Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 12 2013, 10:04 AM   #1606
Killie
Lieutenant

View Killie's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just posted my review for Shatner's Academy: Collision Course which can be read here if you are interested.

I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would considering how much I knew it would diverge from other novels following Kirk's younger years.

I am currently reading "The Last Wish" which is the first novel in The Witcher series which of course inspired a couple of PC games.
Killie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 11:39 PM   #1607
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Mere Anarchy: Things Fall Apart and started Mere Anarchy: The Centre Cannot Hold. Yesterday, I also read the first story from IDW's ongoing Star Trek comic, an adaptation of "Where No Man Has Gone Before."
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 12:55 AM   #1608
Snaploud
Admiral

I recently finished The Path to Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson by Robert Caro.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:07 PM   #1609
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Mere Anarchy: The Centre Cannot Hold today and started Mere Anarchy: Shadows of the Indignant. Yesterday I read the second story in IDW's ongoing Star Trek comic, "The Galileo Seven".
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Old January 13 2013, 09:00 PM   #1610
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Finished Plagues of Night last night, about 1/3 into Raise the Dawn now.
Old January 14 2013, 03:19 AM   #1611
Markonian
Captain

Finished Star Trek: The Next Generation: Invasion!: Book 2: Soldiers of Fear. Book 3, DS9's Time's Enemy is already bought and downloaded but I haven't started reading it yet.

The TNG book was solid. I read that the book wasn't good but I liked it. The only downside I can think of is that the Furies were now fully presented as enemies you harbour little to no sympathy for. They were more likeable in Book 1. Let's see how it turns out in the two remaining issues.
Old January 14 2013, 03:58 AM   #1612
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
ronny wrote: View Post
The next one on my list is Flashback. Since this one is a single episode instead of a 2 parter there's going to be a ton of new content and since we've got Sulu it's all going to be about how TOS was the real Star Trek.
Flashback isn't bad, honestly. It was a decent novelization/expansion. As for Equinox, Broken Bow and the others? Nah, as much as I love her writing, it never really works for anything but TOS. The editors kept assigning novelizations to Carey because she could do them quickly.

However, to this day, Final Frontier remains my favorite Trek novel.
Hey, I was surprised, I didn't think Flashback was that bad either. Well, until the tacked on obligatory Kirk worship in the final 3 chapters. I was REALLY expecting a ton of TOS worship and she pretty much avoided that most of the way. None of the characters talk or think they way I expect them to but that's not always a negative in a Voyager novel.

I'll blasting through Broken Bow during the downtimes while watching the Golden Globes.

The book I'm really reading right now is DTI: Watching the Clock. I'm totally enjoying it. I'm about a quarter of the way through. The opening couple of paragraphs cracked me up. I haven't figured out if there's an ongoing plot or if it's a series of events tied to various time travel episodes but it doesn't matter. I'm having a lot of fun reading this.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:32 AM   #1613
Reanok
Commodore

I'm reading an older TNG novel Blaze of Glory by Simon Hawke.I really liked his other novel I recently read The Romulan prize.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 08:15 AM   #1614
TJ Sinclair
Captain

ronny wrote: View Post
Hey, I was surprised, I didn't think Flashback was that bad either. Well, until the tacked on obligatory Kirk worship in the final 3 chapters. I was REALLY expecting a ton of TOS worship and she pretty much avoided that most of the way. None of the characters talk or think they way I expect them to but that's not always a negative in a Voyager novel.
Well, since hardly any of the characters, especially Janeway, talked or behaved the same way from one episode to another, getting the characterizations spot-on in a novel can be a little dodgy.

In general, I like Diane Carey's approach to Janeway. I do think Flashback is probably the best example of it, though.
Old January 14 2013, 09:37 AM   #1615
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Have to read more ST novels. Just finished "The Statesman's Book" by John of Salisbury (c. 1159) which almost would justify the Inquisition and the Witch Trials of times long ago (I guess). But it is one of the source documents for "Great Political Thinkers" (4th ed.) by Ebenstein. Now about 38% of the way through Only Superhuman by Christopher L. Bennett (c. 2011 or 2012) and appreciating it immensely. A contrast with the other book. E-readers are quite different from reading hard copies. Maybe I shall start reading the regular DS9 books sometime soon. Only finished watching Season 4 just earlier this month. LLAP
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:04 AM   #1616
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill. Also, Only Superhuman by Christopher L. Bennett.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:05 PM   #1617
Garrovick
Commander

Currently reading:
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (been following The Wheel of Time since 1993, kind of weird knowing that this is the last volume although I do think it ran too long)
Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly
The Cry of the Onlies (TOS #46) by Judy Klass

Over the last week, I completed:
Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire by David R. George III
Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly
Masks (TNG #7) by John Vornholt
The Captain's Honor (TNG #8) by David and Daniel Dvorkin (surprised there wasn't a sequel to this book, at least as far as I know)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier novelization by J. M. Dillard
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:26 PM   #1618
Paris
Commodore

Just finished Oblivion, the 4th (or 5th?) Stargazer novel. It features Picard's first meeting with Guinan. Not bad. Gonna try out the next one, Enigma.
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 12:11 AM   #1619
sportzkid
Rear Admiral

View sportzkid's Twitter Profile

Jaro Stun wrote: View Post
DTI Watching the clock
A quite well done Time Travel book.
sportzkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 03:54 AM   #1620
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I'm still reading Mere Anarchy: Shadows of the Indignant. Over the last two days I read Volume 2 of IDW's ongoing Trek comics, which included the stories Operation: Annihilate and Vulcan's Vengeance.