Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 14 2013, 02:54 AM   #1
R. Star
Rear Admiral

First Contact Censorship?

I was watching First Contact on SyFy today, well had it running in the background anyways. I get they're going to censor a bit of the cursing, blow up the damn ship, to hell with the Phoenix, things like that.

Well what did surprise me is they bleeped out Cocharane's "Sweet Jesus!" when the Enterprise started following the Phoenix.

I mean... come on. Is our society becoming so "politically correct" that we can't even -mention- something mildly religious in public now? Really that's just sad.
Old January 14 2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: First Contact Censorship?

I just finished their broadcast of TVH and they left in all of Spock's "hells" in his conversation with Gillian about the whales. Of course bleeping those would ruin the joke. FC just started to I'll listen for the edits.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Kevin W.
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.

It's not surprising. Professor Farnsworth's "Sweet Zombie Jesus!" gets edited out as well.
Old January 14 2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

R. Star wrote: View Post
Well what did surprise me is they bleeped out Cocharane's "Sweet Jesus!" when the Enterprise started following the Phoenix.

I mean... come on. Is our society becoming so "politically correct" that we can't even -mention- something mildly religious in public now? Really that's just sad.
Actually you've got it backward. Bleeping out oaths like that and "G*ddamn" is done to protect the sensibilities of Christians who would find them blasphemous. After all, that would be using the Lord's name in vain, which violates the Third Commandment. It's also using the name disrespectfully, as a swear word, which is hardly properly religious.

And it's hardly a new trend. From a 1927 set of movie censorship guidelines:
Resolved, That those things which are included in the following list shall not appear in pictures produced by the members of this Association, irrespective of the mann[er] in which they are treated.

1. Pointed profanity-by either title or lip-this includes the words "God," "Lord," "Jesus," Christ" (unless they be used reverently in connection with proper religious ceremonies), "hell," "damn," "Gawd," and every other profane and vulgar expression however it may be spelled;
Ditto the Motion Picture Production Code of 1930: "The name of Jesus Christ should never be used except in reverence."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

It was only a couple of years ago that I noticed "faggot" was bleeped out of 'Money for Nothing'...even though Dire Straits are being completly ironic.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 05:59 AM   #6
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Pointing out restrictions in using the name "Jesus" in film-making guides from over 80 years ago is really stretching the point.

The movie is made. The references are there. What we are talking about here is SyFy's reason for editing them selectively. This is nothing new for the company that now owns SyFy. Google "SyFy censorship" for a plethora of examples. You should see what they've done to the lesbian relationship in "Lost Girl."
Old January 14 2013, 06:20 AM   #7
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

I find it incredibly funny that the reference in the movie was removed to prevent offending, and in doing so someone took offense.

Wow.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I think it's funny that my first exposure to Monty Python was on....PBS.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It's still there on both the Blu-ray and DVD versions of the film. I don't waste time with SyFy.
Old January 14 2013, 01:45 PM   #10
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

This is why it would be a good idea to have a constitutional article guaranteeing free speech.
Old January 14 2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
It was only a couple of years ago that I noticed "faggot" was bleeped out of 'Money for Nothing'...even though Dire Straits are being completly ironic.
Not anywhere else except the USA.
Old January 14 2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Pingfah
Admiral

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Pointing out restrictions in using the name "Jesus" in film-making guides from over 80 years ago is really stretching the point.

The movie is made. The references are there. What we are talking about here is SyFy's reason for editing them selectively. This is nothing new for the company that now owns SyFy. Google "SyFy censorship" for a plethora of examples. You should see what they've done to the lesbian relationship in "Lost Girl."
Christopher is right to correct the OP though, SyFy's reasoning in this case is nothing to do with avoiding the mention of religion, but rather avoiding offending the sensibilities of the sort of Christian who might get upset by blasphemy. I'm sure they didn't have those particular guidelines in mind when they did it, but in this case they did it for the same reason the guidelines were written.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
This is why it would be a good idea to have a constitutional article guaranteeing free speech.
Not sure what point you are trying to make? I am sure you are aware that the USA has a constitution that makes such a provision, but it cannot force a private TV company to broadcast material they don't want to, and nor should it.
Old January 14 2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Relayer1
Commodore

Resolved, That those things which are included in the following list shall not appear in pictures produced by the members of this Association, irrespective of the mann[er] in which they are treated.

1. Pointed profanity-by either title or lip-this includes the words "God," "Lord," "Jesus," Christ" (unless they be used reverently in connection with proper religious ceremonies), "hell," "damn," "Gawd," and every other profane and vulgar expression however it may be spelled;
But what if the 'offending' phrase isn't actually being incorrectly used ? Maybe the character is genuinely imploring the deity of their choice to damn someone ?
Old January 14 2013, 03:54 PM   #14
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post

Actually you've got it backward. Bleeping out oaths like that and "G*ddamn" is done to protect the sensibilities of Christians who would find them blasphemous. After all, that would be using the Lord's name in vain, which violates the Third Commandment. It's also using the name disrespectfully, as a swear word, which is hardly properly religious.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was going to mention.

But good on R.Star for blaming it on "political correctness", which of course is just a buzzword that means "those godless liberals". Swing and a miss, buddy.
Old January 14 2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Balrog
Commodore

That's nothing. The Family Channel took out the word "terrorists" during the scene Marty writes Doc a letter in Back to the Future.