale Sams
Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
Take the two most popular Trek movies in general. TWOK is a thirty year old movie. TVH is over twenty-five. When I paid money to see them in the theater when they were released, I walked out feeling thoroughly entertained. My friends and I would talk about the good and bad parts, then decide when we could get together to see them again.
Now, when I watch TWOK for maybe the twentieth time, parts can get tiresome. Heck, I'm thirty years older, too, and I'm bringing a different perspective to the movie every time I view it. Few things ever become timeless. That TWOK or TVH still provides any enetertainment value at all is probably amazing.

All I know is TWOK and TVH, flaws and all, have stood the test of time better than a lot of the music I listened to in the early and mid-1980s. "Classic Rock" my ass.
Well, a lot better than '80's movies' too, but there's a lot of good about new wave. Watch URGH! A MUSIC WAR. ****ing Nicki Minaj only wishes she could be so innovative.
Old January 14 2013, 10:45 PM   #760
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Ovation wrote: View Post
There's your first mistake. "Classic Rock" is NOT from the 1980s. It is, of course, from the 1970s.
You're both wrong. "Classic Rock" is from the 1960s.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:50 PM   #761
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
You're both wrong. "Classic Rock" is from the 1960s.
Damn old people. You can't even remember the right decade. Make up your minds.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:58 PM   #762
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Get off my lawn!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 11:15 PM   #763
Dale Sams
Captain

By the way...since this seems to be the catch-all' talk about Trek 2009 thread...Having just watched the film again. I figured out what I like most about it.

My biggest complaint about modern cinema and TV is the death of the normal-looking/ugly character actor.

The cast of Trek 2009? That is one bunch of normal, almost ugly looking fellas. with the exception of Uhura of course. Pine is weird though. You see him in publicity photos and he's almost stunningly good-looking, but the film showed him in all his pock-marked glory.

Congrats also to Abrams for getting very good jobs out of Hemsworth, Cross, Greenwood and even Ryder.
Old January 14 2013, 11:49 PM   #764
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ugly? Fanlore.org dubbed them GQMFers!
fanlore.org wrote:
GQMF stands for GQ motherfucker: a gorgeous, talented, kick-ass, all-around awesome humanoid being who would not look out of place on the cover of GQ magazine.
Well... maybe not Scotty...
Old January 15 2013, 12:17 AM   #765
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Ugly? Fanlore.org dubbed them GQMFers!
I'm pretty sure that originated at ontd_startrek, but I could be mistaken. Was all over there by end of May/early June 2009, anyway.