RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,257
Posts: 5,349,080
Members: 24,614
Currently online: 569
Newest member: robyn

TrekToday headlines

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 10 2013, 10:37 PM   #136
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

diankra wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I knew about the reciprocal relationship between Aurora and AMT, but not about the 1968 UK Spock kit. Thanks for the info, T-God.
It really originated in the UK in 1968? Star Trek wasn't run in the UK till June '69... Oh well, maybe they were planning ahead after looking at the US sales?
Yes, but Aurora jumped on licenses pretty quick when they were pushing TV and comic-based models. No other model maker during the 60s had as many licensed media figure kits, so its no surprise the striking look of Spock, the unusual uniform and weapons was thought to be right up their alley.

Aurora must have realized the BBC was preparing or interested in ST early on, as their box cover carried the line, "Mr. Spock of Star Trek - From the BBC TV series," instead of simply uisng AMT's subtitle "Star Trek's Most Popular Character."
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:19 AM   #137
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

AtoZ wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
It all adds up to the same thing for the lower tier cast: get over it.
Agreed. It was borderline insane to take what was in large part a fan invention of a completely united cast/happy family, then turn around and magnify Shatner's past into something negative for not fitting into that post-series invention.

...as mentioned a week ago, the lower tier cast conveniently spare Nimoy, who was bucking for an expanded role, more money, etc., which would not help give more screen time to the others, but reduce it, as the pie was primarily cut up between three actors. No word about that, but Nimoy was looking out for himself during the TOS production as much as Shatner. In fact, his high visibility in early merchandising (Spock was the only character to have his own model kit during the first run) insured he could argue for a bigger part/profit, and since Shatner was the series star and as crucial to its success as Nimoy, that meant the bitter bunch were not going to be elevated. Add guest stars--who serve the next vital component to weekly episodes, and the rest had to work with what was left.

Nimoy would not stand up for them until the TAS production intended to elminate the lower tier characters, but what was happening on the TOS set/production office was clear, yet they said nothing about it in their generations' worth of bitching.

Hypocrites.
Excellent post!
And what is particularly damning is the about-face some of them did. In the bio SHATNER WHERE NO MAN from 1979 came out, Doohan has words to the effect that Nimoy was always concerned about the character of Spock, but Shatner was concerned about the whole show.

Doohan even goes on to admit that while he might not have thought this way earlier, by the time he was interviewed he thought Shatner was the best actor in the cast. Now some of this could just be telling the interviewers what they wanted to hear, but why put it all across this way when you know you'll probably be dealing with these issues and questions repeatedly for the next 20 years?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:29 AM   #138
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed something, but if Sulu was supposed to get Excelsior by "the end of the month" why was Doogie Howser's dad the captain in the next movie?

Seriously, I don't think I've ever come across an explanation for that.
Well the novelization of SFS addressed it to some degree, with Sulu having been tarred by the brush of the Genesis affair (all that X-FILES/Watergate conspiracy feel of SFS is even more retro than TUC at times.)

it obviously worked out better for Sulu this way, since he didn't have to deal with the 'lemon' version of EXCELSIOR, and presumably only got command after it had been taken from experimental status (NX) to fully operational (NCC)

But there's a lot in TWOK that is ignored or contradicted in SFS. Even though all the 'Saavik is half-Rom' stuff is cut from TWOK, it is clear she ain't a straight Vulcan anyway, given the swearing, the emotional moodswings (she sounds like a panicked cheerleader when she squeak out, 'prepare for warp speed') and her coming on to Kirk (more pronounced in the ABC version by far, with a closeup that left very little open to interpretation.)

Yet in SFS Saavik -- as directed by Nimoy, so understand this is no criticism of Robin Curtis, who I think has gotten the short end of the stick from everybody for decades when I know for a fact she is capable of delivering a much fuller-blooded performance based on a forceful and devoted schoolteacher she once played later in the 80s -- is about as unemotional a Vulcan as one could imagine, only occasionally letting excitement over a discovery hint at emotions within. Certainly her lameass 'Admiral - David is dead' as Nimoy directs it is an epic stupendously embarrassing fail.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 08:58 PM   #139
AtoZ
Commander
 
AtoZ's Avatar
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

trevanian wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed something, but if Sulu was supposed to get Excelsior by "the end of the month" why was Doogie Howser's dad the captain in the next movie?

Seriously, I don't think I've ever come across an explanation for that.
Well the novelization of SFS addressed it to some degree, with Sulu having been tarred by the brush of the Genesis affair (all that X-FILES/Watergate conspiracy feel of SFS is even more retro than TUC at times.)

it obviously worked out better for Sulu this way, since he didn't have to deal with the 'lemon' version of EXCELSIOR, and presumably only got command after it had been taken from experimental status (NX) to fully operational (NCC)

But there's a lot in TWOK that is ignored or contradicted in SFS. Even though all the 'Saavik is half-Rom' stuff is cut from TWOK, it is clear she ain't a straight Vulcan anyway, given the swearing, the emotional moodswings (she sounds like a panicked cheerleader when she squeak out, 'prepare for warp speed') and her coming on to Kirk (more pronounced in the ABC version by far, with a closeup that left very little open to interpretation.)

Yet in SFS Saavik -- as directed by Nimoy, so understand this is no criticism of Robin Curtis, who I think has gotten the short end of the stick from everybody for decades when I know for a fact she is capable of delivering a much fuller-blooded performance based on a forceful and devoted schoolteacher she once played later in the 80s -- is about as unemotional a Vulcan as one could imagine, only occasionally letting excitement over a discovery hint at emotions within. Certainly her lameass 'Admiral - David is dead' as Nimoy directs it is an epic stupendously embarrassing fail.
ABC version? Please explain.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 09:37 PM   #140
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

ABC added some footage in their network broadcast, with alternate takes in the Saavik/Kirk turbolift scene. Those alternate takes included Saavik making more suggestive glances at Kirk.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 10:47 PM   #141
jayrath
Fleet Captain
 
Location: West Hollywood, Calif., USA
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

And where might we find this ABC version?
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:07 AM   #142
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

For a Saavik elevator scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYlPifDUBg
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:00 AM   #143
EEE
Captain
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
How about a robot salesman?

Bain ... They also had to ask her to "move her face around" when she acted. That first season whe was quite the block of wood.
This really cracks me up, because I ACTUALLY thought both Bain and Landau had NO facial muscles in the 60's (Mission Impossible). (I was even more amazed to learn well over a decade later, that they were married to each other! ...what were the chances of two people suffering from lack of facial muscles syndrome (LOFMS) meeting any marrying?)
EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 09:30 PM   #144
AtoZ
Commander
 
AtoZ's Avatar
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Melakon wrote: View Post
ABC added some footage in their network broadcast, with alternate takes in the Saavik/Kirk turbolift scene. Those alternate takes included Saavik making more suggestive glances at Kirk.
Ok, thank you. That explains my experience in January 1988. I was staying in a hotel and having a few late night drinks to pass the time when I came across TWOK. Watching it, it seemed different somehow and I couldn't put my finger on it, and it was the exact scene you have related.

Thank you. I always remembered that little event and always wondered if the drink affected me more than usual.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:48 AM   #145
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Maybe someday we can figure out why Scotty took his nephew to the bridge. Perhaps it was the verbal equivalent of hitting the wrong button on an elevator.

"Bridge! I mean Sickbay!!! ***-Damnit!!"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 07:05 AM   #146
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Maybe someday we can figure out why Scotty took his nephew to the bridge. Perhaps it was the verbal equivalent of hitting the wrong button on an elevator.

"Bridge! I mean Sickbay!!! ***-Damnit!!"
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:03 PM   #147
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Maybe someday we can figure out why Scotty took his nephew to the bridge. Perhaps it was the verbal equivalent of hitting the wrong button on an elevator.

"Bridge! I mean Sickbay!!! ***-Damnit!!"
This was addressed in Doohan's autobiography: "That was stupid. But that was Bill again. He railed over having to come down to engineering. He said this to Nick Meyer in front of me: 'Doohan's going to come to ME!' Now you can see why I just plain don't like the man. See, he didn't like Scotty and if you don't like Scotty, you don't like me. I don't know if I ever said this, but Scotty is 99% James Doohan and 1% accent. "


Nah, kidding.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:48 AM   #148
Photoman15
Fleet Captain
 
Photoman15's Avatar
 
Location: The sunny shores of Trenzalore
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
For a Saavik elevator scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYlPifDUBg
You forget how hot she was then. That was so seductive.
__________________
I refuse to put a signature here!
oh...uh...ummm
Photoman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:48 AM   #149
Photoman15
Fleet Captain
 
Photoman15's Avatar
 
Location: The sunny shores of Trenzalore
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
the public usually found spin-offs to be inferior...
Usually, yes. But let's not forget such spin-offs as
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle USMC (a spin-off of a spin-off)
The Jeffersons
The Bionic Woman
Maude
Barnaby Jones
Mork & Mindy
LaVerne & Shirley
Happy Days itself
Lou Grant
Rhoda
Jake and the Fatman
Good Times
Benson
Green Acres
Good Times was a spin off of Maude (so it was a spin-off of a spin-off too)
__________________
I refuse to put a signature here!
oh...uh...ummm
Photoman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 04:50 AM   #150
Photoman15
Fleet Captain
 
Photoman15's Avatar
 
Location: The sunny shores of Trenzalore
Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Josan wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
I always find it funny that during the production of TOS, Nimoy also line counted, made demands, and took advantage of his swelling popularity--it was about himself, not the supporting players (he did not become their official champion until the casting issues surrounding the animated series), yet they do not attack him, when his own demands certainly (in the big picutre) limited the supporters' weekly parts.
An excellent point.
But did he intentionally tank a scene with Takei that would have given him (Takei) command of a starship 4 films earlier than VI? Hnnh? HNNH!?

At least I think I read that.
So he would have a crippled (by Scotty) ship in III, not be in IV or V at all and have the same scenes in VI, maybe. By then, people would have thought "Sulu? Sulu Who?" and a different captain would have been helming the Excelsior. If Shatner did this on purpose, he did Takei the actor a big favor.
__________________
I refuse to put a signature here!
oh...uh...ummm
Photoman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.